Greatest Essendon Marks

One of the best I’ve seen live was Mark Johnson in the dying minutes of a crappy game where Richmond was flogging us. A lot of people had left and subsequently missed it. Good reason to stay to the end.

(Edit: it’s 16 minutes into the video)

1 Like

The couple of big grabs by Gumbleton left my regretting what may have been with just a little luck.

I will always remember Ezard over Justin Madden

8 Likes

There’s been loads when you see that vid. Moorcroft’s was sensational. Vanders took plenty too and Geoff Blethyn took some incredible grabs. I remember he’d often lurk in the goal square down the grandstand end not seeming v dangerous. But as the ball came down he’d focus those black coke bottle specs of his, take a few steps and just launch himself skyward hitching a ride on a backman.

And of course we had Coleman way back.

4 Likes

One mark that never was paid was Dale Kickett over Fark Carlton out at Waverley in around late '94. He soared over a big pack but as it happened just seconds before or just on the final siren (I think, memory a bit sketchy) umps couldn’t be bothered paying it. It was an absolute ripper of a grab.

“Most people go to the medical room, [Dean Solomon] goes to the panel beater.”

3 Likes

Some great names but lets not forget to put Michael Symons in the general conversation…sure, if only he could kick straight, but the boy could leap.

4 Likes

That’s what I call a nice way to start the week. In the Vander Haar and Madden days, it felt as though they were each taking a handful of marks like that every game.

They probably weren’t (rose-coloured glasses), but it felt like they were.

When you start your set shot from defensive 50 it’s always gonna be tough.

1 Like

Best high marking players in my time watching in my order: Belthyn (I was very young but have vivid memories, unbelievable vertical leap), Max Crow and Paul Van Der Haar.

Post reported.

Coleman.

It’s a shame that so few people know about EFC history.

The most spectacular part of our game is the speccy.

And it was invented by an Essendon player, way back in the 19th Century, “Commotion” Pearson. Newspapers reported that women fainted seeing him act so dangerously flying for marks.

2 Likes

Do you remember it well, Albert?

4 Likes

Ah yes… Ol’ “panty-dropper” Pearson.

Fun fact:

Those women weren’t fainting. They were actually just slipping over on the vaginal fluids released as flew for those marks.

Fark all Joe Daniher discussion in here.

As it should be…

Didn’t know you were alive then!!

However, we can all enjoy this Coleman tribute: John Coleman Tribute - YouTube

…shifted back for a good reason. 93 and 94 he kicked a few, i suspect he had a number of OOB as well.

Moorcroft had white shorts on, but doggies player should have been blue.

Stewart Lowe

Another SMadden mark that deserves consideration was taken against the Pies out at Waverley in 1981. Essendon had lost 5 or 6 of the opening rounds and Sheedy was threatening to pull the boots back on. The pressure was on all week and Essendon needed to respond, a statement needed to be made. SMadden started at CHF on Picken. Essendon were kicking to the freeway end and Simon got a great ride on Picken to drag in a classic hanger. Not as high as his effort in 1979, but a more important mark, l considered the statement well and truly made by that mark. Essendon romped home and then went on the 15 wins streak.

4 Likes