Hugh IS This McLuggage and How Many Brownlow?

Just a hunch but I reckon we have McGrath & McCluggage marginally ahead of the next few, which might be why Dodoro isn't super keen on trading pick 1 at this stage.

A real shame that Clug can’t participate in the combine testing due to a quad injury - these results could be the deciding factor as to who we go with.

I heard somewhere, i think it was Cal Twomey that said if a player is unable to participate in the combine, they might do it at another time. Especially If they are highly sort after. Or they might participate in the state combine. Either way Essendon will get the data on McCluggage if they need to. It just won’t be publicised.

OK , one school of thought is pick the best player available, but theres no "standout" so in the light of the weaknesses of the team over the last 3 years and given the defence talent we have on the list, the best goal kicking mid is the way to go. Clugg.

I still don’t understand how there can be no standout when a player averages almost 30 touches and 2 goals a game in TAC, then also plays well at champs and in the all star game. The others must be out of this world good to say there is no standout. Or is it blitz trying to find flaws? It seems most of the experts think he has cemented himself as No. 1.

I mean seriously what TAC player in the past has put up those numbers for the whole year, and that is apparently off no pre-season.

I wonder if the McCluggage v Brodie consideration is a bit like Gibbs v Cripps at the Blues. Who of Gibbs or Cripps would we want if we could choose?

I wonder if the McCluggage v Brodie consideration is a bit like Gibbs v Cripps at the Blues. Who of Gibbs or Cripps would we want if we could choose?

Cripps without even having to think.
Gibbs isn’t a bad footballer by any stretch but Cripps, easily.

Let’s make it real. Players of the same age, and players we know.

What about Mercuri v Misiti?

Must pick up.

Cripps for me too. Better player and also would more significantly improve our side than Gibbs.

Obviously Gibbs was a number one and Cripps was a 12 (I think), so I think the question is informative to the discussion about our pick one this year. Maybe Brodie’s game is more applicable to our needs?

Serious? That’s about the equivalent of choosing between Goddard and Heppell.

OK , one school of thought is pick the best player available, but theres no "standout" so in the light of the weaknesses of the team over the last 3 years and given the defence talent we have on the list, the best goal kicking mid is the way to go. Clugg.

I still don’t understand how there can be no standout when a player averages almost 30 touches and 2 goals a game in TAC, then also plays well at champs and in the all star game. The others must be out of this world good to say there is no standout. Or is it blitz trying to find flaws? It seems most of the experts think he has cemented himself as No. 1.

I mean seriously what TAC player in the past has put up those numbers for the whole year, and that is apparently off no pre-season.

Don’t be fooled. It’s out of McCluggage and McGrath.

The reason why McGrath’s now in the conversation, is because of an outstanding TAC Cup grand final performance.

McGrath is a very good footballer. A very conventional footballer. He looks like a genuine footballer with the way he moves. And he’s built like footballer. Then add his athletism… Then you’ve got people frothing.

McCluggage moves unusually. He does things in a very unconventional way. But he does it all to advantage and hits the scoreboard. The unconventional nature of his game has Essendon supporters scared off. Just remember half of Bomberblitz hated Cale Hooker because he ran funny.

Often people want players that look like conventional footballers, with their size, build and movement.

Let's make it real. Players of the same age and players we know.

I cant choose between them. Maybe Mercuri, no wait, Misiti. It’s too hard. I’m invested in the memory of both of them.

Carlton has had a swag of Bryce Gibbs, but bugger-all Patrick Cripps.

Cripps gets free rein in the clearances - Brodie would compete with Watson, Myers, Hocking, Bird, even Heppell.

We have one clean skilful midfielder and he doesn’t hit the scoreboard.

Don’t be fooled. It’s out of McCluggage and McGrath.

The reason why McGrath’s now in the conversation, is because of an outstanding TAC Cup grand final performance.

McGrath is a very good footballer. A very conventional footballer. He looks like a genuine footballer with the way he moves. And he’s built like footballer. Then add his athletism… Then you’ve got people frothing.

McCluggage moves unusually. He does things in a very unconventional way. But he does it all to advantage and hits the scoreboard. The unconventional nature of his game has Essendon supporters scared off. Just remember half of Bomberblitz hated Cale Hooker because he ran funny.

Often people want players that look like conventional footballers, with their size, build and movement.

James Hird was not a conventional football player. Just saying…

Serious? That’s about the equivalent of choosing between Goddard and Heppell.

I was meaning type of player, not factoring age into the question at all.

McLuggage plays like Jackson Merrett in U18 highlights. However, looked a far better player in the exhibition match, had a real star feel to him. Glad this isn’t my decision to make!

Carlton has had a swag of Bryce Gibbs, but bugger-all Patrick Cripps.

Cripps gets free rein in the clearances - Brodie would compete with Watson, Myers, Hocking, Bird, even Heppell.

We have one clean skilful midfielder and he doesn’t hit the scoreboard.

Isn’t Brodie a skillful midfielder in his own right?

It’s hypothetical, but if Brodie was in our side he would surely get game time on the ball. He would probably complement Heppell , Zerrett and those you mention really well.

I’d gathered Brodie was more the Cripps-type, with less than optimal disposal skills.

Personally I keep chopping and changing between Clugga and Brodie. Yes the unconventional nature of Clugga and the small body scare me but the talent and nous is immense. I really feel Brodie has JPK written all over him and we could build 10 years around him… fast outside guys are easier to find in the future than clearance beasts…

I'd gathered Brodie was more the Cripps-type, with less than optimal disposal skills.

looks so much like priddis.

McLuggage plays like Jackson Merrett in U18 highlights. However, looked a far better player in the exhibition match, had a real star feel to him. Glad this isn't my decision to make!

Out of interest I had a look at Jackson Merrett’s stats in the TAC. It made my wonder why we drafted him to be honest.

Let's make it real. Players of the same age and players we know.

I cant choose between them. Maybe Mercuri, no wait, Misiti. It’s too hard. I’m invested in the memory of both of them.

I reckon that Hird bloke went alright. The goal-kicking midfielder we want.