James Hird — January 2017 onwards

Hirdy is too busy building a chocolate empire and doing podcasts to help out Fremantle.

Hird decides against job at Dockers

Travis King
JAMES Hird won’t be joining Fremantle as an opposition analyst.

The former Bombers champion was sounded out for a part-time role based in Melbourne, but has decided against taking the opportunity to step back into football with the Dockers.

Hird, who quit as Essendon’s coach at the end of 2015 amid the fallout from the club’s drawn-out supplements scandal, was one of several candidates in the mix to replace Freo’s opposition scout Steve Lennie.

“We’ve spoken to James over the last week or so and both James and the club have decided it’s going to be quite difficult in regards to his time commitments to be able to do that role,” Fremantle football manager Chris Bond told Mix 94.5.

“So we’ll continue to work on that role and keep moving forward.”

the rest is blah blah blah Fremantle

2 Likes

On the latest podcast he tells a story about a Freo supporter racially abusing Leroy Jetta during the famous game peak Saga.

Apparently James snapped when heard it and grabbed the guy in the crowd - Bomba Thompson fortunately knocked Hird’s arm away before the cameras picked it up.

34 Likes

^^fark what a legend

8 Likes

#stillmycoach

9 Likes

Love the podcast… interesting insights into coaching and playing. Lots of stories that I haven’t heard before. And no negative sensationalism… just clear assessment of games by 3 ppl who love footy. Love it.

5 Likes

His podcast this week with Hutchy was super - to hear more Hirdy and less Crawf made me realise how good he is at analysing games with totally unbiased eyes. I wish more Blitzers had his skills in this area. He obviously still loved the Bombers but can see our weaknesses as well as our strengths.
What a champion he is!

It’s not with ■■■■■■’ hutchy… it’s with Ralph!

3 Likes

Ralph Horowitz to be exact.

Damn, had my hopes up.

1 Like

Listening to that podcast makes me realise how much I miss him.
I don’t mind Woosha, but Hird is Hird.

19 Likes

Imagine the media hysteria if they knew Hirdy grabbed a spectator by the throat after the famous 2013 win versus Freo. Usually if a spectator calls an indigenous player a black cxnt they focus on the racial vilification, but we know that story would’ve been all about the coach.
Well done to the Freo mob who would’ve seen it but didn’t go all-Sarah and try to kick Hirdy when he was already besieged.
I think with Hirdy not taking the Freo job means that he will be open to possible media roles but he probably has no remaining coaching ambitions. Most insightful analysis of footy by a long way. There are others who have the same depth of understanding but they don’t have Hirdy’s communication skills or intellect.

4 Likes

Was also insightful that he disclosed he was actually sacked by the club the week of that famous Freo win in 2013. Not sure I’ve heard that officially before - apologies if I have missed it.

Maybe this is the secret to turning around our performances in the West - sack more coaches in the lead up.

7 Likes

Even though the signs were at the St Kilda game the next week, I think #StandByHird started during the Fremantle week. Maybe they sacked him but then saw what the fans thought and #EFCListened.

Gutless board. Can’t even sack someone with integrity. Must’ve been a Peter Jackson selection

2 Likes

Hirdys a Liverpool supporter Wooo!

2 Likes

yeah if essendon could never hire him again, that’d be great.

Is there a link to the podcasts please?

1 Like
1 Like

Hirdy suggested you build from your defense.

So, in light of that, what is the best back 6 + 1 that this squad could possibly name for next week. Start with that, and go from there.