Hugh IS This McLuggage and How Many Brownlow?

If we don’t get either McCluggage or McGrath, we probably need the two picks in the top 7.
and no key forwards thanks.

It appears we’d be overpaying something shocking, and it’s not our pressing need.

Not sure if the question has been asked…
How is he defensively? Does he tackle when needed or is he an all out attacker with very little defensive edge to him?

Honest, non-loaded question for @“THE DON!” and others who have seen McGrath on multiple occassions, how do you personally rate his kicking? On a spectrum from poor to elite, inconsistent to consistent, weak to penetrating, innocuous to damaging etc etc.

Honest, non-loaded question for @"THE DON!" and others who have seen McGrath on multiple occassions, how do you personally rate his kicking? On a spectrum from poor to elite, inconsistent to consistent, weak to penetrating, innocuous to damaging etc etc.

Good-great, penetrating, damaging, BUT can be prone to a sideways kick in the back half with little impact

Honest, non-loaded question for @"THE DON!" and others who have seen McGrath on multiple occassions, how do you personally rate his kicking? On a spectrum from poor to elite, inconsistent to consistent, weak to penetrating, innocuous to damaging etc etc.
When he gets it right it's sensational but can have occasional howlers but every player this year has had some even McCluggage. One thing I liked was in 1 final his kicking was horrible in the first quarter but then in the 2nd quarter it was perfect and stayed that way for the rest of the game. Shows to me that he can identify an issue and rectify it pretty quickly.
We have a slow enough midfield next year without adding Brodie to it.

We need pace and that is something McCluggage and McGrath both offer as well as being fantastic footballers.

Tough decision for Disco and co however.

What makes you say Brodie is slow? Looks pretty fast to me
When he gets it right it's sensational but can have occasional howlers but every player this year has had some even McCluggage. One thing I liked was in 1 final his kicking was horrible in the first quarter but then in the 2nd quarter it was perfect and stayed that way for the rest of the game. Shows to me that he can identify an issue and rectify it pretty quickly.

Ok that is interesting. Cheers mate, and tippa4lyfe.

I did just watch qtr 1 again in the links I posted above and focused more on McGrath than I had previously and his kicking was pretty ordinary. Small sample size, I know which was I was asking. He appeared rushed on most occasions. Seen him in other matches and it has looked ok without necessarily looking elite which I would really hope for in a pick 1 who is a rebounding half back who can play through the midfield. You guys have seen him play more than I at TAC cup level though so I was interested in your thoughts. Ta.

If we don't get either McCluggage or McGrath, we probably need the two picks in the top 7. and no key forwards thanks.

It appears we’d be overpaying something shocking, and it’s not our pressing need.

This thread escalates into a name and support my favourite draft hopeful to sway opinion - while disparaging other recruits and supporter’s reasons for favouring those other recruits. But that’s Blitz.

Disco wouldn’t give a fat rat’s toss bag what we think - but some of us act like he reads this thread so as to be well informed. My oh my.

Anyway.

The last five words of the quoted post, “it’s not our pressing need.” Have Blitzers even come to a conclusion, a consensus what Essendon’s pressing need is? Anyone?

Small forward. Tall forward. Any type of forward who can kick 'em.

Inside mid, outside mid. Any type of mid who can hit a target.

A running HBF who could play midfield.

A wingman, a ruckman, a utility, an orange-boy, a quality Blitz poster of any type, or even another coach in exile.

What exactly is Essendon’s most pressing need?

Ok that is interesting. Cheers mate, and tippa4lyfe.

I did just watch qtr 1 again in the links I posted above and focused more on McGrath than I had previously and his kicking was pretty ordinary. Small sample size, I know which was I was asking. He appeared rushed on most occasions. Seen him in other matches and it has looked ok without necessarily looking elite which I would really hope for in a pick 1 who is a rebounding half back who can play through the midfield. You guys have seen him play more than I at TAC cup level though so I was interested in your thoughts. Ta.

