Hird, Dunkley, Finals, Court?

Not sure of Sydney but I think North did a houseswap of partners. Mostly worked.

2 Likes

We were a goalpost width away from winning that first final against Brisbane, Wanganeen was almost the hero.

5 Likes

That’s why we sacked him.

Seriously, you’re Gavin freakin’ Wanganeen and miss from 8 metres out?

Pls.

3 Likes

My brother and I still laugh about that skit.

“Fillet… o… fish”.

2 Likes

Had we won, it would’ve put us on the other side of the finals draw. We’d have played FC instead of the Eagles (who would’ve played Brisbane), and would’ve played North in a PF had we won the SF. Was a strange year for us 1996.

Harsh… :smile:

My brother chose that day to get married. We kept sneaking out of the reception to watch the game.

1 Like

I recall that it was a Symonds goal, that had non Essendon supporters thinking we were over te line. Sadly, although i was only 12, i knew better!

Yep. IIRC the afl brought in an appeals thing after s similar thing in 99 with hamill.

We lost mercuri before the game then wallis, lloyd, wellman and Denham during the game. Reasonable 5 players to lose

It is still busy. Essendon wins round 22 v ■■■■ team. Essendon just manages to scrape into finals. Essendon gets belted in finals. Essendon gun announces they want to leave immediately after loss. Essendon player comes 8th in brownlow. Coach leaves. Saga rears its head again.

Screw Sydney

1 Like

And these slivers, of potato, extract

2 Likes

I was at that game. Copped sht from Brisbane supporters all game cause I had a funky US style supporters top on.

My mate clicked at the last 5 minutes it was me they where giving sht to.

And promptly joined in.

One thing to remember is that we made that prelim after beating WCE in Melbourne. The only reason we played here was due to the MCC deal …. WCE had finished higher on the ladder and won their first final. We may have lost in WA, so definitely benefited from that.

1 Like

That night against Sydney was also when Matty Lloyd ruptured his spleen and almost died

1 Like