Jacob Townsend

Townsend would be all about adding some toughness to our side, he’s a legit hard nut, Blake probably only needed a week at the club to work our we are missing that.

53 Likes

He’s ■■■■ imo.

1 Like

Gonna disagree there, he’s no world beater, but he has decent skills and he goes really hard at the ball and man. Which immediately is an improvement for our marshmallow midfield.

He’s Smiths mentality in a bigger body.

30 Likes

It still doesn’t explain why he didn’t play last year. Half decebt guys generally find a way to get into a side. Castagna is pretty ordinary imo But has great defensive pressure. Is that something Townsend is lacking? There has to be some areas of his game that are poor if he doesnt get a game

What role did he play in the vfl last season?

1 Like

I mean he doesn’t have a scratch on Smith or Stringer as a pure footballer, but if you love the mongrel they add, Townsend has them covered by some stretch on that front.

We need more midfield grunt + he kicks goals. I’m in favour.

1 Like

Forward role only.

Pretty good timing for that one good patch

2 Likes

im content with this, he’s not a bad player

I don’t think it’s that bad. It was time to move on a heap of players and we did. We have some draft picks, but not heaps, and we need a somewhat experienced player as depth.

2 Likes

Maybe this could be part of the reason for his year. Haven’t been watching him in the vfl. Anyone actually know how he went?

1 Like

Only needs to be better than Lav or Begley to get a game.

But personally I’d rather we got games into Snelling, Ham, Mozzie and potential draftees.

My opinion is that Townsend’s skill level is about as low as they come.

But the Richmond style values running/physical commitment above all else IMO.

If we get this guy, it will have Rutten/Caracella fingerprints all over it, and I’ll prepare myself to watch a very low-skill brand of football in the coming years.

Watched him against us in the VFL finals this year. Fair despised him, bloke was a mug…

If he makes opposition supporters feel like this we will love him

2 Likes

Pests and showoffs can be fun. Mugs need a Toby Greene level of skill or Crowley level of effectiveness, for their own supporters to like them.

1 Like

Was recruited by GWS and then Tigers as a tough as nails inside mid. Was given a role change when an opportunity arose and took it with both hands. I reckon he will play inside again with us. Won the Liston Medal in 2017 (averaging 21 touches, 6 tackles and kicking 14 goals).

For all those who doubt him, I give you two weeks of training before you love him. One of the toughest, most physical players going around.

18 Likes

He chases,tackles and can snag a goal or 2

Don’t have many of his type on our list good get

4 Likes

Delisted premiership hero set for Bombers lifeline

Callum Twomey

Jacob Townsend looks set to continue his career at a third club

DELISTED Richmond premiership player Jacob Townsend looks set for an AFL lifeline, with Essendon set to give him a new home.

Townsend was delisted by the Tigers at the end of this season, two years after he played a surprise starring role in their breakthrough 2017 premiership.

>> The 2019 NAB AFL Draft runs from November 27-28. Follow all the latest news in the draft hub

He managed only one game this season, for a total of 20 appearances in four seasons at Punt Road.

But AFL.com.au understands the 26-year-old, who gained a reputation as a hard nut for Greater Western Sydney before his stay at Richmond, is on the radar of the Bombers to add to their list before the start of next season.

Townsend was spotted meeting with the Bombers at their Tullamarine headquarters last week.

RETIREMENTS, DELISTINGS AND TRADES Your club’s list changes

He played forward in Richmond’s dream run to the flag in 2017, booting 16 goals in the final five games of the year, including two in their Grand Final win over Adelaide.

But Townsend could also bring a gritty and bigger body to Essendon’s midfield mix, supporting smaller midfielders Zach Merrett, Darcy Parish and Andy McGrath.

Townsend was an extremely popular member of Richmond’s heralded culture, and administrators and former teammates are believed to have been buoyed by the news of his likely new destination.

He has played 48 games across his AFL career since making his debut for the Giants in 2012 in its inaugural season.

INDICATIVE DRAFT ORDER Your club’s latest picks

Townsend had been linked to a possible move back to Greater Western Sydney since his delisting at Richmond.

Former Richmond assistant coaches Ben Rutten and Blake Caracella, who helped steer the Tigers to their golden era, are now at Essendon, with Rutten to take over the senior role at the end of next season.

3 Likes

Just watched Jacob’s goal kicking highlights reel at GWS and Richmond. Seems to get into space by himself a lot and is an accurate and long kick for goal. Apparently a ripper clubman too. Definitely a role player but handy pickup for not much outlay. We don’t have many bigbodied hardarses (187cm 84kg) like him. Do it!

1 Like