Good Friday Footy

She's a witch!

Would probably be a bit rich to have Easter Friday and Anzac day, but whatever. I'd just like to have a game on Easter Friday, whoever is playing. 

I hope we don't get Good Friday, I want us to keep ANZAC day and that's it.

Dreamtime is different. It was the brainchild of Sheeds as a way of expressing awareness and thankfulness among other things to the aboriginal community, it is almost as a sign of respect to Sheedy who really did a massive amount of work to recruit indigenous footballers. He coached us and played for those ■■■■■■.

Dreamtime was born not on the back of huge crowds. ANZAC day drew 95k in its first game. AFL saw it as a massive money maker and then put us and the pies always on that day. Sheeds and Greg Swann then said we should use it as a day to recognise all war veterans. Think it was around 98/99 when they first started doing the lap of honour for the war vets?

I thought it was Sheeds and Allan McAllister who took it to the AFL.

I don't remember exactly now, but think Kevin came up with the idea while he was doing some gardening (think he said at the time), then approached Collingwood and they put it to the AFL.

Don't want the Good Friday game, and from reading the article, it appears that AFL want Essendon, it does not even mention what Essendon think or want.

Would like North and Bulldogs to get it, it may stop them whining for awhile.

Of course the AFL want Essendon  - The return of James Hird , One of the better if not best drawing at crowds to etihad, AFl might be thinking about the bottom line $$$ from tv and attendence, I would rather they think about making a new blockbuster with 2 different teams - Norf , Dogs, Saints etc.

Dreamtime is different. It was the brainchild of Sheeds as a way of expressing awareness and thankfulness among other things to the aboriginal community, it is almost as a sign of respect to Sheedy who really did a massive amount of work to recruit indigenous footballers. He coached us and played for those ■■■■■■.

Dreamtime was born not on the back of huge crowds. ANZAC day drew 95k in its first game. AFL saw it as a massive money maker and then put us and the pies always on that day. Sheeds and Greg Swann then said we should use it as a day to recognise all war veterans. Think it was around 98/99 when they first started doing the lap of honour for the war vets?

I don't remember exactly now, but think Kevin came up with the idea while he was doing some gardening (think he said at the time), then approached Collingwood and they put it to the AFL.

Don't want the Good Friday game, and from reading the article, it appears that AFL want Essendon, it does not even mention what Essendon think or want.

No. Fark those basket case clubs. If they are going to turn a Good Friday game into a Anzac Day game type tradition the teams need to be even slightly relivant.

Give the game to a couple of also ran clubs and then tell them no more free money from Ess, Coll etc - you now have the major game/opportunity you have bitched about for years - sink or swim

Of course the AFL want Essendon  - The return of James Hird , One of the better if not best drawing at crowds to etihad, AFl might be thinking about the bottom line $$$ from tv and attendence, I would rather they think about making a new blockbuster with 2 different teams - Norf , Dogs, Saints etc.

Yep, would rather they think about making a new blockbuster, but we know they ONLY see $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

No. Fark those basket case clubs. If they are going to turn a Good Friday game into a Anzac Day game type tradition the teams need to be even slightly relivant.

My response was going to be something similar to Reboots, he got in before me, and I agree with him.

My response was going to be something similar to Reboots, he got in before me, and I agree with him.

Ok lets give it to them.

But as boot has not said. No more Anzac day compo and if they fail they are NEVER to ***** about "blockbusters" again. The word blockbuster should never be associated with clubs like North.

Eddie said it a while ago, we play ANZAC day because we get the crowd and the AFL share the funds around.

If Essendon vs Collingwood were to no longer play ANZAC day, we would still get 85,000+ and then there will be no money to share around as it is not the ANZAC day match. Hell, we would get 75,000 on a Tuesday morning.

Notice alot of the crying the last 2 years have been from supporters and not from presidents/CEOs etc. They know that unless their team is in form they will never get 90k+

If both teams win this week they are 3-2. Last year we got 93k at our home game, this year it is Collingwoods and there will be 93k there as well.

Sure North and the Bulldogs would be glad to donate all gate receipts to the Good Friday appeal, just to demonstrate that their desire for this blockbuster fixture is actually to grow their brand, increase their supporter/membership base and ain't just about cold hard cash!!

The Good Friday Game has the potential to be a marquee game for the AFL. How will this "marquee game" look when its North Melbourne vs Footscray played infront of 6 Men and a couple of head of livestock at Etihad.

How will they do it at Docklands though? That's where channel 7 run their good friday appeal from.

The Good Friday Game has the potential to be a marquee game for the AFL. How will this "marquee game" look when its North Melbourne vs Footscray played infront of 6 Men and a couple of head of livestock at Etihad.

6 is a bit extreme come on.

Hell, we would get 75,000 on a Tuesday morning.

[unemployment joke]

Sure North and the Bulldogs would be glad to donate all gate receipts to the Good Friday appeal, just to demonstrate that their desire for this blockbuster fixture is actually to grow their brand, increase their supporter/membership base and ain't just about cold hard cash!!

I don't think either club would deny it's about revenue.

hmmmmmmm.............it seems

Hell, we would get 75,000 on a Tuesday morning.

[unemployment joke]

For the pies. We at Essendon are very successful businessmen and as such we choose what days we take off.

How will they do it at Docklands though? That's where channel 7 run their good friday appeal from.

I believe they are doing the Good Friday appeal from Jeff's Shed this year.

Problem solved 12 months in advance.

moved to MCEC this year

Kudos to the caller on SEN who rang KB and that other turd nugget to say that we should merge norf and footscray so they can play essendon on good friday. Hahaha.

oh oops, cheers guys. Ok, that is one issue solved.

Maybe they should play dogs and roos in ballarat, then the stadium may reach capacity.