Good Friday Footy

Good Friday will only work as a marquee game if they don't also play on the Thursday night. If they do, the game on the Friday will feel like just another game.

I think they should dump the Thursday, keep the Monday (Hawks/Cats).

I have a different idea for the Good Friday game. I think we need a marquee game that people would tune in to watch, and that precludes two lowly clubs from playing. I also don't think Ess/Coll (ANZAC), Carl/Rich (season opener) or Geel/Haw (Easter Monday) need another marquee game.

Call me crazy, but a marquee game I'd be very happy to sit and watch would be Adelaide and Port. I think its a great rivalry, and yet the game is always shunted to a Saturday twilight or a Sunday etc. I think it should get the exposure in prime time and I believe that football fans across the country appreciate the rivalry and would sit down to watch.

If North and the Dogs want a game then give them a twilight game on the same day and have the Showdown as the main event at 7:40.

I hope we don't get Good Friday, I want us to keep ANZAC day and that's it.

Dreamtime is different. It was the brainchild of Sheeds as a way of expressing awareness and thankfulness among other things to the aboriginal community, it is almost as a sign of respect to Sheedy who really did a massive amount of work to recruit indigenous footballers. He coached us and played for those ■■■■■■.

Dreamtime was born not on the back of huge crowds. ANZAC day drew 95k in its first game. AFL saw it as a massive money maker and then put us and the pies always on that day. Sheeds and Greg Swann then said we should use it as a day to recognise all war veterans. Think it was around 98/99 when they first started doing the lap of honour for the war vets?

I thought it was Sheeds and Allan McAllister who took it to the AFL.
I don't remember exactly now, but think Kevin came up with the idea while he was doing some gardening (think he said at the time), then approached Collingwood and they put it to the AFL.

Don't want the Good Friday game, and from reading the article, it appears that AFL want Essendon, it does not even mention what Essendon think or want.

Would like North and Bulldogs to get it, it may stop them whining for awhile.

Kevin approached Collingwood then they both went to the RSL. The AFL were "asked" when it was a done deal and the package was complete.

My view of the current Blockbuster Games

1/ Anzac Day  stand out best regular game of footy to go to

2/ Easter Monday Hawks v Cats - two great in form teams with history. Wouldn't work as well with the minnows.

3/Richmond carlton round 1 this was an ok game to open the season. big crowd,

4/ Dreamtime game, good effort by sheeds to make this out of nothing.

5/ Queens Birthday - no on really cares except Melbourne fans

6/ Saints NZ Anzac day game

Then you have the local derbies....I would not care if these teams decided to play derbies Anzac day.

- Eagles Freo

- Port v Adelaide

- Lions GCS

- Swans GWS

But the following rivalries would bring a better stand alone game for good Friday

Carlton Collingwood

Richmond Collingwood

Hawthorn Essendon

Essendon Carlton

Then you have the rest of the Melbourne teams

- Saints, Dogs, North, etc

I'd watch a Showdown or Derby, reckon it would be a great idea.

What a disaster it would be if they went Dogs v North.  No one cares about those two pissant clubs, I'd rather watch the actual telethon, and I currently prefer to watch a blank TV over the telethon! 

For me though I think a rematch of the Grand Final would be awesome.  Big game between two good teams.

Dreamtime is different. It was the brainchild of Sheeds as a way of expressing awareness and thankfulness among other things to the aboriginal community, it is almost as a sign of respect to Sheedy who really did a massive amount of work to recruit indigenous footballers. He coached us and played for those ■■■■■■.

Dreamtime was born not on the back of huge crowds. ANZAC day drew 95k in its first game. AFL saw it as a massive money maker and then put us and the pies always on that day. Sheeds and Greg Swann then said we should use it as a day to recognise all war veterans. Think it was around 98/99 when they first started doing the lap of honour for the war vets?

I don't remember exactly now, but think Kevin came up with the idea while he was doing some gardening (think he said at the time), then approached Collingwood and they put it to the AFL.

Don't want the Good Friday game, and from reading the article, it appears that AFL want Essendon, it does not even mention what Essendon think or want.

Kevin approached Collingwood then they both went to the RSL. The AFL were "asked" when it was a done deal and the package was complete.

When was that? Was that after the 1995 game?

My view of the current Blockbuster Games

1/ Anzac Day  stand out best regular game of footy to go to

2/ Easter Monday Hawks v Cats - two great in form teams with history. Wouldn't work as well with the minnows.

3/Richmond carlton round 1 this was an ok game to open the season. big crowd,

4/ Dreamtime game, good effort by sheeds to make this out of nothing.

5/ Queens Birthday - no on really cares except Melbourne fans

6/ Saints NZ Anzac day game

Then you have the local derbies....I would not care if these teams decided to play derbies Anzac day.

- Eagles Freo

- Port v Adelaide

- Lions GCS

- Swans GWS

But the following rivalries would bring a better stand alone game for good Friday

Carlton Collingwood

Richmond Collingwood

Hawthorn Essendon

Essendon Carlton

Then you have the rest of the Melbourne teams

- Saints, Dogs, North, etc

Apparently Essendon vs North is a rivalry.

I'm not sure a Good Friday game will end up being a big a deal as what everybody is suggesting.

I think people have gotten a bit over excited because having a game that day has been talked about for so long. Remember the debate about a game on Good Friday really has just been about everybody missing footy not being on the telly on a Friday night - not it being a blockbuster.

Also ANZAC day is a one day event. Easter is different as we already have games on Easter Saturday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. It will just be another game over a long weekend.

As others have mentioned, this is just John Ralph adding some more mayo - it's the annual take ANZAC Day off Essendon article in disguise.

Screw Peter Gordon.

I'm not sure a Good Friday game will end up being a big a deal as what everybody is suggesting.

I think people have gotten a bit over excited because having a game that day has been talked about for so long. Remember the debate about a game on Good Friday really has just been about everybody missing footy not being on the telly on a Friday night - not it being a blockbuster.

Also ANZAC day is a one day event. Easter is different as we already have games on Easter Saturday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. It will just be another game over a long weekend.

As others have mentioned, this is just John Ralph adding some more mayo - it's the annual take ANZAC Day off Essendon article in disguise.

Difference of course being that on Good Friday NOTHING is open and there is fk all else to do. 

Play a VFL game at windy hill against Richmond or somebody and we would get a bigger crowd than the roos and dogs at etihad

Difference of course being that on Good Friday NOTHING is open and there is fk all else to do. 

I thought the cinemas was open.

Screw Peter Gordon.

what did he say?

Screw Peter Gordon.

what did he say?

Shannon Noll

I'd be happy going to a game on Good Friday. There isn't much else do to apart from getting drunk. 

Screw Peter Gordon.

Surely no one would be that desperate!

Of course we want Essendon involved in Good Friday football. Imagine the classy Hird/crucifixion promo Channel 7 will run.

I want us to get Good Friday just to stick it in Peter Gordon's craw.

Intra club practice match at the G, halfway between round 4 & 5.

Saints Demons would have a certain je nais sais quoi*

* I have no idea what this actually means

When was that? Was that after the 1995 game?

Before. It was never going to happen without the RSL.  As far as I know Kevin had the idea went to Collingwood and they both went to the RSL. Or he might have gone to the RSL and they both went to Collingwood. The AFL was last in the chain (where they should be for everything IMHO) Once the AFL realised it could be done with the RSL on side, it was a no brainer. Kevin did all the hard yards which is why we DESERVE the game.

Good Friday? We don’t need it, let others have it.