Jake Melksham

Least of our worries. He was good last night

He was ok yesterday. Es bueno

The whole team is in training mode be patient.

This next game will be a turning point for the real stuff to begin.

l agree that this season he isn't setting the world on fire and appears to be treading water. Whether that is reason enough to trade him or not, l don't know, but l don't believe we would get much for him anyway. Why trade a player you have put so much development into, just when he i on the verge of stepping up? Early days yet. 

Saw who the OP was and figured it was going to be a positive glass half full type thread.

It appears he is being given run with roles at present so not getting as much of the ball as last year.

Melksham is actually doing a serviceable job playing some defensive midfield roles. Which puts him ahead of 99% of our midfield for that particular skill. 

It's no coincidence that Melksham's best football has always happened when we have injures to Watson, Hocking or Stanton. He's not a bit-part player. He's 'The Guy.' 

Until the stage comes where he starts every game in the middle, rather than starting on a flank or even a wing and rotating through the middle, he'll just be a good, serviceable player.

He showed last year what he can do. And most of that started when Watson got injured. He stepped up into a more senior role, and by the end of the year he was taking on 3 guys at a time (and winning), outmarking ruckman, and hoofing 55m goals.  

He's the heir apparent to Watson (as far as midfield role goes) in my opinion, we'd be stupid to trade him.  

It looked like Melksham had taken the next step with his strong finish to the 2013 season when most others around him fell badly away.
However, 2014 has seen him basically revert to the Melksham of old, albeit with much less dumb decision making.
IMO Melksham just doesn't get nearly enough of the ball and isn't damaging enough with the possessions he gets. He's not an inside mid and lacks the pace to be a line-breaking outside midfielder.
That said in his six 2014 games he hasn't been bad, but he hasn't been very good either. He's been ok, but that's about it.
Unfortunately, when you have Zaharakis, Melksham and Howlett all being good ordinary footballers, Essendon's midfield lacks punch.
After 86 games and in his fifth season, it seems likely that Melksham may have reached the extent of development as an AFL footballer - he'll never be elite, but rather servicable.
I'll get flamed here, but I reckon that if a deal could be done to get a dangerous forward, or fleet-footed outside runner, then I trade Melksham (plus a third rounder pick!!) in an instant.

Agree completely.

i like him, tried to make things happen when others are timid and play safe. sometimes it fails spectacularly, but at least he gives it a whirl. 

Melksham is actually doing a serviceable job playing some defensive midfield roles. Which puts him ahead of 99% of our midfield for that particular skill. 

It's no coincidence that Melksham's best football has always happened when we have injures to Watson, Hocking or Stanton. He's not a bit-part player. He's 'The Guy.' 

Until the stage comes where he starts every game in the middle, rather than starting on a flank or even a wing and rotating through the middle, he'll just be a good, serviceable player.

He showed last year what he can do. And most of that started when Watson got injured. He stepped up into a more senior role, and by the end of the year he was taking on 3 guys at a time (and winning), outmarking ruckman, and hoofing 55m goals.  

He's the heir apparent to Watson (as far as midfield role goes) in my opinion, we'd be stupid to trade him.  

Agree completely.

Another front running mid that has had more ordinary games than good and yet continues to get sugar-coated in here.

Until he starts to rack up consistent numbers and have some effect in games he's nothing  more than just a very average player.

He's the heir apparent to Watson (as far as role goes) in my opinion, we'd be stupid to trade him.  

Big call. 

All of our midfielders should get 30+ disposals, 10 tackles, 10 clearances and 2 goals otherwise they are front running mid  who are ordinary.

All of our midfielders should get 30+ disposals, 10 tackles, 10 clearances and 2 goals otherwise they are front running mid who are ordinary.

Shades of grey? Just want them to influence games more. Look at Burgoyne. Can get 10 touches and change games. Melk and Zak need more self belief . They look scared to make mistakes.

Melk is about the only player on our team that will go for audacious passes regularly.

Calling him front running when he’s been playing defensive roles (reasonably well) and a decent amount of time up forward (where he’s poor) is a bit silly. He has not been as good as the end of last year, although part of that is the role he’s playing.
Frankly, I’ve got no idea why he isn’t starting inside more while Myers has been out.

Hang on, Bomba has him playing a defensive role this season.  Thought he played really well on Pendlebury on Anzac Day, and has been more than serviceable in the other games.  He had a disrupted pre-season as well, so I'd give him some time.  But I agree, expectations are high after his 2nd half of last season. 

Melk is about the only player on our team that will go for audacious passes regularly.

Will go for doesn't equal successfully complete.

You miss every shot you don't take.

Calling him front running when he's been playing defensive roles (reasonably well) and a decent amount of time up forward (where he's poor) is a bit silly. He has not been as good as the end of last year, although part of that is the role he's playing.
Frankly, I've got no idea why he isn't starting inside more while Myers has been out.

he's prolly not playing that role cos he's prolly one of about 3 midfielders (hocking and myers to a degree) who are actually willing and able to defensively work just as hard.

So it's two fold, they obviously use him in a more defensive role for that reason. On the flip side we already have enough players who's focus is more attacking in nature, and he would be behind them in the coaches eyes, whether that's right or fair is debateable.