General AFLW comments and articles

Seriously, was Ashleigh Matosevic drunk? They had the Hawks fourth as well!

Their pre-season was a loss to wooden spooners WCE and being obliterated (scorewise) by Richmond.

Daisy Pearce has run her eye over the AFLW expansion teams, with the season set to kick off this Thursday night.

Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and Sydney are the four new sides in the competition, with all 18 AFL teams now represented.

They all took different strategies in building their lists, with Essendon and Port Adelaide going after ready-made talent, while Sydney has taken the long road, putting a young list together.

Hawthorn meanwhile missed out on the top names when putting their list together and have also gone down a draft heavy approach.

Pearce believes Essendon could immediately push for finals this season.

“I think there’s been a couple of different models in the ways they’ve gone about it,” the Melbourne captain told SEN’s Whateley.

“Essendon have probably been the ones that have gone after existing talent and been able to land a couple of really big recruits like Maddy Prespakis and Georgia Gee.

“They’ve been able to flush out players from all around the country like Steph Cain, Bonnie Toogood’s played some great footy at the Bulldogs, Sophie Van De Heuvel who is a young player from Geelong.

“They’ve been able to piece together this pretty talented list and I think they’ll be pretty competitive.

“And with the way that expansion has kind of eaten into the middle-tier teams from last year and I think Essendon could be competitive enough to get into finals if they can stay healthy.”

[snip stuff about othewr teams]

1 Like

18 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2022 Rnd 1: Non-Essendon Lady Games

Hmmm.

Care to comment, @PH_WARFRadio?

3 Likes

6 Likes

Are there any good AFLW podcasts?

Isn’t Nicole Livingston the AFL House go to?
She has been featured bragging about what a good job the AFL has done, Marvel a sellout!

I will. This guy stalked our players socials and put everyone on high alert by walking into the rooms after games. Incredibly glad he doesn’t have accreditation.

6 Likes

also 7 and fox are very much promoting aflw at every turn

too many people think “i haven’t seen an ad in the incredibly limited time i have watched a channel” = not being promoted

1 Like

Ha, the extent of their coverage on July 3 was one retweet.

AFL on a huge catch up with promoting the W from NRL, FIFA is so far ahead, recent European comp had a huge audience and spectators at the ground matched male sports.
NRL the first to volunteer for a clinical scientific study on the impact of menstrual cycles on sport .performance in all sports in which females compete.

Yes! Sash W: New Beginnings - The Sash

3 Likes

I won’t speak about Brent Douglas, because frankly I don’t know him, but on the general vibe on AFL House being inconsistent/difficult to deal with, I agree.

Just two days ago, a station I use to call for (3WBC) announced they were doing Hawthorn AFLW games.

I asked them (in private) how did that happen, and the comments were they only wanted to do a couple of games, and the league responded back, why not do the whole season, as they were looking for more coverage of their games.

I was white hot with anger when I found this out. I had been trying since season 1 to get permission from the AFL to cover the AFLW and got knocked back year after year.

For an exception like this to occour now, just guts me. After all the years of effort for nothing in return

I could go on, but best not :sob:

7 Likes

That’s shithouse.

edit: oohhh made it around the swear filter

4 Likes

Yikes!

Going to pop this in here in case anyone knows some great women at any level of footy that deserve to be recognised and drink champagne. Nominations close on the 2nd of September :trophy:

http://www.grandfinalcomedydebate.com.au/criteria-nominations

1 Like

Montana Ham did a knee in her first game?

GWS gals are in the MEL VA lounge here currently enjoying a few Ciders. In very good spirits despite the result

2 Likes

The standard has definitely gone up in my opinion. The one difference is a lot can actually get off a handball when tackled now, which makes it a lot less stop/ start and congested.

I reckon it’s about u16 boys standard now and that’s not to be disparaging, as I think it was about 14s level last season.

It is not only disparaging but completely wrong.

Pointless comparing mens football to womens; if you compare the Essendon AFL team to the AFLW team, the difference is the women try harder, play with passion, tackle and run out the game to the end.