That’s exactly what he did in that first quarter I mentioned he rushed his kicks a bit but after that 1st quarter he was very composed and damaging by foot with some of his kicks to the forwards being well waited. Honestly between him and McCluggage I couldn’t say 1 is better than the other in terms of kicking in general play. But both by hand are elite and can bring others into the game by hand.

I’ve now watched a bit of footage of McCluggage, and he really is an intriguing and somewhat unique player. One thing I enjoy watching about him is that he has this very quick ‘trigger’ or release moment once he’s figured out what he is going to do with the ball. He appears somewhat sedate when lurking (reading) the play off the ball, and then he just slips in, gets possession and then bang, there is a little bit of magic that happens and he is like a mouse trap either firing off a quick hand-pass to a player in better position, or just scything the ball by foot through the goals from seemingly any position. I think a lot of this is down to his very quick and composed decision making in traffic. Really quick of mind. I’m certainly not going to doubt the recruiting team if they go for someone else, but boy I find his game very tantalising.

How bout we trade Hepp, Zach, Watson, Hurley, Hooks, Parish n Joe Dan so we get the top 8 picks and can all just chill knowing that we will make sure we get the best.

If there’s a chance the best player isn’t in the top 8 we can just trade for more.

David King, is that you?

I've now watched a bit of footage of McCluggage, and he really is an intriguing and somewhat unique player. One thing I enjoy watching about him is that he has this very quick 'trigger' or release moment once he's figured out what he is going to do with the ball. He appears somewhat sedate when lurking (reading) the play off the ball, and then he just slips in, gets possession and then bang, there is a little bit of magic that happens and he is like a mouse trap either firing off a quick hand-pass to a player in better position, or just scything the ball by foot through the goals from seemingly any position. I think a lot of this is down to his very quick and composed decision making in traffic. Really quick of mind. I'm certainly not going to doubt the recruiting team if they go for someone else, but boy I find his game very tantalising.

Great description.

Kicking is very good - as a comparison - better than Darce - tidy with penetration - based on seeing him live more than half a dozen times

I see McGrath as a very solid AFL player. Will be 200 plus gamer

MCluggage appears rather laconic and doesn’t seem to get involved as often as some mids. Maybe its because he had no preseason as some have mentioned. What he does have though is footy smarts and is pure class when he gets it. May not be the ball winning midfielder we crave but he can make the ridiculous look simple and a goal kicker. A class above

He’s the one (1)

I've now watched a bit of footage of McCluggage, and he really is an intriguing and somewhat unique player. One thing I enjoy watching about him is that he has this very quick 'trigger' or release moment once he's figured out what he is going to do with the ball. He appears somewhat sedate when lurking (reading) the play off the ball, and then he just slips in, gets possession and then bang, there is a little bit of magic that happens and he is like a mouse trap either firing off a quick hand-pass to a player in better position, or just scything the ball by foot through the goals from seemingly any position. I think a lot of this is down to his very quick and composed decision making in traffic. Really quick of mind. I'm certainly not going to doubt the recruiting team if they go for someone else, but boy I find his game very tantalising.

The french have a saying for this , and its probably not official footy idiom: its “je ne sais quoi”

Its incisive, its hard to read, its not telegraphed , its different every time. The great players have it.
After they do it, everyone says " I see what you did there". The thing is, no one predicted it, but they are just left to analyse it.

If we don't get either McCluggage or McGrath, we probably need the two picks in the top 7. and no key forwards thanks.

This thread escalates into a name and support my favourite draft hopeful to sway opinion - while disparaging other recruits and supporter’s reasons for favouring those other recruits. But that’s Blitz.

Disco wouldn’t give a fat rat’s toss bag what we think - but some of us act like he reads this thread so as to be well informed. My oh my.

Anyway.

The last five words of the quoted post, “it’s not our pressing need.” Have Blitzers even come to a conclusion, a consensus what Essendon’s pressing need is? Anyone?

A wingman, a ruckman, a utility, an orange-boy, a quality Blitz poster of any type, or even another coach in exile.

You’ve got to take into account the quality of players available in this draft.

