In memoriam. Australian Journalism. Judd Wept

They have destroyed journalism as a profession.

1 Like

“They” have, and “we’ve” abetted it. Over decades.

5 Likes

You think this is rock bottom?

Yeah nah, they can “improve”.

Lol did an efnic looking person drop off her Uber eats?

6 Likes

Thread title to “kicking the corpse of journalism”?

“kicking the rotten corpse that has taken journalism’s seat at the table” would be a bit more apt

The thread creator approves of the change in title.

I despise the Judd woman so much - just as much as the Bartel woman.

Um, it’s in memoriAm, not in memoriUm. Best to get it right in a thread about journalistic standards.

Speaking of which, both the Age and the Fin Review today had headlines about somebody “taking the reigns”.

What is the world coming to?

3 Likes

King’s birthday coming up, long may he reign while he’s holding the reins and it doesn’t rain on his parade.

7 Likes

I am not sure you can describe journalism as a profession.

From Wikipedia,

A profession is a field of work that has been successfully professionalised

It can be defined as a disciplined group of individuals, professionals, who adhere to ethical standards and who hold themselves out as, and are accepted by the public as possessing special knowledge and skills in a widely recognised body of learning derived from research, education and training at a high level, and who are prepared to apply this knowledge and exercise these skills in the interest of others.

No journalists I know have ever known, have met this standard.

3 Likes

James Reyne likes this post.

6 Likes

I think you emphasised the wrong bit. I suggest the following to highlight the inability for journalism to be described as a profession.

2 Likes

guess that rules out politicians too

3 Likes

On both professional and ethical grounds?

Politics is a pastime

This is true, I agree. However I love seeing Herald Scum tweets. The responses to them flush out a tidal wave of Nazis, anti-vaxxers, Nationalists, morons, neanderthals, misogynists, cookers and just downright farking idiots. Each one allows me to go on a blocking crusade meaning I’ll never be bothered by their uneducated, inane drivel again.
Beyond that though, their increasingly hysterical and desperate tweets do give me a good laugh several times a day.

You can do this ad nauseum… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

More to the point, although there are journalism courses at universities and various qualifications that a would-be journalist may obtain, there is no requirement for a reporter or a columnist or commentator to have undertaken and of those courses or obtained any of those qualifications.

That contrasts with law, medicine, teaching and other professions where it is against the law to practise unless prescribed qualifications are held.

1 Like

Plus cadetships are probably more or less gone, as are most of the old school journo’s to teach them in the field.

That’s because all these parameters are variable and like lawyers, rhetoric and wordplay count for more than reality. (Roland Barthes is Dead)

SWWNBN (as a representative of this mould*) still thinks her job is to tell what people don’t want to hear. Um, no. Your job is to be objective and report on social and cultural happenings. Not leave the interpretation so open that allows you to create things that people don’t want to hear.

*intentional