Investment advice

Anyone hold, or have thoughts on, XTS?

Working in the industry, I’ve been following them for a while and bought in recently. No doubt I’m biased to a good oil and gas explorer, but a very nice speculative number for mine.

My observation is on average managed funds in Australia struggle to beat the index.

It’s hardly ground breaking its well covered.

What often isn’t mentioned is on average they manage downside risk better. So in a choppy frothy market I think they are easier to invest in.

Because even for aggressive growth funds they are diversified.

A lot of Aussie managed funds just have a stack of dough in the asx10. Why you would invest in a large caps fund like that and instead ■■■■ the fees off and invest direct is beyond me? Just another typical fund run by a muppet.

I like a managed fund in a market I know nothing about equity wise say, but I like the market. Eg A US or Europe or Asian fund as an example because I’m thinking the market might be poised for growth. No idea if that will offer a better return than buy parts of companies direct, I just can’t be arsed doing the research.

Crypto is going a little crazy.
I expected bitcoin to do well, but my 0x went crazy.
Went from around 80c last week to $1.85.
My whole crypto wallet is now worth $25k from a $6k outlay. Last week the wallet was at around $19k. Back in June last year, that same crypto wallet was worth $6.5k. Crazy.
Not sure whether I should cash in or start looking at other crypto currencies.

Shares were solid this week. Around a 2% gain across the week. For memory 2 shares hit their stop loss (one a small loss the other a 25% loss) and I bought 3 other shares.
Overall the whole portfolio is up 17.5%. That’s from a low of -23% after the March 2020 covid selloff (I’ve still got a few shares that are so worthless, if I were to sell them, it wouldn’t cover the brokerage fee…). A month ago, the portfolio was around 12% up. I’m glad with a 5% up tick across the month.

1 Like

I have some of those and BRN. Hopefully there technology will revolutionise AI. DYOR

1 Like

For the experienced investors in shares.

I have 300k in an offset that Id like an 8% p.a growth from with a 5 year hold.

Anyone used a firm in Melbourne that have an exceptional team,and great track record?

Thx

You’d like, or you need?

I can’t bring myself to invest in crypto - as I just cannot get my head around the value/function.

Are you having a dip as a pure speccy? My mate has made a small fortune on it, but I just can’t get behind it because - what is the true value?

I know there are crypto bros that believe this will become the future central currency for the world. Which I cannot see

1. Central banks need to be able to control the production of their fiat currency
  2. Governments need to be able to control their currency, if you follow Lowes comments - he is more interested in the strength of the AUD than real inflation. Tells you everything right.
1 Like

This is all in my opinion, NOT ADVICE

Two options, if you are only after 8% growth (that is not a high benchmark) - split over Vanguard funds, tick the reinvest - I would suspect after income and reinvestment - you should have a 10-15% compound growth. Can get some nice exposure into global markets through their funds.

or

Research the ASX 200 - try and pick the eyes of which companies will be in the ASX 100 in 5 years time. Pick a mixture of dividend paying companies and growth companies in the ASX 200. Companies that fall into that index, get a natural bump in SP as there is so many ETFs that focus only on investing in the index, creating a buy wall.

IMO - if you were to engage and pay a company to invest on your behalf and they returned 8% - I would be very, very disappointed.

Also - could you continue to pay the bills if that $300k disappeared? that should factor into your risk strategy

Good luck!

1 Like

I was just interested to see how it goes.
And I find it tough to track something that I’m not invested into.
I think I had a list of 20 or so cryptos to target a few years ago. This time last year I would have said there isn’t much value in it. But the last six months has been very surprising.

I’m pretty confident that my metrics of setting stop losses works medium term with shares (as long as I stick to them) but I can’t use the same metrics on crypto. The value can rise and drop wildly and there’s no real understanding of why it does.

I’m going to look into the 0x price and probably cash in tomorrow some time. It’ll pretty much cover my original outlay and I can certainly put the cash towards upgrading an old computer.

I’m wondering if the crypto pricing is a product of the financial ‘pause’ through COVID and some investors have been saving money and are just now deciding to invest which is driving prices up. Whether that’s shares, trading cards, collectors cars or crypto. I suspect there will come a point where things self correct then settle into an incremental trend.

Edit…
I think a monetary system that is universal could be used at some point in the future. But I don’t think it’ll be Bitcoin or any other crypto. I’m purely in it to see if there’s a buck to be made.

1 Like

Good on you mate yes will explore Vanguard.
And YES hard some very poor results even with dividends so I’ve taken out and ready to find another vehicle,with property off the table really with 300 *in an offset

To make it easy for us people that want a taste of the crypto action. But CBF with all the craziness…is there any fund that can do this for you?

Nothing that will give your protection under Australian laws for financial products.

Also, there is a separate thread for crypto currency.

1 Like

And that’s the bit I want people to avoid! :smiley:

Do your homework. Understand what you are investing in.

Think of it like getting a quote.

2 Likes

You will get analysis paralysis if you think too hard though.

8% is a pretty decent return…its better than the ASX over the last 20 years.

That said, return is irrelevant unless risk is taken into account. 8% in crypto isnt worth it…8% in a bank would be amazing.

2 Likes

Better than losing your money.

Do something between nothing and overloading your brain.

Was gonna say 8% would be pretty decent. Diamond hands to the moon!!!

I sold 0x. I’m happy with what I got out of it.
It was at $2.50 a few days ago and now it looks to be found it’s range in the $1.80. The volume of trading looks to be on the slide a bit so this could continue sliding if the interest in the crypto keeps sliding.
Who knows? Maybe it was those pesky reddit users driving up the price of it.

Bitcoin seems to go up and down wildly but looks to have matched it’s early Jan high. Looks like it should continue moving up with some stumbles along the way.
My other crypto (Eth, Storj, One and Maid) are all predominant tracking up with solid volume trading as well. The trend line is very different to bitcoin. Worth hanging onto for another month or so.

not yet but they are looking into making a crypto ETF in the US at least. when this happens bitcoin will rise as lots more people are happier to purchase it in a etf.

My IT mate has a buddy, and he just buys a coin every time they bring a new one out. that might be a cheap way of getting some action.

It’s been a very interesting week…
After selling 0x, my portfolio is now the same value as it was just prior to selling 0x.

Harmony and Storj have gone nuts in the last week. Harmony doubled. Storj wasn’t too far behind. Bitcoin and Ethereum have just motored along.
MAID is just tracking on the same path as Bitcoin. I think that’ll be my next sell target.

Will be interesting to see when the Musk / Bitcoin play runs it’s course and things self correct.
I think we’ll reach a high then a similar drop like 2017 drop after it’s last high where it halves in price across time.
It’s been a hell of a ride.