Impact of COVID on AFL season 2022

They will allow teams in under some sort of testing/bubble arrangement surely??

The AFL should refuse. If WA wants to be like hermit crabs and shut themselves off from the rest of Australia, then West Coast and Freo will be based in Melbourne for the entire season.

1 Like

AFL should flat out refuse. They have the upper hand in all this. No team should have to do anything to enter.

1 Like

We will get a bit of a guide how the mens comp will be affected from how the AFLW deals with it.
I think the WA teams have already flown over to the east anticipating being on the road until Feb 5. Now, who knows what will happen, but they will probably be the guinea pigs for how the AFL intends to run the fixture for the men.

I don’t see why they would do that. If they can get a normal season schedule up and the only price that has to be paid is that teams have to fly in the morning of the game or whatever then they’ll do it. Hatred for WA teams aside, it’s a good result for them. They won’t throw away a year worth of WA crowd profits out of spite!

It’s 2 teams out of 18. All players and staff have had a gut full of testing and quarantine. Make the WA teams hub or they can sit out the year

4 Likes

Surely they’re not flying in and out of WA on game day. It’s a 4 or 5 hour flight depending where from

I don’t know exactly how it will work but the AFL won’t throw the WA money away, I guarantee it!!

Give WCE & Freo the choice of Ballarat, Tassie, Manuka or Alice Springs and its first in best dressed.

1 Like

They’re not throwing anything away if they hub in Victoria

I can’t imagine West Coast hosting the Adelaide Crows at Marvel or the G is going to attract the same crowd as if it were over at Optus Stadium. So there is a money aspect to it. Plus the accommodation costs (and other costs) of re homing 2 clubs.

1 Like

I wonder if WA fans can’t watch WCE\Freo live at Optus, the AFL would schedule more WCE\Freo games in the FTA broadcast time slots.

Yes they’ll lose some money no doubt. But they’re not throwing away the WA money. There will still be plenty of TV money. Probably more subscriptions to streaming services

I would love to see a West Coast home game against Essendon at Ballarat.

4 Likes

Move both to Tassie problem solved.
Freo can play home games at Launceston and West Coast at Hobart.
Tassie gets 20 odd extra fixtures and should get decent crowds at both venues

10 Likes

Any game I’ve ever seen at Ballarat is a nightmare. There was a match last year there between GWS and GCS where the howling gale was that strong that the ball was just about going backwards off the boot.

3 Likes

Proper footy.

Edit: also I don’t think Ballarat measures up to farcically windy on Tasmanian levels.

2 Likes

ahhh… the sound of hooting car horns as Walla nails his 5th goal

6 Likes

This!
And gathering round a fire in a 44 gallon drum!

2 Likes