Gary Buckenara, SWPHU?

Was listening to the Road To The Draft podcast, and Gary Buckenara (ex-Hawthorn recruiting manager) said he’s looking for a similar role at another AFL club next year. I’m not a big “Sack Dodoro” type, but it’d have to be tempting to have a look at him.

He’d be able to identify talent quite well.

He had a Bucken good game last week and he’ll be looking to have a Bucken good game again today…

There is a 12th man reference in here somewhere.

Where’s my buccaneers?

Under my bucken hat!

There’s a chance we’d recruit an indigenous player.

Wasn’t Pelchen the head of recruitment? Would still like to add him to our staff, just wondering what his role would be/was.

Wasn't Pelchen the head of recruitment? Would still like to add him to our staff, just wondering what his role would be/was.

I think Pelchen was their list manager.

Please rename thread to WSAFP.

WSAFP = Would should ask for permission.

Buckenara was the head of recruiting til 04 I think? so Hodge, Ladson, Croad, Mitchell, Lewis, Sewell, Buddy, Roughead, Taylor, Wampbell etc - the guts of the first flag list.

Pelchen took over from 05 (with Pelchen bumped down to doing the West or East). Birchall, Thorp - some good, some bad.

I don’t know if you could argue he was good at the Saints. Got their pick 1s & 2s right, but that’s the easy bit, haven’t really started the upswing yet and Montagna et al are still playing key roles.

Beautiful kick.

Please rename thread to WSAFP.

WSAFP = Would should ask for permission.

WSLIIISETIAGIF

We should look into it if someone else thinks it’s a good idea first

Champion guy, champion at his job.

Whatever it takes. But I’m guessing there’s no spot?

Champion guy, champion at his job.

Whatever it takes. But I’m guessing there’s no spot?

I’d guess there isn’t a spot currently, but I wouldn’t be opposed to making one.

I don’t think the recruiting is too bad, but you could always beef it up.

Buckenara was one of the only 80s Hawks that I liked, would have played well in any era. Him and Tuck.

Our list mange net group needs a restructure I think, AD and MK do a great job spotting but need help and independent evaluation when it comes to trades and list assessment, I think AD in particular gets a little to attached personally with some players, these are areas Buckenara could really move that department to the next level

Thought you meant we should pick him up as a forward. Would snag a few.

Do clubs employ schmoozers who get trades done behind the scenes, or is it simply left to player agents to negotiate between clubs? I’m not sure exactly how it works but could the club hire an ex-player agent who has inside knowledge on players wanting to leave their club, other clubs list balance etc. I feel like every trade period we’re reactionary to everything going on.