Indian minister says rapes happen 'accidentally'

This thread has gone from isolated stupidity to slightly racist. Most of those comments re:women re:attitudes can be associated with several cultures and societies in most countries. India can have it amplified as they have a larger population of uneducated people and have a greater depth of divide in their society.

And because of the other side of India where a lot of the educated, sensible population is making an effort to call out on this(and i'm sure people making these comments have done their research to check to see that the mentioned views and also associated acts are not supported by the majority), there is a divide amongst politics and common sense.

The country has a lot to work on, but that is like associating every arab as a terrorist(and I would bet some reading this do). 

I'm objective on this so read this without my username yeah.

Back on track, the BJP party or whatever sounds like a crock of ****.

I was in India in 1980. I spent a fair bit of time in one city, of one million people that now has about four million. We seemed to have heard of a rape or two every day we were there, along with plenty of robbery with assault. Western visitors to this city, and there were a heap because it was the HQ of a then very popular sect (popular with westerners), were often targeted. I spent several nights on guard duty armed with a baseball bat, waiting for an attack that thankfully did not happen to my friends that were camped on private property set up like a caravan park. The locals seemed to have had the idea that foreign women were all ■■■■■ and therefore eminently rape-able.  I don't say it is part of their culture but where there's smoke............

I have eaten indian food several times.

Wave of crime against women continues in India's biggest state

Updated 22 minutes ago

A woman was hanged from a tree in India's state of Uttar Pradesh and another was allegedly raped in a police station, in the latest incidents in a wave of crimes against women reported in the country's most populous region over the past two weeks.

Police suspect the hanged woman was raped before being murdered, bringing to five the number of rapes reported in the past 36 hours in the state, including two women who were then killed.

"The sub-inspector accused of committing the rape of the woman has been put under arrest while we have launched a manhunt for the three constables accused of being party to the crime," a spokesman at state police headquarters said.

The latest reports come after two girls, aged 12 and 14, were gang-raped and hanged from a tree on May 27, the day after Narendra Modi was sworn in as prime minister.

The two cousins, from a low-caste community, went missing from their home in Uttar Pradesh when they went to an outdoor toilet.

The next morning, villagers found their bodies hanging from a mango tree in a nearby orchard.

Workers from Modi's party clashed with police when they tried to march on the office of Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to protest against the violence, and opposition parties have demanded Yadav's dismissal.

Mr Yadav has asked the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), the country's top crime-fighting agency, to investigate the case.

The CBI on Thursday said it registered a case against three people and two police officials.

Uttar Pradesh is one of the world's poorest regions and has largely missed out on the economic boom that swept much of India over the past decade. 
Its population of 208 million is larger than that of Russia, and it has endured a string of revolving door governments that have pandered to narrow caste interests.

Mr Yadav ran his 2012 election campaign as a moderniser, advocating the use of technology to transform the state.

However, his term in office has been marred by scandals over riots, gangsterism, and now sex crimes.

His father, a former chief minister widely seen as the power behind the throne in the state, drew widespread condemnation earlier this year when he said rape laws should be softened and that "boys will be boys" - sometimes committing rape by mistake.

As in many parts of the world, conservative Indian leaders across the political spectrum frequently blame rape on the victims' dress and social behaviour.

Mr Modi broke his silence on the issue in a speech to parliament on Wednesday, saying India needed to protect and respect women and that the government needed to act.

He also asked politicians to refrain from making comments about why rape happened.

A senior member of Mr Modi's own party last week said rape was a social issue and "sometimes right, sometimes wrong."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-13/india-wave-of-crime-against-women/5520288

l saw that crime against the 2 hanged girls last week, it is sickening. Talk is cheap, let's see some action in the form of arrests and long gaol terms. 

Spent a month with my wife in India and Nepal in 2007. She says she felt very uncomfortable in New Dehli because of the attitudes of men who would "overtly look me up and down". She says she didn't feel this way anywhere else in India, we were mainly in Rajasthan, and was comfortable in Nepal. Of course we travelled together and the presence of a male partner clearly makes a difference...everywhere I might add. One of my wife's friends has a daughter who studied and lived in India. I personally wouldn't have felt comfortable if it was my daughter but she loved the experience and returned unscathed. I remember at the time of our visit there was campaign against public "perving".
Is it a **** culture?
Too metaphysical for me but I know my wife wouldn't have missed it. And nor would I.
A "no go zone" for female tourists?
My advice is that it is a "bucket list" must if travelling with a partner or a group but I wouldn't recommend solo female travel there... or in Africa or parts of Asia or South America or several places in Victoria.
And I'd definitely caution women against solo backpacking in Queensland.

Yep, seems crazy to write off a billion people (or half of them) as willing rapists.
It would be like writing off all male Australians as Indian bashers, when most of us have Indian mates that we wouldn't hesitate to stick up for if they were getting hassled.
I haven't been to India but I intend to. And some of the best places I've travelled to probably aren't recommended for solo female travellers. Mexico, parts of NYC, L.A, San Francisco, Bangkok, Belgrade, Sarajevo. Dandenong.
Belangelo state forest is pretty good I hear.