I’d have KP’s down the bottom of the list - we have Joe, Francis, Hurley, Hooker, Brown, Hartley and Ambrose to mix and match across 5 or 6 positions. Possibly add McKernan as a fallback.

For inside mids (read slowish mids) we have Jobe, BJ, Heppell, Myers, Bird, Hocking and Howlett with a possibility of adding Langford and Laverde

For small defenders, we have Baguley, Gleeson, Kelly, Dempsey *, Morgan, McKenna

For outside’ish midfielders (read quicker than the others), we have Parish, Zach, Zaka, Colyer, J Long, Stanton

For small forwards, Fantasia, Tippa, Colyer, J Merrett, Redman, Eades, Kommer *

For ruckmen , we have Luey, Tbell, Gach and McKernan. You wouldn’t want more than 4 because to attract good ones, you need to promise them game time, and we can’t do that. If we dump McKernan, we have to pick someone moderately useful who’s happy to be on a list.

I’m hoping we’ve got small forwards, slow midfielders and rucks covered. If we draft a young ruckman, we’ve got to allow 3-4 years development and what does that say about Gach.

Then there are your midsizes, Dea, Langford, Laverde.

We could take a KP but we’d be overpaying under pick 10-15 from all accounts.

Guys might develop somewhere else, e.g. Wouldn’t be shocked if Redman was developed as a defender.

But I’d be looking classy midfielders with the first 2 picks.

MCluggage appears rather laconic and doesn’t seem to get involved as often as some mids. Maybe its because he had no preseason as some have mentioned. What he does have though is footy smarts and is pure class when he gets it. May not be the ball winning midfielder we crave but he can make the ridiculous look simple and a goal kicker. A class above

He’s the one (1)

Averaging 30 possessions per week suggests he gets involved…

He’s the one (1)

Averaging 30 possessions per week suggests he gets involved…

his all stars game he got 17, but what 4 goals? and was injured during the game?.

imagine if zaka got injured and managed to contribute goals rather than completely fade out of games.

cluggs more than solid case for pick 1. if you trade down, have to manufacture it so you get taranto and sps/ainsworth imo.

I don’t want someone because they are a ball magnet. Every midfielder practically touches the ball 30+ times a game. I want the Mercuri, Rioli type player that will touch it 20 times but hurt you on the scoreboard where it counts.
That my friends is CLUG.
Bring him in!!!

Anyway.

You’ve got to take into account the quality of players available in this draft.

I’d have KP’s down the bottom of the list - we have Joe, Francis, Hurley, Hooker, Brown, Hartley and Ambrose to mix and match across 5 or 6 positions. Possibly add McKernan as a fallback.

For inside mids (read slowish mids) we have Jobe, BJ, Heppell, Myers, Bird, Hocking and Howlett with a possibility of adding Langford and Laverde

For small defenders, we have Baguley, Gleeson, Kelly, Dempsey *, Morgan, McKenna

For outside’ish midfielders (read quicker than the others), we have Parish, Zach, Zaka, Colyer, J Long, Stanton

For small forwards, Fantasia, Tippa, Colyer, J Merrett, Redman, Eades, Kommer *

For ruckmen , we have Luey, Tbell, Gach and McKernan. You wouldn’t want more than 4 because to attract good ones, you need to promise them game time, and we can’t do that. If we dump McKernan, we have to pick someone moderately useful who’s happy to be on a list.

I’m hoping we’ve got small forwards, slow midfielders and rucks covered. If we draft a young ruckman, we’ve got to allow 3-4 years development and what does that say about Gach.

Then there are your midsizes, Dea, Langford, Laverde.

We could take a KP but we’d be overpaying under pick 10-15 from all accounts.

Guys might develop somewhere else, e.g. Wouldn’t be shocked if Redman was developed as a defender.

But I’d be looking classy midfielders with the first 2 picks.

Gleeson is not a small defender - he is playing as an underweight defender playing tall.
Kelly has one year in him. He is not fast.
Dempsey more than likely will be delisted.
Morgan is almost constantly injured, and has shown just about nothing.
Oirish is a long term project.

I think you need to revise your list of dashing small defenders.