Hold the Devon, down to our last Zac... The Team: NORTH MELBOURNE v ESSENDON MRVL , 4:20pm AEST Friday, April 19, 2019

Essendon Football Club can confirm Zac Clarke is a late withdrawal from the side set to face North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium this afternoon.

Joe Daniher has been named to replace Clarke, after the ruckman sustained a calf bleed overnight.

General manager of football Dan Richardson said the late change was an unavoidable situation.

“After presenting fine during the week, Zac suffered a secondary calf bleed overnight and in consultation with our medical team this morning, we’ve subsequently had to rule him out of the clash with North Melbourne,” Richardson said.

“We notified both North Melbourne and the AFL as soon as possible and we thank them for their understanding.

“It was our intention for Joe to play in the VFL this week.

“With injuries to McKernan and Stewart, structurally for our side today, we had to look at the key forward position so the decision was made.

“While unavoidable, the club accepts the AFL’s ruling on this decision and the financial sanction it will impose as a result."

Understandable. After all, we didn’t have a ruckman in the emergencies.

15 Likes

5 Likes

They went a week early on me. However, I did kind of call this.

3 Likes

Yeah, it doesn’t say much for their confidence in Draper does it? Why put him as an emergency? That’s the whole point, if a late change is required to one of our rucks he should be in. Joe is not a good first game back player after injury. Just shows when push comes to shove the selection committee always takes the conservative approach…

4 Likes

To be honest I’d rather Daniher rucking than Bellchambers.

Joeeeeeeeeeeeey Baaaaaaaaaaaby! Will kick 6.

Don’t stress u will get the deserved credit if it eventuates :+1:

Why wasn’t Joe names as an emergency if he was a chance? Won’t make any difference to how Norf prepare. All sounds a bit silly.

I’d rather Crazy Bomber rucking than Bellcho at the moment

It isn’t as if Clarke has managed to really achieve anything useful in the forward line in the last 2 weeks anyway.

Why not play the in form Draper?

Very frustrating on a couple of levels.

3 Likes

He probably wasn’t a “chance” so to speak. More so that a tall went down and we didnt have a tall in the emergencys

Have you seen our emergencies??!?

Essendon 2019 - the year of the dodgy calf.

Well apart from Draper who’s kinda very tall

3 Likes

And Francis, who is less tall, but not short

2 Likes

Lol ok i might have made some incorrect assumptions but JOEDAN

The focus will well and truly be on Bellchambers to carry the ruck load now.

Let’s see if he can finally get his season started today.

might?

1 Like

i’d rather finals ruckman heath hocking over bellchambers rn.