Hayden Skipworth

I think a lot of clubs dont have the general “defensive, midfield and forward” coaches, more along the lines of “defensive strategies”, “stoppage coach” “attacking strategies” basically ■■■■ like that. So while Harvey might be the defensive coach, it could well be the stoppage coach in charge of the kick ins

There was a question earlier about what we want to see from Skippy and the midfield group for the rest of the year. Here are my three steps:

• Reset our structures, so that we are not borrowing from other parts of the ground to outnumber at the ball. It just makes it difficult to assess the individual performance of many of our players. It’s not working anyway.
  • This will expose our young midfield, to have to go toe-to-toe, man-against-man, in the midfield. And let’s be realistic, they will probably be well beaten…initially.
  • Then with the truth of their performance deficiencies revealed, I just want to see gradual signs that our midfielders are improving their individual games over the rest of the year, improving their contested ball, so that they will one day hold their own as an AFL midfield.
4 Likes

Only when we lose.

So Hooker, Daniher and Orazio, forward or mid?
Am l doing it right?

Can we replace the canon with a trebuchet? Skippy needs something more dramatic.

Who would be your picks for line coach positions if they were all jettisoned?

Agreed. Clarkson for instance was a very ordinary VFL/AFL player but his coaching record speaks for itself.

1 Like

You can’t tell either way though.

Clarkson, Sheedy, Malthouse were average players

Barrassi, Blight, Matthew’s were top 10 all time.

Team plays good = players
Team is bad = evil terribad coach Skipworth
:thinking:

1 Like

Yep fair call. Voss also, fun player, ordinary coach. Schimmelbusch similar. That’s why doing the background work prior to any appointments is super important these days.

Parkin and Matthews premiership coaches, both got sacked ( Parkin several times)

I submit 251 games for RFC , star in Grand Finals , Captain of one of the powerhouse teams of all time , indicates someone that was more than average.

3 Likes

Richmond team of the century, yeah, yeah. He’s still just a plumber that goes ok at footy.

Jokes. I never saw him play. But more he isn’t a Matthews, blight level of player.

Edit: although not many are that level.

I did see him play. A lot. Richmond played so many finals in that era .Constantly on TV. Tough , but skilled and cunning player whose guts I hated but still admired.

2 Likes

McCartney, who did not play at AFL level, enjoyed a good reputation at Essendon, sufficient to get him the coaching job at the Doggies. When that failed, he was still picked up in an assistant role at Melbourne.

So your saying where a chance to pick him up at the end of the year?

Essendon the home of former coaches.

No, just that people who might not cut it as head coach might still add value as assistants. Robert Shaw is a good example.

I know you directed this question at Reboot, but while he’s considering his reply, here are the three I’d go for:

Caracella, Winderlich and Kelly.

Bewick out of the equation?

1 Like

Sling shot would be better. We could send him back to Melbourne.