Home Ground Advantage - It's time to move back to the MCG

Yep. It’s obvious to anyone who isn’t delusional. Some people just love to ignore the simple facts.

The capacity quoted this past weekend was 100,024.

I can believe they sell the numbers above but yeah actual attendance is doubtful.

Why would the AFL be interested in allowing us to move to the MCG?

I simply cannot see it happening anytime soon.

yep maybe we can raise about $500 million to build it.

I will kick $5.

The MCG is wonderful, but I think some people might forget how good it is to watch footy Colonial/Etihad/Marvel is on a ■■■■■■ cold windy rainy Melbourne night in the depths of winter.

I just think Marvel is expensive and poorly managed. As a ground its OK.

Yeah and that’s why we’re also incapable of playing wet weather football. We can’t play in the heat, in the cold, in the wet or in simple contested situations.

I’d give up my comfort to watch a scrappy rain-soaked win rather than a brand that doesn’t stand up to finals football.

1 Like

We play Sydney at the MCG this year and get over 60000 but if we played them at Marvel we would of been lucky to get 45000. We should of stayed at the MCG and should do everything we can to get back there as soon as possible.

1 Like

Time to bump this topic because potentially there’s one good thing to come out of Season 2020.
Is there an actual home ground advantage when you take away the home crowd?
And presumably also remove their effect on the umpires?

This season, any home ground advantage comes down to;
The shape & dimensions of the ground.
Any local weather conditions (swirling breezes, under cover & dry, etc)

So, a poll.
Is there a genuine home-ground advantage at any of the following?

• Kardinia Park
  • MCG
  • Docklands
  • The Gabba
  • Carrara
  • Adelaide Oval
  • SCG
  • Sydney Showgrounds (Giants)
  • Launceston
  • Hobart

0 voters

Enough teams play at the G and Docklands that it begins to lose its home ground advantage tbh.

The only teams with a true home ground advantage are the interstate teams and Geelong because they are the only teams that play in them regularly.

Everyone else plays in them maybe once a year.

4 Likes

I’d agree with the’G offering little or no advantage.
I’m not as sure about Docklands, being a dry ang faster ground than many - I think this has caught Hawthorn, Collingwood & Geelong - relatively slow teams - out at times.
Interestingly I think Perth and Adelaide will lose their advantage with no crowds & less umpiring cognitive bias. WA no longer has has the lengthy WACA.
@theDJR has done some posts on the SCG - it still seems fat and short to me though.
Carrara supposedly can have tricky winds - not at Western Oval or Willy level but. Because the Suns are so crap, it may be less evident.
And the Giants home ground also seems odd, with its stands affecting things when there’s a breeze.

Massive advantage to Geelong on Kardinia Park: it’s the last stupidly-shaped ground in use.

5 Likes

“have”

8 Likes

Isn’t interstate travel itself a disadvantage?

Geelong get an auto 5-6 wins a year, every year from playing down there. It’s AFL sanctioned cheating.

Despite the fact they’ve plundered millions into it and it’s still a dump, I don’t mind them playing down there at all.

That’ll be one of the interesting things to actually check out.
In all other years it’s hard to seperate from the Dean Maggots Weagles umpiring & home crowd for example.
Take that away and who really knows these days?

Yes, it artificially inflates their final ladder position allowing them to make the finals and/or have a better position in the finals.

1 Like

I would have had Optus oval in Perth in the poll, before half the other options. Playing there is a massive home ground advantage. l know you didn’t have enough space for that option.

Both Hobart and Launceston have quirks that make them like no other grounds in the league.
The funny thing about them is that while I’m sure the results heavily favour the ‘home’ team, watching the games there make me think that they don’t really play to those quirks any better than visiting teams.
They should both be a Massive advantage to teams that did their research and knew the grounds.

What are the quirks?

1 Like