Hayden Skipworth

As I started this thread, I am now changing my tact here a bit.

I’m willing to give Skipworth to the end of the season to show us something. In light of Neeld getting the sack, and it seemingly showing that on gameday and throughout the week Skippy had little say, it’s now time for Skippy to show something.

I’m so glad the Cancer Neeld has left. Let’s see the assistant coaches show us what they can do now.

Genuine question: How are you going to evaluate his performance?

2 Likes

5 Likes

I think it would be good to see a difference in performance between the midfield from rounds 1-8 and 9-23.

There’s a whole range of stats that may show this, but from the naked eye we can all see that our midfield has played completely sh it.

If I were to put it down to a few things I’d like to see:

• Centre Clearance numbers up
  • Less Inside 50’s conceded
  • Less uncontested marks conceded (show’s we mitigate opposition spread)
  • Play Dylan Clarke
1 Like

An excellent question.

People have been carrying on like his word is sacrosanct and above all when it comes to selection of players etc,… completely disregarding that there are umpteen other coaches involved in decision making, a selection committee outside them, and above all a Head Coach that makes the absolute call, (or should be) that ultimately either agree with an assessment, or would override any opinion he may or may not have if they think it’s wrong.

It’s staggering.

1 Like

with a cannon?

2 Likes

Is a great cook but.

Yeah but is he a GOOD BLOKE?

I want Skipworth in the seniors at chf NOW

1 Like

Skippy to Masterchef.

Will be a great fit.

1 Like

I don’t think you can judge a persons coaching ability on how many AFL games they have played or how good they were as a player.

I think you have to judge them on their coaching record. Which in Skippys case has been about as spectacular as Matthew Knights was pre bombers. Nothing of any significance.

Hows our player development been since he has been in it and ran it?

How far have our kids progressed?

How many VFL flags did he coach, or VFL GF appearances above expectation?

He has one claim to fame and that is a 2017 coaching of a forward line that was good. It also had one of the most stacked for talent forward lines in the league.

I see no reason to support Skipworth in remaining at Essendon unless there is a dramatic turnaround of our midfield in the next 6 weeks.

1 Like

If he is so obviously poor the following just have to be asked.

How come he has been with us for so long?
How come he has been promoted during his time with us?
Who is responsible for that, and are they going to get the ■■■■ first?

I must admit I wonder why some focus on this bloke, who had the best functioning forward line in the comp last year, while our defence coach who has had the same kick out strategy for 2 seasons straight does not even have his own thread?
Oh that’s right, he is a Bomber legend, he gets off scott free.

I don’t think the defensive coach is responsible for kick in strategies.

The defensive coach is responsible for all the defensive actions across the field, when we don’t have the ball… that’s my understanding.
It’s not just, ‘coaches the back 6’. He coaches the whole team on defensive set ups. Which is also pretty terrible at the moment.

1 Like

Serious? I call BS

I’m guessing it would be a combination of Neeld, Harding and the defensive coach.

Did Skipworth coach well in the week leading up to the Port game but he had a shocker leading into Anzac Day? Is he responsible for the personnel (and lack of) and their inconsistency? We have no visibility at all of the things that matter to determine if he is a good or bad coach. Hence we’re reliant on dribbles of information coming out of the club which offer competing views and possibly reflect the bias of the insider.
Worsfold should know if his assistants can coach so you would expect any under performers to be moved on at the end of this season. Hird praised Skipworth (on his podcast) and if he thought Skippy was crap he would’ve said nothing (he never mentioned Neeld when asked to evaluate the coaching staff).
Whether any of the assistants stay or go might just depend on what replacements are available. I agree with those on here suggesting Goddard would make a good assistant.

2 Likes

Harvey doesn’t get a ‘legend’ pass from me. I’ve had him for the cannon all along.

1 Like

No doubt, but you appear to have Skipworth heading the queue for the cannon, while I would have MH front & centre.
I was always curious that Bomber T & MH were never in the coaching ranks at the same time at EFC, & I suspect it’s because BT never had much time for MH’s footy nous & intelligence.

Well my candidates for ‘the cannon list’ is based on what I actually know, as opposed to think might be the case. Hence no comment on Corrigan. I don’t know anything. but Harvey and Skipworth; Straight into the sun for mine. And I’ve been pretty solid on that for quite a while.

3 Likes