Goodbye Holden

So much, this.
Lazy, self-serving and lacking in vision is what brought down Holden, not lower priced competitors. The peak of Holden’s aspirations was trumped-up versions of family saloons. That’s it. Oh…another Commodore, how lovely. Stupid dolts. At least Ford & Toyota gave it a shot. Holden laid down and whimpered away.

Sometimes I cry at night thinking of my old baby blue EH wagon :frowning:

1 Like

Yep.

Mine was Sky blue with white roof.

It took exactly 200 metres driving for me to fall in love with it. Australia’s most popular car ever.

1 Like

Maybe the same colour - though mine was mono colour.
I remember once, My BIL and I went to pick up some logs for the garden. We were coming slowly up to the lights, when he screamed. On the headlining was a massive farking wolf spider - we were both arachnophobes. We literally both bailed there and then - he broke an arm, I did an ankle, the EH hit a pole.

3 Likes

While that does sound like a dangerous situation with serious consequences, I laughed.

IMG_2315

Not mine, but same details.

Sigh.

3 Likes

Except while housing affordability has never been so high, cars have come down in price and they beg you to buy them. I got a new car this week and the lease interest rate is 1% !!!

The first new Commodore I bought was in 1978, red commodore wagon for the Wife and small kids, cost about $36,000 on the road. Same car today, and it is a much better car, is about the same price or cheaper.

No-one could afford a Merc or BMW from my side of the Yarra, but today they are much more affordable.

1982-87

Nothing ever went wrong with it

MIne looked like this:

5 Likes

My first car was a brown and white EH wagon which I drove for years until the rust got too bad. My brother had a hotted up sedan with the rego EH-179 which is the first personalised plate I had ever seen (1974ish). Reckon those plates would be worth a fair quid these days.

2 Likes

I’ve had many cars - too many. My Holdens, in order were:

HT Monaro
EH Wagon
HQ Wagon - orangey/red
HJ Wagon - caramel - lovely car
HX Wagon - dark blue
VH Commodore - baby blue with matching front/rear bumper hahaha
I think that’s it,. though probably forgetting one.

Had a HT wagon I drove from Melbourne to Cape Tribulation and back in 1989-90. Used 1 litre of oil for the whole trip. Plugged a leaking radiator with Barsleak about half way up, never leaked again. Couple of years later it got stolen from Lt Lonsdale St and I got it back unscathed. Then the fkg Woodend cops took it off the road cos the tyres didn’t all match.

2 Likes

How did you negotiate the inevitable questions from your cricket mates? I’m sure they would have pointed out to you that the Camira was marketed as a ladies car.

I owned a ‘3 on the tree’ HQ ute for a while there. Called it ‘Eureka’. Because that’s what I’d say if I completed a journey without having to stop to unjam the gears.

1 Like

Sounds familiar. Had a HD 3 on the tree and it used to jump out of top gear and go into neutral at 100-110km/hr. Had to physically hold the gear shifter to keep it in top gear which as you can imagine got annoying if I drove on longer trips

3 Likes

Didn’t mind tre 3onaTree cars tbh. Got used to them pretty quick.
Trying to remember - was my XA column shift? The VH was, I’m sure. Let me go search…

Yep.

Yeah I loved the old column shift.
Added bonus of a column shift is the bench seat!

3 Likes

…at the drive-ins :slight_smile:

They’re great eh?

1 Like

Lucky barstard, … swells up here too, but I have to work … :disappointed:

1 Like