James Hird — January 2017 onwards

There was a video clip in an online article in the West Australian by Mark Duffield. Think it was also on C7 Perth.
thewest.com.au

1 Like

It’s a pretty damn good record considering the issues we faced.

Indeed that we qualified for finals 3 years in a row despite all the goings on including the injuries in 2012 speaks to the strength of the list at the time. Very frustrating

3 Likes

Those three teams I detest. If he achieved that but not against Essendon, I would not watch the final and assume it never happened.

If he did it against Essendon. That goes beyond human emotions. It would be the worst circle in Dante’s Inferno.

5 Likes

We didn’t qualify 3 in a row. 3 out of 4.
2011, 2013, 2014

Oh I thought we missed 11 and played 12

It’s best to just block out all of our recent finals appearances… seems you’re doing well at that :grinning:

1 Like

I love that he’s back involved but let’s be realistic.

Whether it’s next year, 5 years or 20 years from now, there is no chance an AFL club would ever appoint him as a senior coach. They might want to do it, think he’s the best man for the job etc, but they will never pull the trigger out of fear of the negative publicity that may result.

5 Likes

Essendon champion James Hird an ‘absolute priority’ for Fremantle Dockers, says coach Ross Lyon
Mark Duffield | The West Australian
Wednesday, 14 March 2018 9:30PM
Ross Lyon on James Hird’s potential job
2:02 | 7 Sport

Play Video
Ross Lyon says James Hird’s strategic assistance could be a huge plus for the Dockers in 2018.
Essendon great James Hird remains an “absolute priority” for Fremantle in its hunt for an opposition analyst, according to coach Ross Lyon.
Speaking to Channel Seven, Lyon was hopeful of having further talks with Hird this week about making Fremantle’s opposition analyst’s role a “higher level strategic role” than it had been.
Fremantle’s previous opposition analyst Steve Lennie has left to take up a recruiting role for St Kilda.
The former Essendon champion, who played 253 games for the Bombers, won the 1996 Brownlow Medal with Michael Voss, the 2000 Norm Smith Medal and flags in 1993 and 2000, crashed out of football in the wake of Essendon’s disastrous 2012 supplements program when 34 players were suspended after the Court of Arbitration for Sport upheld a WADA allegation that the banned substance Thymosin Beta Four had been used by players.
The Bombers were banned from the 2013 AFL finals series by the AFL and Hird was suspended from coaching in 2014.
He quit his job as Essendon coach after a disastrous 2015.
But Hird has since been welcomed back to football by the AFL who asked him to present the Norm Smith Medal at last year’s grand final.
Lyon said he viewed the opposition analyst’s role at the club as “an opportunity” for Fremantle and football to bring Hird back into the game.
“We want to turn it into a more strategic higher-level role than it has been. I shot the breeze with a few people, people I respect (about Hird),” he said.
Lyon said the view was Hird was a great player and coach who had been strong with where he took Essendon “bar the obvious challenges”.
“It would be great for me to work with him, great for our coaches,” he said.
“I don’t think it needs to be a full-time role. I think it can be autonomous and high level. That is still in the making.”

6 Likes

I am actually surprised he’s been offered this role to be honest and also getting support from a lot of different sources including the AFL.

It makes me think that anythings possible now.

1 Like

I think what may allow Hird back in sometime over the next 5 years (if he wants) is that there is nothing substantive with evidence against Hird, and many people within footy know this; and these peole have the power to change the media story if they want. It’s not like the media that raged against Hird have any intelligence or are capable of independent thought.

But I would agree that a part time coaching/analytic role and media are more likely than Head Coach.

Thanks Littlehirdy…

I wonder if he spoke to BJ…

1 Like

The vast majority of public think he orchestrated a deliberate program to dope the players and cheat. That he ruined the club and the players lives.

They think this because that’s how the AFL wanted it to be. “Saga needs a public face” etc and it couldn’t be Robinson given GC/Cats

They don’t think he should work in football again or anywhere near a club. The vitriol that is comments section on Facebook or the MSM is disgusting, can only imagine what he would cop in public at times.

Until the truth eventually comes out this will be how it will always be unfortunately. Hopefully that all comes out sooner rather than later.

13 Likes

The vast majority of the public are morons.

43 Likes

He sounds miffed

2 Likes

Pelt.

Hirdy!

Does the timing of all this AFL approved Hirdy backslapping have anything to do with a pending court case? If Hirdy got a job with an AFL club then it proves that Fitzpatrick and all the other pr1cks could not really have had it in for him and were stopping him from working in the industry like how SEN backtracked on their job offer.

The AFL are nothing but a corrupt organisation that can do a 180 degree turn and pretend that was always the direction they were heading.

Like Hirdy was welcomed back to footy to present the Norm Smith medal, rather than tradition said it was his turn.

10 Likes

Yes, it is hard not to be cynical.

However I think Ross Lyons offer to Hird is genuine, and probably came without the AFL nudge. That AFL house have let it go perhaps has court case considerations, but I think the Freo offer is genuine.