Goodbye Holden

Goodbye from making cars here at least. You should be proud of your achievements. Except for the Camira. For f*ck’s sake, mate!

1 Like

It stopped being Holden a long time ago imo.

2 Likes

My first car was a Gemini. Indestructible little tank of a thing.

1 Like

Sad sad day.

I threw sand at a teacher’s gemini once, from inside the school yard. Don’t ask why because I can’t remember.

2 Likes

because its a gemini?

Meh.

Will make a good business case on how to take an iconic brand and run it into the ground.

5 Likes

Imagine if auto manufacturing was subsidised like the coal industry was?

5 Likes

Or like they do in Germany !!

3 Likes

I saw what looked like a TD model wagon not too long ago. Brown, of course. Seemed to be in pretty good nick…

1 Like

I live in the North of Adelaide and as sad as it is there was no other option. The state government couldn’t prop them up forever and GMH couldn’t continue to afford to pay the stupid wages for unskilled workers. Blame the unions

3 Likes

I wouldn’t blame the unions exclusively. Australians expect a certain standard of living, and rightly so. Taxpayers couldn’t be expected to subsidise the industry for ever either.

3 Likes

Now that they have close, where does the Union propose to send their members for a new job?

2 Likes

I had a V8 Torana when I got my first job after Uni. Yep it was that purple color.

Getting stopped by the Cops every hour was bad enough, but while it was great in a straight line, didn’t like corners that much. Mrs Fox the First soon had me in a white ford cortina.

4 Likes

I’m in no hurry to sell my VE sports wagon. Long live reer wheel drive an V8’s. they will become collectors items soon

1 Like

If only you still had it.

Speaking of Toranas, a mate had an LH SL/R (not the 5000 version) but it may as well have been as his older brother was a engine modifyer who took to it like there were no rules. For those of you who know Perth, that Torana got us from the Karinyup entry on the freeway to the Raffles Hotel before a live version of AC’DC’s Let There Be Rock had finished. Never drove anywhere with him again.

2 Likes

They got to greedy.
Madness that unskilled workers doing a basic job got paid more than qualified mechanics, sparkies and chippies. Their pay grade was far too high for the tasks they were doing

5 Likes

Continued to produce products that consumers didn’t want.

And don’t play the Aussie icon card, owned by GM for most if not all of my lifetime.

Good riddance to a drain on tax dollars (by way of subsidies and handouts)

1 Like

The Hawke/Keating Government recognised this and it contributed to the policy to gradually reduce tariffs in the 1980’s. Unions across the board were pretty irresponsible in those days but they have tempered expectations significantly since then.