James Aish

How about Collingwood’s midfield stocks? It’s massive.

North seem to have done ridiculously well

I presume for Brisbane it’s a matter of a guy who would sign is worth more than a guy who wanted out by default.
All else being equal, Aish would have to be worth more than Bastinac.

hmmmm… someone is going to be a big winner and a big loser out of that deal.

Can’t see how that was worth Brisbane doing… Pies and North won out big

How about Collingwood's midfield stocks? It's massive.

Sickening. They’re set there for the next 10 years.
Basically turned Beams and their 2015 first rounder and 2016 first + 2nd round draft picks into Treloar, Aish, De Goey.

Hopefully Buckley finds a way to blow it up again.

AFL trade tracker showing three separate deals.

So Aish did get them 26 + St Kilda 2nd rounder from Collingwood … nice trade and probably pretty fair for both parties

Then Pies swapped 28+47 with North for 34+53… which is basically equal/pick swapping nothingness.

Then it is the 3rd trade where people get screwed
Brisbane paid 17+ 26 for Bastinac + 38+40 + 2016 Round 3…

So Pies come out with fair swaps across the board… North absolutely slaughters Lions… Basically values Bastinac at Pick 20… which is overs… well overs…

Brisbane have some academy kids they need points for.

That’s the only reason it’s played out like that otherwise at first glance they look like they lost out.

Pies midfield phenom.

Pendles. Swan. SIdebottom. Adams. Treloar. Aish. De Goey. Crisp.

Brisbane probably didn’t need to be so concerned about academy points next year though… they will probably have another 4 guys that want out… and can trade for points.

I don’t think Lions have a friggen clue when it comes to list management.

Brisbane probably didn't need to be so concerned about academy points next year though.. they will probably have another 4 guys that want out.. and can trade for points.

It’s Peter Schwab. Need we say more.

Brisbane probably didn't need to be so concerned about academy points next year though.. they will probably have another 4 guys that want out.. and can trade for points.

Their list management is tough though as each time they draft someone that person leaves after 2 years. Makes it tough to get it right especially as their drafting was decent.

It’s Peter Schwab. Need we say more.

really? haha. the schwab effect lives on.

That’s the only reason it’s played out like that otherwise at first glance they look like they lost out.

Pies midfield phenom.

& Levi Greenwood

So, I don’t think there is an exact science but the suggestion that we have an old list is inaccurate. We had a huge hole in our list due to woeful recruiting in 2001 - 2006 (and some dodgy years after too) but we have addressed that solidly over the last few years.

Sorry, no. Numbers are numbers, they don't lie. 2015 we had one of the oldest 2 lists in the league, by the raw numbers. Even though it was an arguably worthwhile gamble, it turned out to be a mistake: we shouldn't have gotten Cooney and we should've let Winders retire.

We definitely can’t make the same mistake twice. We’re just not that good, there’s not that much coming through. We need to work hard & smart to make up for it.

So far we’ve lost 3 oldies and a 27 year old, but brought in 2 x 27 year olds.

Like an 80s children’s entertainer, we need more kids.

It’s also about quality not just quantity, there is no point adding in 3 more kids after pick 57 this year in a shallow draft.

If you take the profile and assume that Watson, Goddard and Stanton are the next batch to go over 2-3 years, we need to find 3-4 players over 2 years which means we need to draft probably 6-10 players to find them. With higher picks hopefully that is easier and more efficient.

It also means that chasing a 22-25 year old gun would speed up the process as you don’t have to draft 3 to find them. But you do give up the picks.

2-3 years?
2 years sees Jobe & BJ going on 33, Stants & Cooney 31.
3 years sees Gwilt, Dempsey, Hooker, Bags, Howlett, Leuney over 30, Bird, Bellcho and Myers pushing it.
Odds are against many of them making much of a contribution post 30.

Those group of guys all still going strong in 2-3 years is fantasy land.

As an idea, maybe we need to load up on the draft again next year, give away some future picks and then poach a free agent in 17 as we start the next tilt.
Agree with the idea: go hard at kids now, build a base, and when we've got 5-6 more kids we're really sure of, we can start to mess around with picks a bit.

That’s what I meant by 2-3 years, they will be gone. So even now at 30 they will start being limited.

Next year will be close to Watson and Goddards last, maybe they can eek out another in lesser roles. I can’t see Cooney there after 2016. Stanton probably be pushed at the end of the 2017 season with Watson and Goddard as his pace and slow reflexes become a liability.

So we really need to add three quality players to the side this year to cover them in the future (unlikely with 4 picks). Which puts us behind.

I agree with the other guys you mentioned too. Albeit most are not your top talent, aside from Hooker Bags and Myers, the rest are fringe.

We have almost no developing talls either KPP or rucks. Our mid stock have allot of possibility but few proven. And our inside kids are almost all 25 or over. So the cracks going forward are become gaping holes.

The good thing in that the bulk of our good players for the future are in two brackets, 23 - 27 has some quality and 18 - 22 has some potential. The question becomes, can we find another 2-3 superstars in the next two drafts and can we find another 5-6 role players. With 4-5 picks this year and a few rookies and hopefully a big haul again next year we could do it. But it’s very tough.

This year I think we need to go smallish, add as much quality small and medium players with out picks. I wouldn’t be too fussed if it meant we had too many third talls on our list. Unless there is an obvious tall/ruck we have to take best available. It will add to our core midfield group we have so they can develop together. We can fix the imbalance next year.

Next year we need to fix the KPP, inside mids and rucks for the future. The problem will be getting ahold of enough picks. It’s not necessarily the cost but more the access. It’s why I was more for the Hawks 5 picks this year than the 4 from the saints deal. So to get enough access next year, which will then fit in well with our list aging we may need to offload a future pick, and possibly a couple of trades to get higher and more picks.

With few being cut this year in the 20 - 26 age bracket, a bunch will become list cloggers and so next years delisting a should have a different flavour. I expect all of Browne, Kav, Stein, Pears, Kommer, Ashby, Hams will be considered. So depending on the number and quality of the picks we can get access to we could have a bit clean out and keep the orders for another year to coach/teach before they go at the end of 2017.

We are going to have to be smart with trading too. If we think we can replace a position with FA it may allow us to focus elsewhere.

Dodoro certainly has a tough job over the next few years.

Pies midfield phenom.

I agree, it is Crisp.

I thought trading both future first and second round draft picks was not allowed?

I thought trading both future first and second round draft picks was not allowed?
The future second round pick was the one they got from St Kilda for Freeman. Under that circumstance it is permissible to use it apparently.
The future second round pick was the one they got from St Kilda for Freeman. Under that circumstance it is permissible to use it apparently.
Ah yep. Blinded by hate

Pies midfield phenom.

Swan’s going to fall off a cliff.
I don’t rate Adams from what I’ve seen. Disposal has been cr@p. But I’ll admit I didn’t watch much of them this year.
Aish - no certainty to be any good. Has shown little so far.

Lol Pies midfield is lightyears ahead of ours. Theyve essentially bottomed out under buckley in the space of 2 years and rebuilt their midfield. Ours is still a piece of crap and doesnt look like improving and we’ve been rebuilding for over a decade.

Pies midfield phenom.

Swan’s going to fall off a cliff.
I don’t rate Adams from what I’ve seen. Disposal has been cr@p. But I’ll admit I didn’t watch much of them this year.
Aish - no certainty to be any good. Has shown little so far.

Swans got 1 good year left maybe 2.
Aish will be good. But having all those good blokes around him will make it easier.