How close are we to winning the flag?

We won't get another player to come to the bombers for at least 20 years. We were lucky this happened after BJ arrived.

You think? This will be all past us next year. People will quickly forget and if we are looking good again, we will attract players.

Depends how long it takes to upgrade Dell. 2014 or 2015

On a serious note I don't think you can put an arbitrary number of months or years on it. It's about personnel. 

I think we are 3 players away. We need a key forward to become a worry. Daniher or Hurley (or Gumby but that looks gone). Yes Hurley "worries" other sides but if you "worry" enough about him and put the effort in he won't hurt you. He or JD need to become that. Both have talent to burn, and I can see both becoming a Buddy-type in the sense that you can try all you want to stop them but at the end of the day sometimes a 9.5/10 game from your fullback isn't enough to stop them going ape and kicking 7. 

I'm worried Hurley won't get close to that. And no-one knows, but lets have faith and hope that JD will.

The other two players are interesting. I don't think we need to strike gold in the draft (though we may, I wouldn't keep the receipt if we did).

I think 2 of Browne, Colyer, Kav, Merrett or NOB (though I'm starting to worry about what he may offer other than being that good limited try-er every side has) need to really step up, come from no-where and become best 18 or 16. I am worried about us hanging onto Browne and Colyer though.

I do agree that we need a small forward and I really want to see Dell at least given a senior list spot to have a fair crack. He'd offer more than Alwyn and Leroy, potential offspring aside.

Mind you I wouldn't mind having had Garlett simmering away in the 2's all year primed and ready to go in 2014. Here's hoping...

We are a Taylor Adams and a Dayle Garlett short of flag contention.

Plus a good run with injuries to Dempsey, Winderlich and Hurley. I don't think we're that far off. We've been terrible the last month but that's to be expected.

Agreed. But I would be throwing everything within reason at GWS to get Adams across, anyone have any idea who he supported as a kid?
We are a quality small forward and another young star (potential star) midfielder short.

We need two quality mids who can go forward and kick goals and we'll be top 4

Right now 7th seems like an accurate position for us. The top teams Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney (and Freo even tho we beat them I maintain they are the better team) are the unbeatable at our current state, and we only manage to scrape through narrow wins in the middle section of the ladder.

To be a premiership contender consistency, team work is a must.

I feel if the bulk of our 22 are not consistent and can't play together in a the free flowing manner we sometimes see.

We need more experience and we have performed well compared to last few years. If I was to predict when we will truly be in contention I would say 5?

Though it is open until we receive the charges concerning draft picks, staff, etc

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/player-profile/tom-sheridan

Local boy who supported Essendon and wants to come back to Victoria. A trade is likely to be done.

Do you have sources? This is the kid who supposedly was cheering us on in round 3?

If we loose two years of draft picks weare up  the shat,because picks can be traded to improve the list

Local boy who supported Essendon and wants to come back to Victoria. A trade is likely to be done.

Do you have sources? This is the kid who supposedly was cheering us on in round 3?
He signed a contract today. We missed out :(

I think we need to get another 20 games into guys like Carisle, Colyer, Baguley etc who are shy of the 50-70 game mark and then have a crack....plus some injury luck with Hurley, Dempsey and Licha would be nice too....but can't leave it too long as Watson, BJ, Stanton will be 30 in 2 years (or there abouts)

He signed a contract today. We missed out :(

Damn!

Simple answer is not close as we need to be. 

What we need is to score the lottery in the draft and at the trade table. 

We need to draft 2 players that become out and out stars. Think Motlop at Geelong. Hannaberry at Sydney etc etc. 

We haven't been able to do that in 10 years. Not confident it's going to start now.

Geelong got motlop with the pick we traded to them for prism all I think didn't they? Spewing we could have had him!

If you look at the lists Gold Coast and GWS have and then you look at ours we just can't compete. If we don't win next year I'm sorry to say that GC will go past us.

GC will play finals next year. The year after that the world is their oyster. They may not win the flag in 2015 but they will defiantly be a better team than us.

Having said that, we are building a good list and we have some great young kids coming through. I hope like hell that they can produce the goods within the next two years.

Had a good chat with Brendan McCarthy last year and he made a few good points of interest . He said essendons list is as good as he’s seen just needs to mature, it takes six years to be a very good consistent afl football, (70-100 games) although every club has the odd exception. Your list will challenge for the flag when your list has at least 22plus players on your list that qualify under this system . If someone has the time to do a list analysis it would be handy . Don’t include players that won’t be there next year like Lovett Murray,Hille etc

We need to draft 2 players that become out and out stars. Think Motlop at Geelong. Hannaberry at Sydney etc etc. 

We haven't been able to do that in 10 years. Not confident it's going to start now. 

Disagree. I think Dodoro has done well within the past 5 years to take some real gems (Zaka, Hurley 2008. Bellchambers PSD selection. Carlisle. Pears will be good if he can regain his old form.)
Plus don't forget guys like Browne, Nick O'Brien, Kavanagh, etc in the VFL. Daniher is 10kg away from dominating the seniors.

I do agree with you that we need to develop an 'out and out star' but I think in time Zaharakis will come to the fore and same with Hurley. Injuries can be cruel...

EDIT: don't forget we scored Bagueley and Hibberd from Frankston as mature age players.

First and second round pick gawn this year. With all that said and done, let’s go hard and try to get Taylor adams and Garlett.

Throw in Betts or a Yarran too in the free agency.

Let’s put this supplement scandal behind us and go hard at the off season market!

Depends on the draft picks sanction I guess. If we were going to have draft picks as normal I reckon a couple of years before we can challenge for the flag. We would have made the top four this year if not for all the rubbish going on. So we can't be too far off.

By the way, listening to that turncoat Robinson on 360 you would think we will never recover from this. What a flog that guy is.

I wonder if our recruiting staff are already trying to prepare a package to deal with in order to receive a high round draft pick. With Hooker, T-Bell and Crameri all signing up today (reported by Emma Q and Foggy), it'll be interesting if we offer Gumby and Jetta to a Perth based team to at least receive a 2nd rounder. 

I think our players will be ■■■■■■ hungry for it next year after being denied this year and having to play through all the crap. With clear air and a real hunger anything is possible.

Did anyone see in the Herald Sun today they printed that Essendon were last on the ladder with a wooden spoon next to them?

It was clearly stated we would be ninth. The bad media continues…