General AFLW comments and articles

Wouldn't go and watch even if we had a team must would've more than happy for us to have one. Still washing my eyes out after seeing Michael Long in Crows gear over the weekend

WHAT?!

Wouldn't go and watch even if we had a team must would've more than happy for us to have one. Still washing my eyes out after seeing Michael Long in Crows gear over the weekend

WHAT?!

I think the Crows team is in a partnership with the NT women and maybe Michael has a interest with the indigenous NT girls and was there to promote it. He was shown on the news wearing Crows apparel

WHAT?!

I would have thought that Longy would have shied away from wearing any jumpers with horizontal stripes on them these days.

Mike Sheahan’s daughter Kate made her debut for the Pies tonight at the age of 35. Sadly she did her knee, badly.

There must be Melbourne surgeons everywhere licking their lips watching the AFLW

There must be Melbourne surgeons everywhere licking their lips watching the AFLW

I was listening to the outer sanctum podcast, they had a guest on who is involved at melb uni AFLW team. They recently signed up with a physio place thats doing testing for them and trying to prevent ACL’s because women are apparently predisposed to the injury, They went from 6 ACLs the previous year to none so far. Might be worth quite a bit for these teams to get something like this going.

I was listening to the outer sanctum podcast, they had a guest on who is involved at melb uni AFLW team. They recently signed up with a physio place thats doing testing for them and trying to prevent ACL’s because women are apparently predisposed to the injury, They went from 6 ACLs the previous year to none so far. Might be worth quite a bit for these teams to get something like this going.

Across every sport in the world (that has been assessed/studied) women are at least twice as likely (up to 9 times depending on the source of info) to tear a ACL than men.
There’s no single factor, so it’s going to be hard to ever get that number down

Across every sport in the world (that has been assessed/studied) women are at least twice as likely (up to 9 times depending on the source of info) to tear a ACL than men.
There’s no single factor, so it’s going to be hard to ever get that number down

im just repeat what they said here.

but they screen those severely at risk and put them on a super modified program to strengthen the area.

I have no expertise with sport science but it was an interesting topic and sometimes preventative measures seem to be a second class citizen in sport.

I can’t play anymore (too old) so I watch a lot of local footy, VFL footy, pre-season footy some women’s local league matches and even go nuts at intra-club games (can’t lose!). The AFL women’s comp is OK and will only get better. Watch it for what it is, footy. Don’t expect Essendon of 2000, that will come.

Its called hormones. Dr Larkin mentioned it in a segment after the 1st game (coll v carl). Women will have more soft tissue and ligament damage due to the hormones weakening the tendons and muscles.

There are a few other reasons as well (muscle mass - related to hormones but not quite the same thing, biomechanics - specifically pelvic structure)

Were putting in a application for a team apparently

Looks like we need to care now!
Go team.

Hopefully no essington women.

2 Likes

If we get it. Looks like another long to don the sash.

1 Like

Yay. Doesn’t seem like we are first in line though…

Makes me happy reading Longs daughters comments

4 Likes

I reckon we’re a shot purely for the cash cow that is EFC and the afl loves a good cash cow.

4 Likes

AFL will quickly forget Geelong and St Kildas bid when the 2 biggest clubs not yet playing Essendon and Richmond show an interest in bidding.

2 Likes

Hope we are successful.

2 Likes

It shouldn’t be about which teams are deserving, but which teams could do it sustainable.

Essendon, Hawks, Richmond, West Coast, Port Adelaide and even Geelong have massive supporter bases and incredible financial draw. North and Saints are just there… not really thriving as clubs.

The big clubs should be able to create sustainable talent pools as well as providing good facilities for the women to ensure that the teams thrive.