Is the return of Vinyl just a con to get you to part with your money?

That`s I just dug up the album " Bon Scott with the Valentines , The early years "
The shop was called metal for melbourne , Vault 6 , Banana Alley ,373 Flinders street.

2 Likes

Yes!!

For indie labels, vinyl had never disappeared, so it’s just continuing. Probably mastered for vinyl in most cases.

If radio crap is suddenly all available on vinyl, it’s defintely a money grab.

2 Likes

Vinyl has never been a fad for me…my technics 1200 turntables still working perfectly some 30 years ago…I originally paid $900 each for them and you had to go on a list as only so many came into the country each month!

My prized possession is a Japanese issue of boz scaggs silk degrees…the vinyl is so thick and heavy

3 Likes

Also Metal for Melbourne, was in that little underground section where Fed Square is now, then moved to the tunnel shop. Used to make the pilgrimage for a dons game and M4M in the big smoke couple of times a year with high school mates, sweet times.

2 Likes

Personal faves were AU GoGo and Missing Link.

There’s at least 5 in high st northcote/Thornbury now.

CD is still the most practical, transportable for quality sound IMO tho.

3 Likes

For a while I was ripping my cds into a lossless format and did hear the difference from mp3s, but I found the greatest improvement I could make was with a decent pair of headphones.

But in answer to the original question, my answer would be ‘no’.

Tons of pre-loved…and cheap…vinyl at the Fletcher Jones market on the highway in Warrnambool.

Nah I don’t thinks so. I’ve been living off selling my collection so it’s fine by me. I’ve been making more money then working long hours at my “real” job. I’ve also been running a distro & label for 5 years. I think new unknown stuff is hard to move but the stores tell me reissues etc move out the door

2 Likes

You can get some quite passable turntables from Myers for around 150 odd dollars.

Record’s are about having fun. I don’t think you need to spend a lot of money on a player.

If I was spending serious money on music I’d be after a high Def player for uncompressed digital, with a great Dac and some beautiful studio quality headphones/ pair of nice stereos speakers.

1 Like

This trend is consumer driven but yes record companies are looking to cash in without a doubt.

The renewed interest isn’t just retro cool, it’s about going back to the sound of music before the loudness wars. Due to the limitations on vinyl, music had a far greater dynamic range. With the advent of cd and digital allowing a louder sound, and the belief that louder was better, dynamic ranges on records were reduced. This led to the sound becoming compressed and brick walled.

Modern music that is released on cd and vinyl are likely to sound different unless there is a high dynamic range on the original, which is unlikely because most modern music had a low dynamic range.

So in short vinyl does have a different sound and it can come back to a preference but you’ll find that many uber music enthusiasts do prefer vinyl for that dynamic range sound.

3 Likes

Metal for Melbourne was a great shop.

A couple of friends and I did the same thing. Came down on the Overland a couple of times a year, arrive at 7 in the morning, hang around record shops all day - Metal for Melbourne, Extreme Aggression, Missing Link, Au go go, Batman Records, Collectors Corner, Gaslight - buy music and band t-shirts and generally loiter and smoke ciggies, eat McDonalds, then catch the Overland home at around 8pm. Was good fun.

When I eventually moved to Melbourne, every Saturday was a music shopping day for me. Did the circuit of most of the above stores looking for gold.

3 Likes

I have to disagree with this. You most certainly need to spend money for a good setup if you wish to hear many classic well-pressed albums as they were intended. The dynamic range, as Yossarian posted about. When I rejigged my setup a couple of years back, new turntable, amp, speakers, I put on my early 80s New Order Japanese press 12”s and turned them up. It blew my mind, I’d never heard them sound so full, with intricacies going on I’d never picked up on despite hearing them hundreds of times before. A cheap setup wouldn’t have been able to give that same sound.

4 Likes

Was it Gaslight where, once a year, you’d get your stuff for free if you nuded up?

2 Likes

Yes

I know people who spend lots on new vinyl and really enjoy the sound. I collect used vinyl, and heave a lot away, but find some nuggets which keeps me happy so each to their own! Also buy off travelling artists that move through the region. For those people that love/collect vinyl, and live within driving distance, there is a Record & Music Fair in Albury Sat 18th November selling both used and remastered plus equipment.

1 Like

I find his stuff quite boring. Really puts me to sleep.

5 Likes

Banana alley I think it’s called.
I remember there being a record/techno shop there maybe early 00s?

No one wants your cash, when they see where you’re carrying it.

1 Like