Hugh IS This McLuggage and How Many Brownlow?

Brett Anderson reckons Essendon are more likely to pick McGrath. He seems confident.
Mc Grath is a brighton grammar boy...see Jack Watts...Hope he doesn't take 7 years to develope into an average footballer.

Would love to have Watts in the team.

Haha even YOU, the beacon of all things positive would be sorely tested and frustrated if it takes the same trajectory as Jack Watts lol. 6 or 7 years to put it together as a reasonable footballer… farrrrk.
There’s instant gratification, then there’s Jack Watts.

The point of difference in McC is positioning re: goals - right place, right time. From highlights not a lot of penetration in kicks and handballs are soft. His vision, spatial awareness is good. Slow and steady type. McG in contrast is dynamic. His centre work impressive, reading ball of hands, a lot of give and go. He brings others into the game, is a line breaker and runs hard all day. Just the sort of player needed, a 2 way runner with desperation

McGrath is in superb physical shape. He trained as a hurdler. At this stage in his career that high level of fitness is certainly enabling him to play footy at a high level among his peers. Over time this advantage will become less sharp. He could very well be overtaken by players whose vision, decision making and goal sense are currently inhibited by bodies that are not at their peak. McClug fits the second description. Potentially more upside.

Players develop at different rates. Some peak at school. In our final year of secondary school there were 4 players widely recognised as better than a guy who played at full forward and admittedly could take a mark. You guessed it. The top 4 never played AFL. The 5th bagged over 250 goals in a 12 year AFL career.

Just dont get it wrong and draft a player who has peaked.

Brett Anderson reckons Essendon are more likely to pick McGrath. He seems confident.
Mc Grath is a brighton grammar boy...see Jack Watts...Hope he doesn't take 7 years to develope into an average footballer.

Haha even YOU, the beacon of all things positive would be sorely tested and frustrated if it takes the same trajectory as Jack Watts lol. 6 or 7 years to put it together as a reasonable footballer… farrrrk.

Especially if we took Watts at 1, and Hurley went at 5.

hahahahaha…yes indeed :slight_smile:
But I did say ‘would love to have’, not ‘would have loved to have’ :wink:

We have a slow enough midfield next year without adding Brodie to it.

We need pace and that is something McCluggage and McGrath both offer as well as being fantastic footballers.

Tough decision for Disco and co however.

He’s a hbf I thought we were going after a mid.

apparently plays mid in school footy.

very disciplined and can effectively perform a shut down role (smothered ainsworth something chronic/ lost out to mccluggage).

shaw loves him (our shaw).

exciting athletically.

i think labelling him a HBF is a bit disingenuous.

Just my own point of view, and you may think otherwise, but he’s yet to convince me he is a great centre square midfielder.

In an ideal world if we are taking a midfielder at pick 1 I’d want to be comfortably satisfied (to use a horrible term) that they were going to be above average at stoppages and be players who exert their influence here. That doesn’t mean they have to be absolute bulls like Josh Kennedy or Jack Viney types but even that Pendlebury type ability to posess great spatial awareness and agility to find the drop of the ball and dance through traffic. Will he become that? Maybe. But right now I’m not convinced.

Even McCluggage as well to be fair has a way to go in this area but I feel he will become more capable as he fills out. Even so, I am less concerned because he has demonstrated great scoreboard impact as well which gives him another dimension where he is damaging.

I dont recall many mids dancing through traffic in this years Granny.

weighing it all up, seems like MCG is the safest option. Just seems to be the best all round package with upside too.

Tough call by DODORO.

Subsequent picks will be very interesting, including rookie and CAT B.

We need goals and multiple avenues to them. Vote #1 McCluggage.

We need the player who is going to be the best player from this draft

We need the player who is going to be the best player from this draft

That’s what we’re arguing about.
A time machine would be handy right now.

SPS

So how many more weeks of this ?

How bout we trade Hepp, Zach, Watson, Hurley, Hooks, Parish n Joe Dan so we get the top 8 picks and can all just chill knowing that we will make sure we get the best.

If there’s a chance the best player isn’t in the top 8 we can just trade for more.

So how many more weeks of this ?
Far, far too many.

Time to disconnect from the internet I reckon.

I think we should pick the best footballer. I think the best footballer is McC but that is far from an informed opinion

Personally I keep chopping and changing between Clugga and Brodie. Yes the unconventional nature of Clugga and the small body scare me but the talent and nous is immense. I really feel Brodie has JPK written all over him and we could build 10 years around him... fast outside guys are easier to find in the future than clearance beasts...

Im of the opposite opinion. You can fInd beast inside midfielders late in the draft, you can’t find elite outside players with break away speed, elite decision making and ball use… That hit the score board. Unless you’ve struck gold with a Tippungwuti.

You can find inside midfielders in the state competition. You can get them as rookie picks. Off the top of my head the inside midfielders who were rookie picks: Rockliff, Priddis, Hocking, Howlett, Sewell, Kieran Jack, Shane Tuck, Barlow & Matthew Boyd.

taranto for mine is combination between brodie and mccluggage.

inside mid /genuine forward impact.

I think we’re currently going down the path of all our midfielders having a healthy balance of inside/outside as we go forward post-Watson Era.

I think is the reason why we’ll pick McGrath ahead of McCluggage as he’s close to 50/50 with inside/outside ball use. I don’t think we are even contemplating Brodie as an option unless we trade down picks.

Disco had even said we want a classy ball user with pace.

the last part screams SPS.

It screamed crap to me…

I think we’re currently going down the path…

There’s no reason to think that. We’ve got 4 or 5 who couldn’t play outside in a pink fit.

Anyone have a link to the full country v metro replay

Anyone have a link to the full country v metro replay

Here you go Ivan and others who are keen. It was a cracking game too.

Great thanks

I think we should draft the one that isn’t a Fark Carlton lover