How did you come to the club

From the ASADA thread:

Would people participate in a thread over in the Dustin Fletcher Hangar if I start one about how people came to the club?

Too depressing the last few pages. Would love to hear some positive stories.

So, to follow on from Becstar’s idea, detail how you came to follow Essendon (I assume she is talking about supporters)

And if your reason is because “you’re dad was a supporter and he threatened to put you up for adoption if you didn’t” like me, then explain how he became an Essendon supporter. And if he had the same threat, then continue up the chain.

I think we had a thread on this but I’m guessing it got lost in the great blitz crash!

When my dad first came to the country they lived in Carlton as all Italians did. When they moved to northcote there was a lady that my grandma made friends with. One day his older brother and sister were out and my dad was home with his mum (probably about 8 at the time) and the lady asked my grandma if my dad wanted to go to the footy with her. So he went, think he said we played South Melbourne at Windy Hill and from then on he became an Essendon supporter. My grandma bought him a top to wear to the next game but I think he said it was Navy Blue and red sash (coburg?).

I was a mummies boy so i sided with Mum. Lucky i was because if i sided with Dad i'd be a Collingwood supporter. 

My father came from Germany when he was a kid and his family settled in Geelong. He then moved to a small country town where I grew up and naturally he’d been on board the Cats bandwagon, as was the rest of the family.

When I was about 6, I wasn’t sold on the Cats so my sister put all the teams in a hat and I pulled out Essendon. Love this club!

The little bit of irony is that I’ve lived in Geelong for the last 18 years. And the last 7 have nearly had me slashing my wrists with all of their success. Fark the Cats and fark Carlton.

My family has been in B-Town since roughly the 1400s, but my granddad spent a few years in Melbourne when he was a young lad starting out as a builder. He lived about two minutes walk from Windy Hill and started going to games there.

Dad claims that he never tried to influence me. Claims are often met with an eye roll and a cry of "bullsh*t" from Mum, however it's pretty clear from old family photos that my granddad was the one dressing me up in Bombers merch from day dot.

I still have very vivid memories of my first ever trip to the G to see us beat North Melbourne when I was 5.

I was a mummies boy so i sided with Mum. Lucky i was because if i sided with Dad i'd be a Collingwood supporter.

How did your mum become an Essendon supporter?

How did your mum become an Essendon supporter?

Lived right on the border of the Footscray/Norf/Essendon zones. Mum followed her brother and went with Essendon her sister is Norf. Know idea why my Uncle chose Essendon. 

Same way my child will. I was made to by my parents who were also made to. One of my grandfathers was also made too. My grandmother chose Essendon despite her father being a massive Collingwood man (even playing reserve s for them), but they moved from Abbotsford to Moonee Ponds so she would go to Windy Hill with her friends. The other side grandparents decided Essendon because they lived in Pascoe Vale and Pa worked at Essendon airport.

'When my dad first came to the country they lived in Carlton as all Italians did.'

The story of arrival (from my parents)

After arriving in Melbourne, they went to live in Richmond, as it was close to where my father had a job lined up (had no transport).

One of the men he worked with asked if he wanted to go to a footy game, it was at Windy Hill (he was an Essendon supporter), dunno who they played,  dad has followed Essendon ever since.

Never crossed my mind (or my brother) to follow anyone else. 

Can some mod fix the error in the thread title? It is killing me!

Basically, immigrant family grown up in Niddrie.

Left back to Europe at 6yrsold, came back here at 16 remaining a Bomber. That was a loooooong time ago...

Followed St Kilda in my very formative years because my dad did. IIRC I got upset with Essendon always thrashing St Kilda at the time so decided at around 8yo that since they were better and had nearly the same colours I'd go for them instead. 

Followed them because my dad did.

Went for Sydney until Prep, some guy said 'hey, go for Essendon'

best-decision-ever.jpg

2000 bandwagon

Followed St Kilda in my very formative years because my dad did. IIRC I got upset with Essendon always thrashing St Kilda at the time so decided at around 8yo that since they were better and had nearly the same colours I'd go for them instead. 

That is the opposite of what's happening with my nephew, at the same age.

My ■■■■■■ sister has convinced him to change to St kilda (same colours-ish) because his friends support the Saints.

My father was born in Williamstown during WWI and grew up following Williamstown in the VFA but didn’t have any leanings towards any VFL club. Mum was born in Newport but grew up in Waverley Street in Essendon. When they married after WW2, dad still had no real interest in VFL footy until my oldest sister was born in 1950. Apparently dad’s mate gave her a membership card for one of her early birthdays so dad decided he would be a good father and take her to Essendon games on a weekly basis. That got him hooked. Over the following 14 years three more siblings came along and by the time I was born it was basically a case of follow Essendon or don’t get fed. Every Saturday during the winter months we could be found at whichever ground Essendon were playing, getting there before the gates opened to watch the “twos” play before the main game. Unfortunately Dad lost his battle with cancer early in the 2000 season (after the funeral mum encouraged me to head off to the footy because that’s what dad would have wanted) and missed seeing a great flag side, but I was fortunate to be able to celebrate 1984, 1985 and 1993 alongside him.

1 Like

Grew up in the Wimmera, EFC zone, and parents went for Essendon. Roger Merrett and Glen Hawker were drafted from my town. Vaguely remember 84, 85, but not much other than the celebrations. 

Grew up in the Wimmera, EFC zone, and parents went for Essendon. Roger Merrett and Glen Hawker were drafted from my town. Vaguely remember 84, 85, but not much other than the celebrations. 

Kaniva boy? Great Essendon area.

Grew up in Tassie, only child raised by a single mother, she didn’t really follow a team but didn’t mind football itself.

Think mum had enough of me one day and plonked me in front of the tv when the footy was on to get a few minutes peace from me and I fell in love with it.

My grandfather is a Melbourne supporter and he never tried to influence me thank god as I could be in a whole-nother world of pain right now.

Fell in love with the sash and the colours and have been diehard ever since.

Chick i liked in primary school went for the Dons.