Golf and related musings

While all good, sensible advice, I hate it entirely. Get a giant driver and smash it :slight_smile: and then get a set of classic blades and enjoy the feel as you nail it in the guts. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: [NOT SERIOUS!]

Seriously, I wouldn’t even worry about what clubs at the start. You could pick something up cheap, or borrow some, or you could even just sit down with a pro that you’re thinking of having lessons with and have a conversation and talk through your long term goals and work it out. You might even get a discount if you sign up for a bunch of lessons.

On a personal note I’d go a big driver at about 12 degrees, then a hybrid at about 23 degrees then a 5-7-9 -S-Putter if going a partial set. Should be able to get that for $100 if going second hand or trawling for bargains.

Hybrids are super easy to hit, but sometimes you just want to have a lash at it. My own set is all over the place, but works for me - D (9 degrees), 3W (14deg), 1 iron (one of those hollow ones), 4Hybrid, 4-P, S (54), L (60), Putter. The 2 clubs I get by far the most enjoyment out of are the D and the 1 iron.)

A 1 iron? Don’t see many of them around.

1 Like

It’s a hollow thing that is almost as forgiving as a hybrid, but from the outside it looks like an overgrown blade 1 iron.

We should have a Blitz golf day when things reopen.

3 Likes

For sure.

Might be a bit far for some, but I can get a few groups on at Rosebud.

1 Like

Where are you located?

I’ll drive for a good course.

It’s a really good track now.

Good advice from a lot of others so far. I’m not going to be able to help many blitzers face to face as I’m on the Gold Coast.

Always has been I reckon.

2 years ago it was just average.

New greenskeeper had really improved it over the last few months and it should keep getting better and better.

I played in the 1994 Victorian PGA Trainee Championships down there and the course was great back then.

1 Like

Colac is a bit of a surprise as is Ballarat

Isn’t it Ballaarat? Or Baallarat? Or Ballaraat?

(I may have been drunk last time I was there)

If you’re good around water hazards, Port Fairy links are good at the moment.

1 Like

Coral Cove and Margaret River are nice.
But Natimuk is and always will be my favourite.

1 Like

Port Fairy is always good…

Isn’t Port Fairy the one that has a road something like 30 metres above a green?
I might be confusing it with another one.
Wasn’t me, it was my uncle, but i still thought it was hilarious.
Blasted his horn and the guy shook his fist at us after looking up from his missed putt.

1 Like

No. Not even close to being possible on this course. The dunes are quite a bit above the road, but not the other way round.

1 Like

That’s going to bother me now…