Health Insurance

Health Insurance is a necessary evil unless you want to go public and, the older you get, the more you need it and the more expensive it gets. I've just had an experience with my current insurer (Health.com.au) where I discovered that they were charging me the highest rate of loading on my hospital cover (43%) when they should have been charging me 2%. I only found this out by querying their payments when I found that my ex was being charged the same amount and this covered her and our 3 kids. They've admitted their error but now I have to chase Australian Unity because they were apparently doing the same thing for the 2 years previous. Not sure how I'm going to get the money out of them.

Anyone had a similar experience? Any advice on what I can do about Australian Unity? I'm really thinking of just dumping these bastards and throwing myself at the mercy of the public health system. I never claim for anything and think I'm just ■■■■■■■ this money up against the wall. The amount I've spent in a year on health insurance would easily cover any extras I spend on dental. 

I saw a show a while ago about an agency who handle these types of claims

I’m not sure what there name was though

I'm not sure what there name was though

Thanks. May look it up and see what it was. Should be something on the net. I was thinking of contacting the ombudsman and see what they can do but I'm going to give Australian Unity a chance to see if they come to the party without too much prompting. No one likes giving money away, even though they were wrong to take it in the first place. 

I'm not sure what there name was though

These guys?
CvgtcBU.png
2 Likes

George Peppard inspired me to start smoking.

Think he died last year, from lung cancer. Truly inspirational!

Health Insurance is a necessary evil unless you want to go public and, the older you get, the more you need it and the more expensive it gets. I've just had an experience with my current insurer (Health.com.au) where I discovered that they were charging me the highest rate of loading on my hospital cover (43%) when they should have been charging me 2%. I only found this out by querying their payments when I found that my ex was being charged the same amount and this covered her and our 3 kids. They've admitted their error but now I have to chase Australian Unity because they were apparently doing the same thing for the 2 years previous. Not sure how I'm going to get the money out of them.

Anyone had a similar experience? Any advice on what I can do about Australian Unity? I'm really thinking of just dumping these bastards and throwing myself at the mercy of the public health system. I never claim for anything and think I'm just ■■■■■■■ this money up against the wall. The amount I've spent in a year on health insurance would easily cover any extras I spend on dental. 

Like all insurance it always seems expensive until you need it.

Think of it like house insurance. You don't buy it because you think your house will burn down.

Best advice I can give you is make sure you take notes of every conversation and who you had conversations with. If you keep dealing with plebs keep pushing yourself up the chain or find their complaints department. With insurance its all about making lots of noise. Don't be rude, but keep making noise.

Think he died last year, from lung cancer. Truly inspirational!

Don't bring me down, Bruce.

My best form of insurance is betting large sums of money against Essendon every week. Works a charm.

1 Like

Like all insurance it always seems expensive until you need it.

Think of it like house insurance. You don't buy it because you think your house will burn down.

Best advice I can give you is make sure you take notes of every conversation and who you had conversations with. If you keep dealing with plebs keep pushing yourself up the chain or find their complaints department. With insurance its all about making lots of noise. Don't be rude, but keep making noise.

Have done just that. Thanks for the advice Soulnet. Getting somewhere. Australian Unity have been painful but I can understand that since I'm no longer paying them any premiums there is a natural reluctance to get anything done in a hurry but I am making progress and have kept it "nice". Problem seems to have been at Medibank Private who didn't forward on any loading advice. My payments to my current health insurer have been revised down by 40% and they're giving me a refund for being overcharged so that's good. May stick with them for a while until this is all sorted. Now to start claiming on a shiteload of dental and optical.

There;s been a number of posts recently re: Health Insurance and it;s benefits or o/wise and out of pocket expenses complaints, etc, and a search revealed that they were spread across a range of threads, so I thought I’d revive this old thread actually dedicated to the subject, and post this here for anone that may be interested in contributing to an upcoming 4 Corners expose’ on the industry.

You know who charges heaps that is out of pocket?

Anesthetists.

1 Like

Anaesthetists are a con because most of the time you don’t get a choice and often don’t get told what the gap is until you wake up. Just finished 4 years working in health insurance.

There are good and bad aspects not know your policy and avoid NIB unless you have no intention of actually using your insurance and only have it for tax reasons

Hmmm, … interesting info @Allblack.

Any info on AHM by chance??

I’m convinced that providers only offered claims on crap like reiki and homeopathy because they knew no one would actually claim on them.

I didn't get on board years ago for the rebate guarantee. So I decided to just take my chances in the public season. To me it is too expensive and it seems you still have to pay quite a bit on top of you ever claim. I'll probably regret it one day but everytime I have used public system it's worked for me. Fingers crossed. Dental is the only thing I don't think is on the public system and from what I can tell isn't really sort of covered very well in private anyway'

AHM are generally pretty clean. I liked their extras. From a hospital point of view they seemed to pay their way.

Cool. I’m with them for extras. Cheers.

In reply to @Tezza_the_King, …

"Dental is the only thing I don’t think is on the public system and from what I can tell isn’t really sort of covered very well in private anyway’

They are pretty good on the Dental thing, … No waiting periods for General stuff, just for a start.

Teamed with an annual Smile.com.au M/ship for around $70, it reduces OOP costs by up to about 80% in some cases.

1 Like