It was twenty years ago today

I remember it very well. I woke up in Newcastle at around 3am on the Friday watched Juan Antonio "the winner is Sideneeeee" give us the Olympics, jumped in the car and headed for Melbourne.

GF day walked from Richmond to MCG early (MCC member no reserved seats in those days). My sister & I sat top deck Ponsford stand in almost the same spot where I sat at the 1968 GF. 1968 was my 1st GF age 7. I can still remember Blethyn kicking out on full from the pocket below us in the dying minutes.

I think Salmon kicked the 1st & I turned to my sister and said Carlton were slower in person than on TV and we looked too quick. Then Longie is running half the field and SOS looked like he'd been stung by a wasp.

There was a prat Carlton supporter in front of us who kept jumping up abusing Essendon/ praising Carlton. He nearly wet himself when Wallis hit Hanna and Long danced around and kicked another. I told him to go home things were going to get worse; early in 3rd he started abusing Kernahan, Ratten, Williams, Brown etc.

It took 25 years but sweet revenge. A fantastic day.

we were AFL members and usually sat in the southern stand but sat top of the ponsford under the scoreboard for the GF,

went to the Thursday night training beforehand and the Sunday after at windy hill

Does anyone still have the poster with the Bombers plane taking a dump on the Blues players? Should have framed it, mine perished a long time ago..

Went to plenty of games that year, the Salmon/Ablett goal fest, the Sheedy jacket wave against WC, the prelim comeback,

Such a good year! 

Go Bombers!

Me and the old man ended up with the ball after Chris Daniher kicked the goal. Never forget it. Good times

Definitely my fave game of all time.  13 years old and watched the tape over and over and over and over and over again.  Must have watched it at least once a week for the next three years, wore it out.

Loved it.  

I think I’ll watch it again this weekend. It’s been a while. Brilliant game. I just realised I don’t know how to use my DVD player anymore so this might be tricky.

Not sure how my heart would hold up as an adult having to face them in a GF.

Daihatsu Rocky

one of those days i'll never forget

One of the most extraordinary opening quarters of football by any side in a Grand Final in the last 50 years. This is something footy fans and commentators underappreciate - how scintillating and unexpected that quarter of footy was.

Carlton with the week off - refreshed and warm favourite.
The Dons coming off a massive gutbusting and gruelling comeback vs the Crows

Dons go bang!!.........5.8.38 to 1.2.8.....BANG. Good night nurse. Good night Mil Hanna! Hello premiership!

F
What I remember."....no flooding, no forward press, the bombers were a great team a great club and enjoyed great success. Nothing like today, the shine on that premiership cup burns much brighter than our once great club today. Let's hope a great leader can emerge to light our way again.....great memories 93 and something to hold on to in these dark days..

P Hills was lucky not to have been collateral damage in the Wallis hit.

And one of the Carlton trainers had a very interesting haircut.

While we're on trainers… who was the guy who runs out to the felled Kevin Walsh in the 1984 Grand Final and gets stuck right into Dipper?

While we're on trainers… who was the guy who runs out to the felled Kevin Walsh in the 1984 Grand Final and gets stuck right into Dipper?

He went sick.

Needs to have his story told.