Impact of COVID on AFL season 2022

If you’re working in an office role you don’t need to take a mandatory test every single time you front up to work so why do these guys? They’re not front line workers or anything.

If it’s about those individuals who want to desperately know if they have COVID, irrespective of their own symptoms, why can’t those individuals just take their own tests as often as they feel they need to and all the other players and staff can just take them when they actually feel crook like anyone else who isn’t a footballer is doing? Or at most when someone close to them was confirmed positive.

We eventually have to shift from routine daily testing for these guys to just testing based on symptoms. I’m sure plenty who are really keyed into all that will tell us that isn’t now but it has to happen at some point.

1 Like

If people think the past 2 years of AFL have been screwed because of COVID, 2022 will be a disaster.

1 Like

Yeah it makes you lose a bit of interest as a supporter when there is so much uncertainty about player availability from week to week and all the carry on.

I know people take the pi$s out of the BBL, fair enough, but I usually follow it pretty intently however I’ve found myself drifting away from it in the last couple of weeks because of how much of a farce it’s become with one team having to play without nearly all their good players against a team that might be missing none or missing only one or two etc

The only thing that may be on the AFL’s side is that by the time their season starts (unlike the BBL) a lot of the players will have already contracted it. But I’m sure there will still be enough who haven’t that it will be a sizeable disruption. Then you’ll probably get some guys who get it twice etc.

1 Like

Unless they choose to “live with it”. Round 1 of the AFLW did that, and WA aside it’s largely business as usual.

1 Like

If our training report is anything to go by then it sounds like 15 of our best 22/23 might have decided to get it out of the way. Might hold us in a good spot for the season.

1 Like

Season will be shamozzle until the definition of a close contact is changed:
" * A close contact can also be someone that has spent 4 hours at the same site, workplace or venue as a case during a significant transmission event. This will be determined by Public Health"
They need to get rid of close contact concept altogether.

I read that as “no more 4 hour PowerPoint sessions from the coach”.
So some teams will have to adapt more than others.

Or no 4 hours of face to face wrestling.

Outdoor sports training is a whole other issue.

The old rule was you whether you made eye contact, and even with that they only managed to lock up Jimmy Stewart.

So I’m not too worried.

1 Like

yep thats correct…as have staff at coles on 8 hour shifts together, but not deemed close contacts…

Hard to know how often to test during season, weekly, when unwell, before travel, each training sessions. etc.

I would go weekly during preseason. unless unwell, then stay home and get tested.

20 players and staff at Essendon in isolation, on ch9 news.

Well Mark McGowan’s announcement tonight has quashed the idea of a season free of quarantine and isolation periods.

I reckon heads would have dropped collectively at Eagles and Dockers HQ tonight. That’s them basically farked over again for another season.

How do we think the AFL will manage it? (apart from ‘poorly’).

Do the Eagles and Freo spend the whole year (or a large part of the year) on the road?

Or do they do it for blocks and then come home for a block of games in Perth while non WA teams have to go over and quarantine and play? Or is some sort of fly in/fly out pseudo quarantine agreement a chance to be struck?

1 Like

AFL needs to say under no circumstances will there be any quarantine or even testing. The two WA sides must be made to hub for as long as it takes and lose their home games without compensation

8 Likes

Watch essendon be the first team to play a game against west coast at Optus this year

4 Likes

Now you’ve done it.

2 Likes

I agree. I wonder if they’ll have the balls though?

I’m sure there’s a number of cosy relationships that were formed when Perth hosted the GF this year.

Unlike the last two years every other club is free to travel anywhere and play except WA. No other border restrictions. I’m betting 16 clubs and the AFL will all agree to not travelling to Perth at all

1 Like

I don’t see how WA can allow 22 players + staff coming into the state every week from “extreme risk” areas.

Time for West Coast and Fremantle to hub for the whole year or fk off from the competition till there state is ready to join Australia again.

17 Likes

Easier if both teams forfeit the season with their squads going into a draft for 1 year with each other club getting about 5 players each (which would help them manage their own Covid unavailability during 2022).

You know it makes sense

I’d be keen to get Matt Tabener with our first pick

2 Likes

the west coast eagles created covid and are a disgusting football club who should fold and die

7 Likes

Loading up on the East Coast Eagles for the spoon.