Here's THE TEAM vs Pies

Not to put another turn in the hedge maze but you’ve probably listed five kids who had it between the ears at an early stage. Superb drafting by Dodo. Mutch might be the next cab from that rank but given we probably need an emergent big bodied inside player the focus is on a Lang/Francis/Lav. The Blitz jury says Lang doesn’t have it between the ears yet, and they’re right.

If you’re picking on what guys might produce in another 7-8 weeks, I’m still going to back the 19 year old after completing their first pre-season over the old guy who’s been around for ever.

Agree with that. We may play finals, but we won’t be there at the end. Best result we’ve got five or six younguns playing regularly by then.

You are right of course but four of those guys were top 10 picks and were ‘ready to play’. Merrett was pick 29 but was played as a sub for much of his early career.

Other than McGrath, our current cohort of teenagers are not in that category - all of them need to develop in one way or another.

5 Likes

The only stat worth comparing between Langford and Francis there is the 1%r’s. Which on that small sample size Francis is clearly ahead. 5.3 vs 0.8.

The pressuring of the opposition is what we need in our fwd line / competitiveness around ground and what Langford lacks. This will be why he is out of the side regardless of the 2 goals kicked.

Francis has that sheer determination to win every contest the air and at ground level, just his body held him back. He will crash packs, spoil, shepherd, he will lay aggressive tackles and also will himself to chase down and catch players from behind. To the point of exhaustion.

Despite some poor decisions and ball use I was impressed Langford got 11 tackles for reserves yesterday however and that defensive intent should be his baseline. Would have hurt being dropped for Anzac Day, perhaps the kick up ■■■ he needed.

And the rest of senior team should be on notice about pressure also. Including Jobe who has Bird and now Myers who was seriously fired up yesterday gunning for an inside mid spot.

7 Likes

Ah, so all you have to do is gift games to teenagers & it makes them great players. Why has nobody else figured this out?Carlton are a shoe in for the flags over the next decade!!! Gee, imagine how good guys like Watson & Dangerfield could have been if they weren’t developed or should I say hampered by time in the reserves.

5 Likes

i think kelly should fake an illness so we can bring in bird

Both of them dominated at VFL level.

1 Like

why can’t we try to be good. Not already good or rebuilding as the only options. Those who say that older players can’t get better forget it’s a team sport.

Think of those farkin nobodies who walked into the senior sides of hawthorn and bulldogs and tell me that systems are less important than the age/talent of the cattle.

2 Likes

I didn’t bag Francis. I just don’t see the need to bag Langford as much as people have been doing.

4 Likes

Maybe you should say that then, instead of bringing in someone else.
Or maybe I should mind my own business, and let you say what you want :slight_smile:

1 Like

The most evergreen of questions

4 Likes

Do you think youre maybe simplifying the argument a little bit too much? The coaches would be able to identify who will be able to make an impact from the get-go, compared to others who will take time to develop. theyre not just throwing random kids into the seniors and hoping for the best.

Really?

The most evergreen would be why aren’t we good and why are we essington?

Sure.
And I’m not saying any or all of them are ready to go, just that what they’ve shown as a group has been pretty impressive, even when they’re playing alongside far more seasoned, theoretically AFL level team mates.

I just think the improvement trajectory of a Mutch or Langford will be a hell of a lot quicker than a Hocking or Bird. Not to mention upside.

1 Like

Though the response was simplified, it was in answer to a simplified statement. Which basically, is 99% of everything said in here.

1 Like

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

And yes, I’m deaf (btw, deaf is the preferred term, not hearing impaired).

I’ve asked the club to provide closed captions for all the videos they make a few times for not just accessibility but also convenience. Ironically, my requests have fallen on deaf ears.

Cheers

12 Likes

this is true, but i found that HAP at least offered several examples of players that were able to make an impact right away. but yes i do agree

Ignorance is bliss.

I mentioned Francis because he’s been brought into the team to replace Langford. Just predicting that Francis could have the same output as Langford did last week, but it would be viewed differently.
Langford was poor against Fark Carlton (wasn’t everyone? ), but I thought last week he was OK, whereas someone like Green literally did nothing but kept his place in the team.

1 Like