General AFLW comments and articles

P.S. VFLW membership is less than $50. Though they might question your credibility jumping on with one H&A round to go…

The VFLW add on is no longer available. I wonder if it will be next year or will it be rolled into the AFLW one?

1 Like

Everyone should get on board with Essendon AFLW, if only for the reason it is the Club’s probable only hope of winning a final and/or flag in any of our lifetimes!

2 Likes

cough or the VFLW on the first weekend of July?

3 Likes

I meant at AFL level.

But yes, go the mighty VFLW team this year.:+1:

1 Like
2 Likes

May I ask where are we playing our home games?

All Windy Hill? Or will Marvel get a look in for the first game?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Welcome to Essendon - Daria Bannister

Good question.

……that I personally have no answer for. I would imagine Windy Hill will be right up there.

Lift your game CATH

1 Like
1 Like

I’ll bump this thread instead of the other one this time… well done, Ruby.

1 Like

Good news for Ruby.

I reckon [redacted expletive] Carlton fans are leaving their club a lot quicker than their players are.

The meltdowns are gold.

1 Like

With Bannister & Frew in the team a good strong forward line goes a long way in AFLW.

PORT ADELAIDE marquee signing Erin Phillips has been selected to take part in the AFL’s Women’s Coaching Acceleration Program.

Successful applicants will be employed by their AFL club for at least two-years between now and 2025 and will work toward achieving a level 3 AFL coaching accreditation.

As part of the program, Phillips will be involved in a formal mentorship with Port Adelaide men’s head coach Ken Hinkley, who is also working closely with women’s head coach Lauren Arnell, to support her professional development.

Port Adelaide Head of AFLW Juliet Haslam is pleased the club can support Phillips’s development.

“Coaching is a promising future pathway for Erin and we’re thrilled she has chosen Port Adelaide to support her toward developing her career in elite sport.

“We are very passionate at our club about having strong, capable women in leadership roles and we are excited to see Erin take on this opportunity.”

AFL general manager women’s football Nicole Livingstone said the committee was impressed with all nine applications and the club’s presentations.

“Pleasingly, all nine senior AFL coaches were not only in attendance, but genuinely spoke about their desire to have women coaching in their AFL programs,” Livingstone said.

"Today’s announcement is a major step towards the AFL’s Women’s Football Vision 2021-2030, where we want to see 50 per cent of AFLW senior coaching positions held by women.

"In season seven, Bec Goddard, Natalie Wood and Lauren Arnell will all hold senior coaching roles.

“The Women’s Coaching Acceleration program will expedite the development of the industry’s best women coaches and increase the number of women in coaching roles across men’s and women’s programs.”

The program will be overseen by a women’s senior coach acceleration steering committee, which includes Livingstone and former Australian Women’s cricket captain Belinda Clark.

Nine AFL clubs had female coaching candidates who were successful in their applications.

Port Adelaide: Erin Phillips
Adelaide Crows: Chelsea Randall
Brisbane Lions: Emma Zielke
Collingwood: Chloe McMillan
Essendon: Natalie Wood
Geelong Cats: Daisy Pearce
GWS GIANTS: Alicia Eva
Hawthorn: Bec Goddard
North Melbourne: to be announced

1 Like

So Daisy Pearce is retiring, or moving clubs, after this season.

LOL. Nice undercutting of the whole program/announcement. Give the usual misogynist crew something extra to sook about.

Or, for me, to mock Norf. Applies for grant from sugar daddy, gets it, realises too late they may have to do something to make that gift look legit.

Has been offered a assistant gig for the mens program under Chris Scott I believe

Hmmm.

1 Like

Two weeks notice before draft. Cool, cool.

DRAFTEES who are still completing year 12 will be able to play AFLW in the upcoming season, but will be required to work with a newly appointed AFLW player engagement manager to create bespoke programs to balance school and footy.

Players who fall into this category will be known as “development players” and will work with the engagement manager, their club’s player development manager, their school and their parent/carer to prioritise their final year of study.

Engagement plans will be created with each player, outlining their school and study commitments, key dates and the individual support needed to complete year 12.

Development players will have to attend one training session a week, with one optional session also available, while training plans can also be created with the club to provide flexibility if required.

The previous pre-season – which started in September – also saw draftees attend limited training sessions, but all had graduated by the time the season commenced.

Selection to play is dependent on a conversation between the club and the player development manager.

Once a student has graduated, they can rejoin the full AFLW program.

If players need to relocate after the NAB AFLW Draft (e.g. regional or interstate, the latter of which only occurs after a player has nominated that particular state), they can move after they finish school, and can train with their current club in the meantime.