Gold Coast away first round 2016

If you are just going to go to the footy you would be better off getting the train from Brisbane airport than renting a car IMHO.

l have to wonder how much of the fixture comes down to the ‘requests’ each club makes. That alone would make for a few hundred variables and tricks to work out each season.

Just booked flights, was half price to fly to Brisbane instead and rent a car.

Coolangatta is one of the shittest airports.

Yep and the Gold Coast doesn’t really interest me so will just base myself in Brissie and drive to the game.
Was only $330 return from Adelaide with Tiger

Thanks for the inspiration Ace. We just booked flights ourselves. $325 return from Hobart on Jetstar.

Excellent! I didn't get to the GC game this year, thankfully, so will be aiming to drive the 2.5 hours to get to this one. Rd 1 win coming up.

Rd 1 is a ■■■■■■ time to be playing in Qld. Really enjoy a trip up there in the midst of a Southern Winter, not during their ■■■■■■ heat & humidity festival.

Yeah, but from a players fitness and conditioning perspective, wouldn’t it better to be coming up to Qld earlier in the year as they have just come from pre-season and NAB Cup/Challenge/Clash/Competition (or whatever it is called this year). Having been training in the Vic summer heat they would be more conditioned to it. Yes, the humidity is a factor, but then it always is. Later in the year going from chilly Vic to warmer Qld, with humidity, would take a higher toll on fitness I would think.

Having played footy around Aus and overseas, in many varied conditions, I would go with playing in heat and humidity any day, over playing in the cold. But that could just be because my knees and ankles are old and warm up quicker that way. As a young fella I can remember playing in fog so thick you couldn’t see the other goal posts and sliding on snow in the goal square for fun, instead of watching the footy. It turned out ok though as the opposition player marking me was doing the same thing and the ball bounced/slid through. The cold didn’t matter so much when you are a little tacker.

Yep and the Gold Coast doesn’t really interest me so will just base myself in Brissie and drive to the game.

Driving to the game is a bad idea. Virtually no parking. If you’re driving, park at Nerang train station and either get a shuttle bus from there or walk. But make sure you get there well before the game so you get a park

Will be an anticlimax

Wooooo! I get to go to the first game!

Gee that rd 1 draw looks like an absolute snooze

I know each club puts in a draw "wishlist" which the league tries to accommodate. But do they also submit a "couldn't give a toss" list as well? And Essendon doesn't place any stock in a round 1 home game.

I know its far from a massive issue, but after a long off season, it would be nice to be able to see the boys live in round 1 - especially with a new coach!

I think the lack of Rnd 1 home game openers is possibly due to our other huge “marquee” games during the year. They reserve that excitement factor at the start of the season for other clubs to get some sun.

Excellent! I didn't get to the GC game this year, thankfully, so will be aiming to drive the 2.5 hours to get to this one. Rd 1 win coming up.

Rd 1 is a ■■■■■■ time to be playing in Qld. Really enjoy a trip up there in the midst of a Southern Winter, not during their ■■■■■■ heat & humidity festival.

I know each club puts in a draw “wishlist” which the league tries to accommodate. But do they also submit a “couldn’t give a toss” list as well? And Essendon doesn’t place any stock in a round 1 home game.

I know its far from a massive issue, but after a long off season, it would be nice to be able to see the boys live in round 1 - especially with a new coach!

Lower ladder position in 2015 = easier draw 2016. Embrace it.

Excellent! I didn’t get to the GC game this year, thankfully, so will be aiming to drive the 2.5 hours to get to this one. Rd 1 win coming up.

Boring start to the season again.

We’ll win. Mark that down.

I don’t mind getting an interstate trip out of the way when the boys are still fresh. If we win then it is a bonus and sets the season up, if it is a loss then it doesn’t get a lot of press because it isn’t a marquee game… so win.

As opposed to the Rich v Carl BS where the loser of that game gets heaped on by the media for the next 7 days like their crappy club matters.

I’m quite ok with flying under the radar and racking up 3-4 wins before anyone notices.

I think it is 4.40 game.

Direct Boot?

Yep