General AFLW comments and articles

Good work, Marnie. I bet she had to leave explicit notes for the editor not to fark the below up. For a joke almost none of the readers will appreciate.

Many of the players in this VFLW squad will be part of the Essendon AFLW team, including co-captain Georgia Nanscawen, Joanna Doonan, Danielle Marshall, Jordan Zanchetta and Federica Frew. It’s hard to watch “Freds” bag goal after goal on the weekend and not daydream about what that is going to look like at AFLW level.

2 Likes

It was previously but the last couple of years it’s been shithouse. More going out than coming in isn’t sustainable.

The expansion signing period will start on May 24, with the full Sign and Trade period to kick off on May 31.

The NAB AFLW Draft will be held on June 29, but pre-season will begin without the full complement of players, starting a few weeks prior on June 13.

Not clear if the expansion (POACHING) signing period ends before the normal Trade period.

So AFLW training is immediately after round one of the VFLW finals.

Well you’d better start your pre-pre seasoning training then!

Key dates

A post was split to a new topic: Welcome to Essendon - Sophie van de Heuvel

The one big problem I see with the different season is that all the decent grounds are out of action.
Crows for instance would have to host a GF at somewhere like Norwood Oval in front of 12-15k and I’m guessing the same in other states which is a pity if they are trying to grow the game. Maybe in a few years they will align it with the mens season?

And for that reason you’d think the VFLW* would be unlikely to follow them to late in the year, so there is no reserves comp to fall back to. In which case very few NAB Leaguers will get a chance to stretch themselves in the VFLW, because they’re being drafted shortly after their season ends. And then those year 12 kids are full-on training and perhaps playing during their final months of school.

*and “equivalent” in other states

(Essendon is one of the few clubs to have a dedicated ground. We got an extra home game last year because of that, and this year have played a lopsided HH-A-HH-AA-HHH-AAAA-H).

Sydney just poached Brooke Lochland from the Doggies.

She joins Huntington, Toogood and Marshall as former Doggies forwards who have fled Whitten Oval.

2 Likes

Is there a limit to how many players are allowed to be poached from a single club?

The AFL will announce that rule after it is too late :wink:

1 Like

QUICK PLUG:

As mentioned by Madam President @Catherine_Lio on Twitter last week, you can make a $50 contribution to the club’s AFLW program and get first access to the club’s AFLW Foundation Membership.

Details on the club website at:

1 Like

And the club are contacting any current members with the VFLW add on and asking if they want to be foundation members of ESS AFLW. They are offering game day access membership as well as a non access membership.

P.S. VFLW membership is less than $50. Though they might question your credibility jumping on with one H&A round to go…

The VFLW add on is no longer available. I wonder if it will be next year or will it be rolled into the AFLW one?

1 Like

Everyone should get on board with Essendon AFLW, if only for the reason it is the Club’s probable only hope of winning a final and/or flag in any of our lifetimes!

2 Likes

cough or the VFLW on the first weekend of July?

3 Likes

I meant at AFL level.

But yes, go the mighty VFLW team this year.:+1:

1 Like
2 Likes

May I ask where are we playing our home games?

All Windy Hill? Or will Marvel get a look in for the first game?