Is the Bounce on it's way out?

Hayden Kennedy, now the head coach of AFL Umpires (why not he’s umpired enough games!) has suggested publicly that the Bounce may finally be going.

Now there are probably some reasons for such a move.

One is the growing number of umpires at all levels with back and shoulders as a result of the position you need to take when actually bouncing the ball.

Another is the problem where because of the first problem, it makes it harder to make decisions as the controlling umpire (hard to see anything when you are crouching down!)

In recent years, it has been an observation of mine that at local and junior levels at least, that the bounce is disappearing at a rapid rate. I cannot recall a coaching session in umpire bouncing. Often anyone practicing it is either warming up or showing off.

Given the above, I am not surprised that such a suggestion is being made at the top.

Yes.

(In response to the thread title - even with its errancy. Not necessarily an endorsement.)

Nooooooooonan… tell us about the thread title.

But if I were to take this seriously, I’d note how the AFL are (publicly) saying they want to get rucks involved while discouraging any ruck skill other than wrestling (or being tall).

Nooooooooonan… tell us about the thread title.

But if I were to take this seriously, I’d note how the AFL are (publicly) saying they want to get rucks involved while discouraging any ruck skill other than wrestling (or being tall).

They want a basketball style tip off.
And bit by bit they are getting there.

No need for the bounce ever since the ruck circle.

Nooooooooonan… tell us about the thread title
Is the bounce on it is way out?

That apostrophe use is a lot more excusable than using the apostrophe to make plurals, but still demonstrates a level of … well, I don’t know.

I hope so

No need for the bounce ever since the ruck circle.

Disagree.
The bounce gives the unpredictability and rewards the ruckman who can read the bounce.
Because of it’s unpredictable nature it also means the Rovers and other mids can’t set up in one spot and have to learn how to judge the bounce and ruckmans tap.
A ball up favours the tallest ruckman and the mids will all just congregate in one spot to wait for the tap which increases congestion.

1 Like

Regarding the title of the thread, the only thing that should be gone is the recalcitrant apostrophe.

No one complains about the capitalisation in the title.

Sad.

OP: I hope so, I never liked that Danny Frawley

I hope so, stupid tradition.

OP: I hope so, I never liked that Danny Frawley

They don’t cop anywhere near enough sh*t for what is, essentially, some of the worst television this country has ever produced.

Bartlett is a buffoon, who gives credence to uberc**t guests.

Not interested in any of his opinions, and for that reason alone, the bounce should go.

The very fact that good umpires retire because they get injured and because they’re not good bouncers, while arsewipes like Nicholls continue, is testament alone.

The fact that Demetriou loved it is another key reason for getting rid of it.

I actually love the bounce down.

It’s a unique skill for an officiator of a sport to have and one that is synonymous to our Indiginous game.

I can understand that if it is a contributing factor towards umpires copping injuries then reducing it or getting rid of it should be considered.

Perhaps they should just leave it for the beginning of each quarter’s centre bounce.

It would be a shame to completely get rid of it.

Nothing better to watch the beginning of a GF or big match when the siren blows, ump holds the ball up to signal the beginning of the game, massive roar from the crowd as the ump bounces it…ball skews off towards the wing and the ump blows the whistle to recall the bounce again.

“synonymous to our Indigenous game.”

I doubt they ever did, or for that matter, could, bounce the stuffed possum skin.

I like a good bounce. So much so that if I witness a good bounce, I can be heard saying “nice bounce, maggot”.

The bounce is an anachronism, but it’s a nice touch, a nod to the history of the game. If it stops good umpires from getting a job then I wouldn’t mind if it disappeared but I would prefer that it stayed.

The bad bounces are annoying enough now that the whole thing can go.

So this is a problem now? After how many years they’ve been doing it? Umpires in the 90’s must have really suffered then with the amount of goals kicked in those days and having to bounce at every stoppage as well. I guess they just don’t make umpires like they used to!

1 Like