Golf and related musings

3 ft putt that doesn’t touch the hole, and goes 6 ft past would be mine…

4 Likes

Cape Wickham is number 2 in Australia. It’s like a siren; beautiful, enticing, but lures you onto the rocks to pain and misery.

And takes your balls.

5 Likes

Hamilton island is a similarly beautiful course. Yet the rough there is virtually unplayable in long long grass with signs littered everywhere warning of coastal taipans. I think I lost about 8 balls that day.

I played up in cairns once.

The guy there told me the locals have right of way.

2 Likes

Isn’t it Copperheads on Cape Wickham?

Between the snakes and the light aircraft flight…

1 Like

Have seen an alligator on a golf course, in Hilton Head, South Carolina.

Also saw a black bear playing in central Michigan. It was near the green on a par-three. My dad and I had both hit the green; he went and retrieved both balls quickly and said “automatic pars”.

3 Likes

Oh I was talking about HI. Very much could be the Copperheads at Wickham. I’ve never been, just seen photos.

1 Like

If you were on the geeen, surely you’d have one putted?

1 Like

Golfing near Victoria Falls around a decade ago.

We didn’t see any lions but heard them roaring in the distance.
PS My Better Half reckoned if more courses were like it she might take up golf.

3 Likes

If there’s a possibility of lions, I have a few mates that would encourage their wives to take up the game.

3 Likes

I played golf at a course near Mumbai many years ago and you could hear the unmistakable growls of Tigers in the forest nearby. The Indian guy I was playing with remarked that the Tigers were usually only active on Wednesday as it was Ladies Day.

I am a very poor golfer, but none of my shots strayed anywhere near the rough that day.

2 Likes

Any of these worth playing? Turns out they’re reciprocal clubs with my home club.

Yes. :slight_smile:

Probably all of them depending on what you’re looking for. Klawdy was talking up the Anglesea experience about 15 posts ago, and there’s a bunch of enjoyable tracks amongst the rest.

2 Likes

Where are people members? My home course is Warragul CC. 50% fees for those living 50km away… luckily for me I’m 50.2 according to google maps but the 35min drive each way is a bit of a pain.

I’m not attached to any club. I suppose I should be, but I don’t live that close to many, and I don’t play as much as I’d like. My wife and kids don’t play golf at all, so there’s no family incentive, and I’m also a bit broke from a new house build. Maybe in a year or two.

I’m an XGolf member. (Indoor simulator). I can play 36 holes in 1.5hrs. I struggle to get 4 hrs free for 18 holes outdoors.

1 Like

How does putting work on those things? Or doesn’t it exist? Excuse my ignorance.

Putting is interesting at first. You still hit it towards the screen. If you just tap the screen it’s roughly the equivalent of a 5m putt. Beyond that is a bit of a raffle but you get a feel for it after a while. But trying to putt outside after playing inside is a whole different story.

Same with bunkers.

1 Like

Hey lads,

What apps does everyone use? I use Hole19 and have recently downloaded golf fix to analyse the swing.