Jake Lever

He isn’t a free agent, he is an out of contract player.

Give him a contract.

I will re-phrase.

What is the point of free-agency then if a player can move once out of contract?

Well they have done that. But he is free to reject that contract and go for one that suits him better. All fair and doesn’t give him any powers ofver the club, just has rights as a person negotiating his contract and worth.

Do you really not understand what FA is?

They offered him a contract.

Explain it to me

My understanding is a different bidding process with the option to match. No pick swaps etc.

Adelaide will be compensated for lever with draft picks/players from Melbourne to his market value, even though they have not given him a contract he was willing to enter.

So essentially, they still get paid for him even though they have not renewed their rights.

Honestly don’t see how the club is losing here.

You don’t see how Adelaide lose?

If we lost Daniher do you think we could replace him via the draft?

Which was clearly unsatisfactory. Hence his departure.

I guess it’s up to us to look after our employee well enough that he accepts our contract offer.

Honestly, if your current employment contract expired and you received a better offer from a rival company, should your boss have the right to deny you taking it? Even if they sent you on a course at some point?

1 Like

I am more of the opinion tbh that if you as a club no longer have a contract with the player then they no longer have any rights for compensation for that player. Personally FA should be completely open for all players.

1 Like

The problem with both of those ideas is that the interstate clubs would continue to suffer.

Sydney don’t suffer from it, in fact they tend to be a destination club. If you set your club up right then you shouldn’t have so many issues. There will always be homesick players but just as many of them are from “interstate” as they are Vics.

Crows might be upset but frankly it’s a fair deal

He was a pick 12 player. They get back 10 & 27.

Otten can play Levers role albeit to a lesser standard, so they’ve then got salary cap space to ensure others don’t go/pay for Gibbs.

Use their pick 17 & 2018 1st for him if Blues won’t budge on the two first rounders.

1 Like

Sydney had cola to help get players and god knows what else the AFL allowed them to do behind the scenes.

They haven’t had anyone since that was taken away.

Without throwing my hat into any side of this, I reckon comparisons with traditional non-sport occupations are useless. This league is nothing like anything else.

1 Like

Working conditions, no.

Contract law, yes.

2 Likes

Nah, I disagree. Too many variables and influences and indirect pressures, and finances, and residual income, and alternate support, and… well, totally different.