Golf and related musings

End of the 3rd round at the players.

Kaymer and speith are Joints leaders at 12 under.

Aussie John Senden is 3rd at 9 under with another Aussie Matt jones 5th at 8 under. Both have already won in the US this year. Hopefully the 2 leaders come back to the field.

The battle for number one is interesting with Adam now tied for 28th at 3 under only 2 shots of the 16th he needs to possibly go number one.

A couple of his rivals for top ranking are all at 5 under. They need varying results from 5th or better to take top.

An Aussie winner and Scott taking the top ranking would be very nice :slight_smile:

Pressure has got to Scott. 3 over after 12 and back to Even. Is now 58th.

Finished 38th. Scoring isn’t impossible either as a few have been shooting 65s and 66s.

None of the top 5 took their opportunity to claim the no. 1. Kaymer is coasting to victory now.

Personally prefer to see broomstick wielders sweeping out the change rooms rather than donning the number one crown. I know some of you won’t like this comment but frankly it’s not a golf stroke if you anchor the putter. Officials are scared of the manufacturers.

Spieth makes a bogey to end a run of 73 holes without a bogey.

Ban the broomstick but not the fatso grips!

Did anyone see Geoff Ogilvy getting slammed in the US? Apparently he cracked it because he had to do an interview with a local radio station, like the interview was beneath him. All this after he tied the course record for the back nine shooting 6 under coming in. I always had the impression he was laid back and an easy going Aussie. Maybe not.

Adam Scott what a legend! Just won his first tournament as world number one after being four over after nine holes on Thursday and then only just making the cut.

Spieth ended up winning with 5 under

Day faded with a final round 4 over to end up even par and in a tie for 9th.

Scott stormed home with a 6 under for the round to end up tied for 4th alongside 21 yo Cameron Smith who played the final round 2 under (awesome effort for such a young guy)

Anyone see Jason days efforts this morning. Amazing! Vertigo is an absolute shocker- how he is on the lead is really unbelievable. Hope he is healthy enough to be there on the back nine- he deserves it!

Agree. I suffer from this (please make it stop dear God). How anyone could play golf with it has me beat. Fantastic effort.

Anyone see Jason days efforts this morning. Amazing! Vertigo is an absolute shocker- how he is on the lead is really unbelievable. Hope he is healthy enough to be there on the back nine- he deserves it!

Anybody else bet on golf? I bet on it all the time. Have had some good wins over the years. Got a multi up last week which I put on for Scott to win at 7 bucks into some EPL and NBA. I put the bet on after the 2nd round. Thought Scott was in a good place to strike. Have backed Bubba this week in a multi to finish top 5 at The Blue Monster. After the 1st round he is tied 8th. I reckon he can strike.
He wasn't far off!

Scott takes it again and a great final round! He is running hot now and looking really good for the Masters.

Phil Mickelson named in insider trading probe

PHIL Mickelson is in the water, and it’s hot.

The five-time major-champion golfer was named in a federal insider-trading lawsuit overnight, claiming that he made nearly $US1 million ($1.4 million) from non-public information in the trading of Dean Foods stock, The New York Post reports.

The complaint was filed by the Securities and Exchange Commission in the US District Court for the Southern District of New York. Because the case is in civil court, the SEC is seeking “all ill-gotten gains in the form of illicit trading profits.”

Also named in the suit is Billy Walters, who is a well-known sports gambler and allegedly passed on the information to Mickelson in July of 2012.

Mickelson allegedly made almost $US1 million after getting the insider trading tip from Walters and then used some of the money to pay back Walters, to whom he allegedly owed money.

Why am I not surprised… Phil Mickleson is an acquired taste… one I’ve never acquired.

Jack Nicklaus - seriously, what a legend shooting his first hole-in-one at Augusta today at 75 years of age.

Jack Nicklaus >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tiger Woods.

Will anyone watch the Masters this weekend?

I’ll tune in, hopefully an Aussie can contend on the last day which always makes it more exciting.

Who’s your tip???

I think Jordan Spieth from Bubba Watson and Adam Scott who’s picked up his special putter for the weekend.

I’ll watch some of it.
Looking forward to it.
I fully expect all of the golfers I like to blitz on the first two days then fall in a massive heap.

Day paying $2.25 to finish top 10. Get on it.

Jordan Speith off to the flyer this morning at 8 under, now 3 ahead.

Jason Day right in the mix at 5 under also… John Senden 1 under and Adam Scott even.

Tiger shot 1 over but received plenty of coverage as usual…Rory is 1 under. Nice to see Ernie Els shooting a nice score… I’ve always like him.

British open on now and the Aussies are fairing pretty well with round 2 still going after being suspended late in the day.

Dustin Johnson leading and in great form at 10 under after 13, with Jason Day at 8 under after 11, Adam Scott at 7 under and in the clubhouse, and Geoff Ogilvy (who was 6 under at one stage in round 1 and gave it all back) and Steve Bowditch in the clubhouse at 5 under.

St Andrews really is an amazing course so worth watching for sure.

A number of Aussies in contention - worth a watch later tonight with Scott, Leishman both 3 shots off the Jason Day who’s in a tie for the lead… Even Bowditch can still pull off a blinder and maybe contend. Spieth and Day going head to head will be the highlight.