General AFLW comments and articles

My niece (16 yo) is a very promising soccer player but her mother is reluctant to let her fulfill her ambitions in the sport as she's worried her daughter will become a lesbian. In response I told her that although I'm not an expert, I'm reasonably sure that you can't be converted to lesbianism just by being around lesbians, rather sexual orientation is an innate response that isn't influenced by environmental factors. In other words she is already a lesbian or she isn't. She then countered my point with the two girls from The Batchelor becoming intimate after spending time together in the batchelor compound, claiming that these two came together because of the environment they were in. At that point I suggested we stop hypothesising about her daughter, my niece and her private leanings and start focusing on how many goals she will ultimately score for The Matildas.

There’s nothing like a p.o.s 'merican pseudo-reality show to educate the masses.

I played cricket for years and didn’t “become lesbian.” You can use that as your anecdotal evidence if you like :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think any of the girls I knew of “changing over” were any surprise. In a number of cases, it was more surprising that they were married to men in the first place, but the 70’s and 80’s were much less liberal times than today. Times, they were a-changing, but not that quickly.

I knew a lot more lesbian girls through cricket than I knew gay guys. I don’t think I knew any guys (in my various circles) until my mid 40s. There were always bartenders, guys in menswear shops and guys in book shops who had more than a whiff of lavender about them, but they just weren’t in my circle.

I once worked in menswear.

And my first job after leaving school was in a ladies hair salon.

My niece (16 yo) is a very promising soccer player but her mother is reluctant to let her fulfill her ambitions in the sport as she's worried her daughter will become a lesbian. In response I told her that although I'm not an expert, I'm reasonably sure that you can't be converted to lesbianism just by being around lesbians, rather sexual orientation is an innate response that isn't influenced by environmental factors. In other words she is already a lesbian or she isn't. She then countered my point with the two girls from The Batchelor becoming intimate after spending time together in the batchelor compound, claiming that these two came together because of the environment they were in. At that point I suggested we stop hypothesising about her daughter, my niece and her private leanings and start focusing on how many goals she will ultimately score for The Matildas.

My mum was against me getting an Essendon tattoo because she thought it would turn me unto a lesbian. Wog theories.

My mum was against me getting an Essendon tattoo because she thought it would turn me unto a lesbian. Wog theories.

One week in and we have the Age spruiking an exclusive about the AFLs first openly gay couple in the women's comp. duh.

“It’s not a womens sport story - it’s a LESO story!”

My cousin had a job at The Men’s Gallery in King St while we were at Uni. When he told Nana, she was pretty chuffed that one of the kids had a good respectable job in a menswear store.

My cousin had a job at The Men’s Gallery in King St while we were at Uni. When he told Nana, she was pretty chuffed that one of the kids had a good respectable job in a menswear store.

It is a respectable occupation. No where near as ‘flamboyant’ as Noonan would have us believe.

It is a respectable occupation. No where near as ‘flamboyant’ as Noonan would have us believe.

It was, once upon a time, a very ‘flamboyant’ occupation.
Almost window dresser, le girls level ‘flamboyant’

Have noticed a lot (if not all) of the collision injuries in the Women’s are either a result of fumbling then getting creamed in a tackle/bump or getting picked off in a shepherd owing to having Justin Koschitzke-like awareness

That’s not Wog theories, that’s just old style stupidy

I remember training at La Trobe Uni Rugby Union back in the mid 90’s, back when I had some toe and all my hamstrings attached. We managed to get a girls team together consisting of girlfiends and Islanders (and then their cousins, and theie cousins etc…) and often cross pollinated the training with the men. A couple of the girls went on to play for Aus, one of them became the captain. Surprisingly the AFLW makes me muse of those days (getting old clealry) and the clubs involvement in women’s RU. I initially wasn’t too fussed about the AFLW concept either way, but after watching a match, and then a few more, I’m happy to say I like it for what it is, and look forward to Essendon joining the frey (eventually).

I knew a lot more lesbian girls through cricket than I knew gay guys. I don't think I knew any guys (in my various circles) until my mid 40s. There were always bartenders, guys in menswear shops and guys in book shops who had more than a whiff of lavender about them, but they just weren't in my circle.

Not sure what it is about women’s sport that seems to attract a higher percentage of lesbians than other areas of “life”.

There’s nothing like a p.o.s 'merican pseudo-reality show to educate the masses.

I agree with you on one hand but they’re quite square people who only interact with the homosexual by chance. Their views are formed by the church and from conversing with their fellow churchie friends. In fairness, its no surprise that they think like they do. They’re not bad people, just a regular suburban family who probably haven’t been to the inner city since the 80’s.

Betcha they have the darnest fantasies…

Really? And now you wear a dress, I gather?

I like to wear a sulu on hot days.

I like to wear a sulu on hot days.

A few people do, you Trekkie, you.

It’s sure taken off. Offsiders today, was all girls on the couches, and the whole show was about women’s sport. The upsurge in general, but especially footy.

Then I just saw Channel Nien had a dedicated show on it, creatively called “Women’s Footy”. Inspired choice that.

Hosted by Tiffany Cherry, … who I still strongly suspect is the inspiration behind Jackie’s “Tiff”

Where you up for the inside leg measuring, for made to measure pants & suits? Not an enjoyable task, I'd imagine