Gather Round - General discussion

Glad i missed last nights game.

Sometimes on a Friday night its better to have a few beers and forget about the footy.

Im still vibing the dons post stkilda

2025 Gather Round set for April 10th-13th

1 Like

At least we will be playing a non SA club.

1 Like

meh

1 Like

I’d rather we played an SA club at Gather Round each year.

Gets rid of an away trip when we need to travel anyway. Also gives us a main billing each time.

3 Likes

I don’t think it does does it?

We generally play both Adelaide teams away in any given season, don’t we?

Merging it in with Gather Round saves it being another Adelaide trip. Besides, big club = big games, right? Main billing during the round should be something we want.

2 Likes

Better to play there a max of 2 times instead of 3. It will be someone elses turn anyway next year.

1 Like

It’s an extra away game though, so we got 12 away this year compared to 11 last year.

RE: SA Premier Malinauskas claiming Gather Round in Sydney would be ‘dog sh*t’.

Good on him. Probably some of the most insular people on earth.

Perhaps but the Premier is spot on.
Sydney sports fans don’t rock up to events.
Adelaide, Melbourne, Perth are about the only places it would work

2 Likes

They deserve one year at hosting it at some point.

If it doesn’t work? Fair enough. But at least give it a try.

Ideally I would like it rotated in 3 year cycles.

I don’t think it’d work in Melbourne.

There’s 4-5 games here most weekends anyway. Unless games were played in regional Vic towns, then it might work.

SA has got it until 2026 and then bids will open up again. Every state is free to make a bid and pay for it

The first two years have been a great success. But need to ensure it doesn’t get stale.

1 Like

Yeah share it around it’s gonna start to get boring in s.a, however malinaskus is the best leader in Australia.

NRL Magic round has been in Brisbane since 2019 and hasn’t lost any of its appeal

I’m not a fan of moving it, see no advantage and plenty of pitfalls. Can only see it getting bigger and better in SA

If people (rightly) start to jack up about the air fare ripoff, they will stop going, and it will not be a success. It is totally dependent on the fanatacism of Victorian supporters being prepared to travel to see their team early in the season.
I’d love to see a boycott by Victorians, or at least a fall off from refusing to cop the airfares and accommodation hikes. I hate seeing that rewarded.

They’ve got nowhere else to go though coz no other states are interested, gather round would be awesome in Perth or Brisbane imo and it’s a good way to promote the game (which the idea was originally designed for).