I am the greatest - Muhammad Ali

R.I.P.

Another great has left us.

Will be watching "When we were kings" after the game tonight.
Or in my case, now that I’ve seen the goals of TIPPA and HAMS, I’ll watch it before.

I shouldn’t have to say this in this thread, but if you haven’t seen it, do yourself a favour. It’s amazing.

That is the worst article l reckon l have read in about 45 years. The same meager handful of facts repeated ad nausea.

Ali was the greatest. Not just the greatest boxer, but the greatest sports personality of all time. As a kid l followed his career from that first Liston fight. He had already earned the ire of the media by then with his brash talk, and they MSM were all hoping for Liston to put the upstart, loud mouth ‘■■■■■■’ back in his place. Well his place was not just champion of the boxing ring, but also a champion against oppression. He was smart, and he was classy inside the ring and out.

He tool on the US govt and refused to register for the Vietnamese draft. His profile was too high for the govt to ignore, and even though he avoided jail as a conscientious objector, the boxing commissioners stripped him of his titles for 3 years, when he was at his prime. He took a while to get it back. In his first fight against Frazier at MSG he had his jaw broken, but fought on. I thought he did enough for the win. He destroyed Frazier in the Thriller in Manila bout. Frazier was never the same again after that fight, as George Foreman predicted. Around that time Rolling Stone did a decent story on Ali and Frazier meeting outside the ring, and what each meant to the other. It was one of the last things l read in RS for a long time.

The bout against Foreman in Zaire has to be seen to be believed, When We Were Kings, the movie itself became a huge story when the footage was trapped in the country due to a civil was, for about 20 years. It stands as the greatest sporting documentary of all time. It chronicles what Ali stood for, and at the same time what Foreman was all about. It was Ali’s last great fight, against the biggest, baddest boxer in the world. Foreman had just done as he predicted and destroyed Frazier, knocking him down some half dozen times in the first two rounds. Ali was the underdog going into that fight, and did the unthinkable, he knocked Foreman out. That was when he should have quite. Instead he went on fighting, to pay for back taxes, or alimony or sometimes to get a hospital built somewhere in Africa. He took a few too many fights and managed to lose the unknown Leon Spinks, and still he kept on fighting. These later fights is where most of the damage was done to his health.

RIP Ali, you truly were The Greatest, and you knew it.

Don’t count the days; make the days count.

Don’t think anybody can say they walked the walk and talked the talk like him.

I’d argue the Thrilla in Manila was his last and greatest bout. The pinnacle of heavyweight boxing.

Ultimate triple threat: pretty, could talk, and boy could he dance.

Love this. Legend.

Ali did lots of fantastic interviews but none better than this one with Cus D’amato from 1970 whilst still in boxing purgatory.

All this talk about him being the greatest sportsman ever gives me the tom-■■■■.

Self-promotion is a wonderful thing.

There are other sports around.

All this talk about him being the greatest sportsman ever gives me the tom-■■■■.

He was the king of boxing when the Heavyweight Champion of the Word was the premier sportsman on the planet. Received more votes than all the other nominees combined in winning the BBC Sportsman of the 20th Century award in 2000. A field that included Michael Jordan, Jesse Owens, Pele, Tiger Woods, Sir Donald Bradman, Sachin Tendulkar, Sugar Ray Robinson, Jackie Robinson, Joe Louis, Jack Johnson and a few more. No one has to agree of course but that he was so widely regarded shouldn’t come as a surprise.

I’m interested to know more about this champion of the word and does mr Noonan know about him.

He was, too.

He was the king of boxing when the Heavyweight Champion of the Word was the premier sportsman on the planet. Received more votes than all the other nominees combined in winning the BBC Sportsman of the 20th Century award in 2000. A field that included Michael Jordan, Jesse Owens, Pele, Tiger Woods, Sir Donald Bradman, Sachin Tendulkar, Sugar Ray Robinson, Jackie Robinson, Joe Louis, Jack Johnson and a few more. No one has to agree of course but that he was so widely regarded shouldn’t come as a surprise.

What would Noonan know anyway.

Muhammad Ali was the champion of the world because he was the champion of the whole world.

I didn’t realise how much he meant to me until today when the tears came.

Probably not surprised he has passed away…but, when the news broke, the tears did too.

Jim Thorpe would like a word

Jim Thorpe was a superb all round sportsman and deserves his place on the list of greatest athletes of the 20th century. But he can get in line with everyone else.

where did weitering come in

Don’t disgrace this thread.