Here's THE TEAM vs Pies

JUST WIN

11 Likes

This has literally been the whole of DPā€™s posts for the last ten years.

2 Likes

ā€œwe shouldnā€™t play kids until theyā€™ve played X good VFL gamesā€ is just as stupid as ā€œwe should play all the kids all the timeā€

Examples like Franga getting a game off 1 decent VFL performance, and McGrath getting a game in round 1 show thereā€™s a lot more to the picture than VFL & praccy match form. As there ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  well should be: player type, how they look at training, how hard theyā€™re working, the importance the club puts on them getting established, the week-to-week needs of the team, etc etc.

If we canā€™t see kids improving far past the ceiling of Howlett, Bird and Green et al, they wouldnā€™t have been picked in the first place.

3 Likes

We really do need that sarcastica font.

Iā€™m actually 100% behind the position that the coaches can & will identify who is ready & when they deserve a game. What it appeared HAP was endorsing was to simply play the kids because they are kids. I donā€™t believe any of those kids in the VFL have shown they are up to let alone beyond what Bird, Hocking & Howlett have shown even this year so I have no problem with picking on form.

2 Likes

i believe Riolio was posting philosophically. ā€œWhy canā€™t we just be good?ā€ asked the hippies who went on to negative gear our arses into rental oblivion. Because weā€™re not.

1 Like

Arses! ā– ā– ā– ā–  ā– ā– ā– ā–  ā– ā– ā– ā– . Stick that up your ā– ā– ā– ā–  filter

2 Likes

Plural only

When I think of footy on Anzac Day I just keep reliving Keplers fk up in 2007.

Would love to return the favour on them, theyā€™ve got plenty of ordinary players who could do similar.

5 Likes

Iā€™d have about 5 others in before going to Hocking or Howlett, on what Iā€™ve seen this year.
Myers & Bellcho really looked a level above yesterday, as did Bird the other week.
Hocking, Howlett & Dea; not so much.

Despite my sarcasm, Iā€™m not actually saying anyone should be ruled in or out purely because of age. On what Iā€™ve seen weā€™re not that good; and I think we should be doing a bit more development, but not full to capacity development.
I just hate this idea that people have that we have to play the mid-tier & old guys into form in the first half of the year becauseā€¦ sagaā€¦ andā€¦ finals. Attempting to play 4 or 5 guys into form, after a year off is a pretty brave way to get into finals IMHO.

Boils down to this:
If form is a good enough reason to hold back kids (which it is), itā€™s an even better reason to hold back slowish, 26 year old journeymen.
And if we donā€™t want kids to feel entitled to games by handing them undeserved guernsey (which we shouldnā€™t), why on earth would that not apply to old guys if theyā€™ve not deserved & demanded it?

4 Likes

Those same players are capable of going Mark McGough and Paul Seedsman

3 Likes

If Franga injures himself then leave him on the ground for another 15 minutes so he can go and belt some carnts.

(Sorry, just channelling my inner WOB).

5 Likes

@Henry_s_Angry_Pills

Sometimes they picking on form and other times not so.

Howlett was BOG in 2ā€™s week leading into his selection. And he only came in for Green.

Hocking was certainly not so, Bird should have been picked. Played terribly and was out for Green coming back in next week.

Stanton probably is next in the gun as not having much impact, he is playing the role as 7th defender at present. Rotating in for our small/medium defenders as required, and also some time on wing. If McNeice does well, we could potentially see McKenna then come in for Stanton.

1 Like

Makes me shudderā€¦

Luckily we saw Jordan Russell do the same thing in 2013 LOL

1 Like

That I can agree with. Iā€™m not advocating any type of gifting games to the returning players & Iā€™m certainly under no illusion that Hocking & Howlett have any huge upside. Iā€™m just not sure we actually have better options atm. Sure, no issue at all saying Tbell has been the standout for guys who deserve a game but really the main thing thats kept he & Myers out is injury, not the game Hocking & Howlett got. Iā€™ve been pushing for Bird to play because I think heā€™s a better option right now than Howlett & Hocking & his defensive side is something none of the kids can physically offer.

Itā€™s the fact that he came in for Green that irks me particularly.
Stanton should be feeling the heat. Normally plays better at the G than anywhere else.

Do you think weā€™re a realistic shot at finals?

TIPPA $26 for the medal at the tab. GET ON!

2 Likes

5-15mm, mostly in the morning and easing in early afternoon.

1 Like

I can see your line of thinking but it we had no other small fwds to come in and it would have been a trade off on say:

Howlett - experienced, tackling machine, knows his way around goals. In form (BOG in 2ā€™s)

Vs

Begley - inexperienced player, not in form

I didnā€™t see a problem with the way they went.

1 Like