Woosha – final moments or finals moment?

I am not a smart man

1 Like

Title fixed.

13 Likes

Even better

LOL Sorry … yes of course Blake.

Was thinking of Scotty Burns.

1 Like

It’s a Northerly today, getting to 25km/h at Tullamarine.

7 Likes

I have no idea where this comes from…his efficiency this year is 70%…sure he’s not the best kick in the team…but neither are 16 other guys.

Like these 16 other guys he has some lovely kicks, some average kicks and some decent kicks under pressure and the odd poor kick.

The Blitz thing about Heppell’s kicking is the sheepiest thing thats ever sheeped.

2 Likes

So you’re saying it’s just a yarn.

Anyway, @CharlieDons needs to put together a Heppell kicking compilation to put this to the test.

2 Likes

I think because miskicks generally hurt us and he can miss the target by an absolute mile at times.
His shot at goal just before half time was an absolute disgrace and then shortly after was the putrid kick into the middle of the ground that was turned over and cost us a goal after the siren

2 Likes

Yep…two ordinary mistakes…no worse than others made in the team every week…Jake Stringer gave away two goals early and is kicking at 59% for the year…yet according to all and sundry he’s among our best for the year.

I swear people don’t actually watch the footy sometimes.

5 Likes

ha. solid thread title change.

5 Likes

Been happier with the coaching over the last few weeks. Our game style is slowly looking less one dimensional.

I know hawks and Carlton are not world beaters, but they play styles of footy we usually struggle against. I felt we adapted our style in both games to come away with a couple of easy wins.

Our backline is looking rock solid, up there with the best in the comp. Not only from a defensive point of view but also attack. Our fwd line is improving, mainly thanks to lowering our eyes going fwd rather then long bombs.

I’d still like to see our fwds stay a little closer to home though. We are often still left with no one to kick to, when we move the ball quickly.

Im still bemused by comments from coaches that we tried to move the ball to quick. So the fwds didn’t have time to be set.

Where as it should be its great we moved the ball quickly, but our fwds should have been quicker to setup.

1 Like

Still middle of the road in this area. Has the parts, doesn’t execute often enough. We’re ~5th overall for points against but 10th for points conceded from turnover. ie: we still cough up the footy in shot spots coming out of our back half (defenders and mids turning the ball over) and get scored against too easily at the moment.

But it’s improving. We cut that area further and it then becomes a point swing with us not getting scored against and setting up scoring opportunities for ourselves at the other end.

People do watch the games. The issue with Hep is that he seems to almost be the one who kicks it into the middle to split the ground open, so when it doesn’t come off, we are screwed and it looks bad.
Also, don’t be fooled by the effective %. A kick to a 3 on 1 is still considered an effective kick, so is a kick that reaches the player on the bounce.

1 Like

It’s because the best sides in the comp (most of them at least) are actually playing slower more conservatively to minimise the chances of getting scored against on turnover. We’re one the fastest sides in the comp for playing on from a mark, Geelong (and every other side in the top 6) are the slowest, with the one exception being GWS. The ability to score quickly from the back half could be a valuable point of difference if we do it well, but to date we’re costing ourselves too many points on turnover trying to do it.

1 Like

How is that stat compared to our scoring the other way though? We play a riskier style of game than most which will always result in more turnovers.

Meaning playing safer may improve that number but we may be taking to much away from our attack. I have no idea of the numbers, but it’s a balancing act.

Have never said Stringer is a great kick.
Half the problem is we have too many average kicks. As I’ve always maintained Heppell’s kicking is almost perfect if he only has to hit a target 20-30m away. When he struggles is when he tries for outside that range and it has to be due to injury as he had a very good leg coming through the system.
Much like Tom Mitchell has changed his game I think Dyson also has to and hit up more shorter passes

4 Likes

Stay of execution?

Stringer is a beautiful field kick.

2 Likes