Golf and related musings

Been watching the Shell golf series lately and was fascinated by this pairing of the legends, Hogan and Sneed. Yearned to see Hogan, allegedly the straightest of them all, up close for ages and it’s instructive to see how good he was, sans modern equipment. Of course, he doesn’t hit it as far as the moderns but I think he hit every fairway and green in this match, just incredible. Remember he is in his latter competitive years as evidenced by his consistent limp. Love the jabbing, crouching putting styles, and they drop their share, maybe not as many as Nicklaus, who still possesses the ugliest and most effective putting stroke of all time.

2 Likes

And the PGA tour resumes this week in America.

Major time and the cream is rising. Dustin Johnson leading and several nipping at his heels, including our Jason Day at three back who just needs to get the flat stick working. Love Morikawa’s swing and he’s in form and only 2 back and Koepka and DeChambeau are looming, hope they are paired considering the former’s criticisms of the latter’s slow play in the past. Mind you if I’m looking for a decent long range bet, and I’m not, Jon Rahm at six back represents good value. I’d want a saver on Finau, who’s abbreviated back swing is just money, and Fleetwood too at 3 back.
Shame Li blew up in the third round, incredible talent but 4 back now.
If I had to pick one…it’s Morikawa, absolute gun with the mid irons.

3 Likes

With a winner’s temperament, fearless putting stroke and a swing to die for, it’s hard to imagine Morikawa won’t dominate over the next few years. Only injuries or the dreaded yips will stop him. Watched a youtube vid of his iron play a few months back and it’s worth trying to find because he figuratively made the ball talk.

1 Like

Super win by him today

Yep, Morikawa looks like the real deal.

Turned out the chip in and the driver sealed the win.

If anyone needs a hand with their game let me know. I’m a PGA professional. Cheers

3 Likes

I probably will. I’m 45 and going for my first lesson next week.

3 Likes

I just wish I could start playing again.

Not gonna go Sam Newman about it, though.

3 Likes

Are you coming from years of “self taught, tips from mates and what I’ve read in golf magazines”, or from a clean slate, never have picked up a club in your life?

Where are you off to?

I wish I could lament not having time to play again. I even looked at my handicap history a couple of weeks ago. I had a “counting” round from about 2012!

Tough for Victorians ATM. I’m on the gold for coast.

Yeah, I’m 37 and wanting to take the game up for the first time, one we are out of lockdown. Looking for a sport to take up my interests once I finish up with cricket, which will happen soon enough…

I’m coming from self taught with no book or YouTube tutorials. I swing like a 70yo just to make sure I hit it straight. And it doesn’t usually go straight.

My local club is Queens Park in Geelong.

1 Like

:slight_smile:

Getting a good teacher will make the world of difference. It is really a good investment. Find someone who you can communicate with and who you can trust and stick with it and yourbgame will be completely different.

(Says me who has never stuck with it for as long as I should have. Last time was about 2013, and the coach was phenomenal. The ability to identify the most minute changes in setup to get me hitting the ball 10/10 always stuns me. And as always life takes over and the best intentions go out the window after a couple of months and all of a sudden it’s 2 years later, and I’ve barely played and I’m reverting to old habits)

1 Like

If you want to enjoy golf when you play, then getting a few lessons will be the best money you’ve ever spent.

No amount of expensive clubs will help you more than a few lessons.

My dad took me for lessons every week for a year when I started playing at 15. 12 months later I was breaking 100 and 12 months after that I had a handicap of 10. All whilst playing with a cheap set of clubs.

After just a few lessons you’ll get a better understanding of what you should be doing. Then if you feel like you want some new clubs, get a club fitting from you coach or any PGA Professional. A proper club fit also makes a big difference compared to getting club fit at Drummonds or House of Golf.

3 Likes

Nice! In terms of getting clubs for someone just starting out, where should I go? And what would I need just to be able to get around a course?

1 Like

Just look for second hand clubs. Look for more oversized irons that offer more forgiveness.

If you’ve just started playing and want to improve, I wouldn’t even get a driver or 3 wood to start off. Grabbing a hybrid would be a good club to build confidence moving into the longer clubs.

I’d suggest just using from 5 iron down till your swing starts improving.

It doesn’t matter if you hit 300 meters and hit it sideways, you can score just as well hitting it 200 and straight.

Drivers and 3 woods etc are the least forgiving clubs to hit. There’s every chance you get so frustrated that you can’t hit them that you’ll want to give up.

Keeping the ball on the short stuff is a lot more fun than chipping sideways.

3 Likes