In Pizza, We Crust

I make a sourdough base and cook it on a pizza stone ($15 at Harris Scarfe) in a regular gas BBQ. Works really well.

4 Likes

There’s really only a handful of important pizza rules.

1: Thinner = better. If I wanted thick I’d make a calzone or a bread roll
2: Less toppings = better. We’re not Seppos here… don’t try and jam on everything you have in the fridge. And distribute sensibly (don’t overkill).
3. Pineapple = NO. This is a non-negotiable.

2 Likes

Yep, I’ve cooked good pizza on a regular bbq. Just used a big stainless steel dish to cover the pizza.
But I still want a pizza oven in the back yard.

1 Like

I asked the hard hitting question of ChatGPT, and got a (frankly) wishy -washy answer…

2 Likes

Why not just add pineapple to a Mexican?

2 Likes

Hang on.
Let me ask ChatGPT

3 Likes

Tandoori chicken is the non-negotiable.
I can accept the US/Hawaii popularising the dish, and the Margherita is a wank.

I personally love hot and sweet.
And when I make my own it’s two inches high.

Can’t be having people calling out pineapple over traditional Indian and kale, roast pumpkin.
Fight the real enemy.

Anyway, proper pizza is about the dough.

2 Likes

Also, Italian restaurants were serving pizza in Melbourne in the 70’s.
And they were mini-quiches.
Americans made the modern pizza, and this traditional minimalist fetish is both historically incorrect and Such A Wank.
If you like it…fine…
But it’s Not what the Italians brought here.

1 Like

Nothing better than pineapple on an old school dirty pizza.

3 Likes

Otherwise for a woodfire pizza it has to be a margherita.

Maybe with a mild salami but thats it.

1 Like

That Telstra bloke in my area doesn’t wash all that often, so you’d call him an offensive linesman.

2 Likes

Any sort of chicken on a pizza is a major no-no for me. In fact, if it wasn’t a pizza topping in the 70s, it just doesn’t belong.

I generally run with a Mexicana (salami, capsicum, olives and dried or fresh hot chili). Leave out the capsicum and call it a Volcano…and OK.

I don’t mind a Marinara (or Seafood for @bugman5’s benefit) but only found about 3 really good ones…one the old fave in Glen Huntly Rd near Grange Rd, long gone, one on the Big Island of Hawai’i and Alexo’s in Port Fairy.

And a good Capricciosa or Margerita hits the spot too.

Coffin Sally in Port Fairy does a good Mexicana but La Porchetta in Colac is really good.

2 Likes

Salsicce too. Yum.

I can’t disagree with your general thrust.

I know when I think of @Stallion I think vanilla/mild.

3 Likes

Air pocket burnt, but this is today’s lunch.
Hot sopressa, nduja, olives and basil

22 Likes

When I was younger it was the main pizza the kids ever had whether at home or after a game of footy. Wasn’t until the last 7/8 years that I even heard of people having a problem with it.

As soon as I got a taste of meatlovers when I reached about 12 that was my main until I got to try a wood fire Margherita and I don’t think any pizza can top that option now for me anything else is just disappointing

My homemade pizza is…as a base…

Pepperoni, chilli, pineappple, egg.

Sweet, hot, umami.

Do I want anchovies for salt? Hell yes.
Do I want capsicum for crunch? Also yes.

And sure ham or bacon or whatever can replace or add to the pepperoni.

But that’s my pizza.
Sue me. I like flavour.

Edit: just don’t tell me it’s not a Real pizza because it so is.

2 Likes

That’s it - I’m off to get the pizza oven!

3 Likes