Gold Coast away first round 2016

2016, 2015, 2013, 2009, 2007, 2004 and 2003 - 7 times in 14 seasons. So we’re a 50:50 chance to play interstate R1.

But since 1990 (and incl 2016), looking at the other 3 of the Big 4 Vic clubs:

Collingwood - 3 times (1990, 2015, 2016)
Carlton - 4 times (1994, 2001, 2003, 2004)
Richmond - 2 times (2014, 1990)

Add our 1993 Perth game in R1 and we’ve played interstate R1 8 times.

Please don’t tell me they are going to trickle out fixtures

Rarely but a good interstate trip to get out of the way

Will be a tricky proposition with Ablett

It looks like an afternoon game, but is that confirmed?

Not that I’ve seen. I think it’s confirmed on Thursday when the full draw is released.

It looks like an afternoon game, but is that confirmed?

Will hopefully book my flights this week. Always a good chance for a mini holiday

Just booked flights, was half price to fly to Brisbane instead and rent a car.

Coolangatta is one of the shittest airports.

Have you flown to Broome?

key words, one of.

Given the size of the town that airport is good

Yep and the Gold Coast doesn’t really interest me so will just base myself in Brissie and drive to the game.
Was only $330 return from Adelaide with Tiger

Thanks for the inspiration Ace. We just booked flights ourselves. $325 return from Hobart on Jetstar.

Hobart?

I went to the Gold Coast v Essendon game this year and there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that the lack of car parking and transport is a major factor in why sport doesn't survive in QLD.

Not only is there no parking, the drop off and pickup for those that don’t catch a bus is ridiculously on the other side of a double highway.

Plus if you do catch a bus then it’s simply madness after the game lining up then cramming in like sardines. Most of the locals catch a train or bus to nerang station then get an overcrowded shuttle from there.

I did read in the local paper that the state government had recognised how ordinary the setup was and had committed to building a car park before the commonwealth games.

Plus 1. Especially when the demographic they most crave is young families/kids.

There's some properties around the ground that do shonky parking. Otherwise drive to the shopping mall at Broadbeach, take the free bus to the ground then after the game eat at Maccas as Broadbeach.

Complaints about parking at Metricon are rubbish.

I spent longer leaving the ground waiting for a bus and getting out of the car park than I did driving back to Toowoomba

Have never had this issue.
I went to the Gold Coast v Essendon game this year and there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that the lack of car parking and transport is a major factor in why sport doesn't survive in QLD.

Not only is there no parking, the drop off and pickup for those that don’t catch a bus is ridiculously on the other side of a double highway.

Plus if you do catch a bus then it’s simply madness after the game lining up then cramming in like sardines. Most of the locals catch a train or bus to nerang station then get an overcrowded shuttle from there.

I did read in the local paper that the state government had recognised how ordinary the setup was and had committed to building a car park before the commonwealth games.

I agree with all of this. I’m a Brisbanite and it frustrates the ■■■■ out of me. I love it when I go to Melbourne because it’s so easy to go to games however you want to get there.

The Gabba sucks too.
Suncorp stadium is very good now, but obviously you can’t play Aussie rules there.

The other thing to bear in mind for the round 1 game is that it will probably be much closer to a sellout. Round 21 just gone it was barely half full, so for anyone who didn’t like it then, you’ll hate getting in and out in March

Yep and the Gold Coast doesn’t really interest me so will just base myself in Brissie and drive to the game.

Driving to the game is a bad idea. Virtually no parking. If you’re driving, park at Nerang train station and either get a shuttle bus from there or walk. But make sure you get there well before the game so you get a park

Cheers for that, haven't been to Metricon since the Bears days, thought they may have improved the infrastructure by now. Is driving the best from Brissie or a train/bus?

Train is probably better.

Direct Boot?

Thanks for the inspiration Ace. We just booked flights ourselves. $325 return from Hobart on Jetstar.

Hobart?

Yep. Moved a few months back

There's some properties around the ground that do shonky parking. Otherwise drive to the shopping mall at Broadbeach, take the free bus to the ground then after the game eat at Maccas as Broadbeach.

Complaints about parking at Metricon are rubbish.

I spent longer leaving the ground waiting for a bus and getting out of the car park than I did driving back to Toowoomba

Driving to the game is a bad idea. Virtually no parking. If you’re driving, park at Nerang train station and either get a shuttle bus from there or walk. But make sure you get there well before the game so you get a park

Cheers for that, haven't been to Metricon since the Bears days, thought they may have improved the infrastructure by now. Is driving the best from Brissie or a train/bus?

Don’t think I can take going back to that pissant country town.