Greatest Essendon Team of Alll

That’s a D word I am happy to have banned when preceded by a J. But not with a T, D, A or C.

IMHO

Come on, how can you forget about N??

1 Like

Maybe Barry could go to the NM team of the Century?

3 Likes

Ha ! He’s already in it !! On the interchange.

Yes I know. Same as Salmon is in Hawthorn’s.

Some notables:

Our Full back Fred Baring kicked 92 goals! Fair effort! Was he a swing man back in the day!?

How short is the team! Madden of course is the tallest but by modern standards he’s no monster at 198cm. Not many over 190cm.

Injuries of course probably cost Neale Daniher a spot somewhere in the team!? If he plays anywhere near 150-200 games he probably makes it.

2 Likes

I agree. Was destined for greatness. Would’ve captained at least 2 maybe 3 flags.

2 Likes

Is this the Geelong thread?

From what I know we are the fly ups or don’t fears.

See the Bombers fly up, up!
To win the premiership flag,
Our boys who play this grand old game,
Are always striving for glory and fame!
See the bombers fly up, up,
The other teams they don’t fear,
They all try their best,
But they can’t get near,
As the bombers fly up!

You’d drop Bomber way ahead of Barry Davis.

2 Likes

I was looking at the half-back line only.

Norm McDonald, Wally Buttsworth and Hal Lambert.

Perfect half-back line, though most here at BB never saw them play. Our next great half-back line was Davis - Shelton - Epis. Great, but not as good as their predecessors.

Whether Davis should replace Bomber or not is another matter. He made his name as a half-back flanker at Essendon; he didn’t really play midfield until he went to NM (courtesy of Des bloody Tuddenham). He’s in NM’s team of the Century because of that.

Edit…for some stupid reason, it thought I hadn’t already posted.

You could make a case that Coleman was the GOAT easily

1 Like

What always interests me with Coleman is what would’ve happened if he’d played 200-250 games.

Would he have had a Bradman-esque career or taken a dive around 150 games and his career wouldn’t be held in such high esteem.

1 Like

If John Coleman played the number of games like Lockett or Coventry, he would have kicked 1500 goals.

And if he had continued to Coach, would probably outdone Norm Smith.

Many suggest he was the greatest player ever. He died far too young, and only because there was poor medical support in Dromana.

4 Likes

No way would Davis miss this team.
I am a bit surprised by the lack of love for Mark Harvey.

If you extrapolated his know career to 10-15 years then sure. But how many players have a 10 year peak? Dunstall probably the closest (Plugger missed too many games in too many seasons) and even he fluctuated year to year.

No way would Norm or Hal miss this team ! See my further comments in Post #50 above !

Why don’t any of you do some research?

There is no doubt JC was the greatest ever.

We all know he was the coach of the '65 GF winning team. That was only 15 years after his second 100-goal season.

(He was the ONLY player in history to kick 100 goals in his first season. NO-ONE WILL EVER BREAK THAT RECORD Next year, he was the ONLY player in history to kick 100 goals in his second season. And this was when he was still learning his craft. How do you think he would have gone when he was in his prime years, like when all the other famous FF’s in history got to be good?)

But back on topic: 1965. He was out of the game for over a decade. In the week before the GF, Essendon was allowed to train on the MCG. After the training session, some players got to stay around for a kick-to-kick. JC saw them and joined in. Here he was, playing against the #1 ruckman of the year, the best FB of the year and the best player of the final series. Their testimony was that he was outmarking them all - the best players in the game, from the Premiership team, being beaten by a bloke with a dodgy knee who had been out of the game for over 10 years.

So people should fark off with this business of his career would have taken a dive, and fark even more off with replacing him at FF with Lloyd.

11 Likes

Coleman also coached our 1962 flag winning team with my name sake Jack Clarke as captain. Geoff Leek the VC who retired during the GF lived behind our next door neighbour. What a way to go out, retiring with a flag. Clarke also makes my best Essendon team ever.

2 Likes