Wave of crime against women continues in India's biggest state
Updated 22 minutes ago

A woman was hanged from a tree in India's state of Uttar Pradesh and another was allegedly raped in a police station, in the latest incidents in a wave of crimes against women reported in the country's most populous region over the past two weeks.

Police suspect the hanged woman was raped before being murdered, bringing to five the number of rapes reported in the past 36 hours in the state, including two women who were then killed.

"The sub-inspector accused of committing the rape of the woman has been put under arrest while we have launched a manhunt for the three constables accused of being party to the crime," a spokesman at state police headquarters said.

The latest reports come after two girls, aged 12 and 14, were gang-raped and hanged from a tree on May 27, the day after Narendra Modi was sworn in as prime minister.

The two cousins, from a low-caste community, went missing from their home in Uttar Pradesh when they went to an outdoor toilet.

The next morning, villagers found their bodies hanging from a mango tree in a nearby orchard.

Workers from Modi's party clashed with police when they tried to march on the office of Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to protest against the violence, and opposition parties have demanded Yadav's dismissal.

Mr Yadav has asked the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), the country's top crime-fighting agency, to investigate the case.

The CBI on Thursday said it registered a case against three people and two police officials.

Uttar Pradesh is one of the world's poorest regions and has largely missed out on the economic boom that swept much of India over the past decade.
Its population of 208 million is larger than that of Russia, and it has endured a string of revolving door governments that have pandered to narrow caste interests.

Mr Yadav ran his 2012 election campaign as a moderniser, advocating the use of technology to transform the state.

However, his term in office has been marred by scandals over riots, gangsterism, and now sex crimes.

His father, a former chief minister widely seen as the power behind the throne in the state, drew widespread condemnation earlier this year when he said rape laws should be softened and that "boys will be boys" - sometimes committing rape by mistake.

As in many parts of the world, conservative Indian leaders across the political spectrum frequently blame rape on the victims' dress and social behaviour.

Mr Modi broke his silence on the issue in a speech to parliament on Wednesday, saying India needed to protect and respect women and that the government needed to act.

He also asked politicians to refrain from making comments about why rape happened.

A senior member of Mr Modi's own party last week said rape was a social issue and "sometimes right, sometimes wrong."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-13/india-wave-of-crime-against-women/5520288

To be fair, there is a hell of a lot of injustice and crime against (poor) blokes as well. When we were over there there were gang bashings, mob killings, busses running over poor people almost every day. No respect for people (especially the poor) in general, lawless place. Hellishly corrupt and very few crimes get successfully prosecuted.

Travelled widely in India during two six week visits in 1986 and 1997.  Both times I thought that I wouldn't want to be a woman travelling in that country.  Also couldn't believe just how pitiful their driving skills were.

Now Australia is happily importing these cultural traits.  

Driving in India's fine providing the bus driver remembers to blast the horn when travelling on the wrong side of the road round a blind hair pin bend.

Awesome food... Sh*t culture.

Sh*t food...Primitive culture

Travelled widely in India during two six week visits in 1986 and 1997.  Both times I thought that I wouldn't want to be a woman travelling in that country.  Also couldn't believe just how pitiful their driving skills were.

Now Australia is happily importing these cultural traits.  

Plenty of ■■■■ drivers born here too.

Amyways, I've seen Slumdog Millionaire so I assume I can be considered an expert on India, right?

I agree.

Sometimes I don't mean to rape a girl, but then I accidentally fall into her erection first, over and over again, until I accidentally ■■■■ in her.  Then I apologise, we both laugh about it, everybody wins.

I agree.

Sometimes I don't mean to rape a girl, but then I accidentally fall into her erection first, over and over again, until I accidentally ■■■■ in her.  Then I apologise, we both laugh about it, everybody wins.

I guess she's still got the honour killing to look forward to.

Would never go there as a white girl by myself.
FWIW Indians are persistent. I used to work in a shop, where after a while this Indian bloke kept asking for my number for a matter of months. Not that he ever did anything inappropriate, but surely when its clear someone's not interested you'd give it a rest.
Then I changed jobs sometime later, the second day I got there this Indian bloke immediately asked for my number in front of someone else. I was thinking, argh not again... He sort of pestered me a little bit afterwards, but again nothing inappropriate.

I'd bug you for your number, too.

Don't you have a wife? Hows that going by the way?

I heard a really disgusting rape statistic last week:

[spoiler]

So apparently 9 out of 10 people are in favour of gang rape...[/spoiler]

Awesome food... Sh*t culture.

Sh*t food...Primitive culture

Are you kidding? Have you seen Rick Steins India?  They have awesome food....OK, so they like Rape, but there food is great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk2doEQeF3I

I love Rick Stein, but the food still makes me want to puke, no wonder the Poms love it.

Bunch of c***munchers

not terribly derogatory....

My new bff at work is an off the boat Indian. I think he’s been here 7 years. Probably one of the nicest and most respectful people I’ve come across. Top bloke.

What does 'bff' mean?

Best friends forever.

You’re so old, as if you don’t know that!