James Hird — January 2017 onwards

It was a smart move by Crawford to recruit Hird to the podcast. He is no fool, runs his own production company, Not Normal Productions, but, for whatever reason has been denied any role befitting his skills in AFL commentary. He is known to be unhappy with his role as a buffoon on the Footy Show. but was seemingly lured back for the money.
There are no constraints on their commentary in podcasts which are cheap to produce and not dependant on click bait. They are running rings around most AFL commentators and Whately is learning the hard lesson that he has to dumb down to suit his commercial masters.

15 Likes

Obviously it’s starting to effect career opportunities outside of the footy show. And with the show in it’s death throws, he’s probably starting to realise those opportunities are important to him.

I finally gave this a listen.

It is very good. I’ve always liked Crawford anyway, but him and Jimmy have a fantastic rapport.

And as somebody else said, it’s great to hear Jimmy just… Being Jimmy, and talking footy.

6 Likes

Quite like Ralph ‘im not jon’ Horowitz

1 Like

I’ve spent a bit of time with Crawf and he is a very nice, and smart guy.

5 Likes

That is certainly how he comes across on the podcast. Seems like genuine warmth between the 3 of them. Love listening to Hirdy and Crawf discuss footy and Ralf keeps the show running smoothly.

The banter between Crawf and Hirdy is very funny too.

2 Likes

yep. full pantomime on the TV.

On what do you base that ‘Whately is learning a hard lesson that he has to dumb down to suit his commercial masters’? What has this to do with Hirdy and Crawf’s podcast?

At least he doesn’t have far to go.

3 Likes

I would say it’s exactly the opposite. Gerard’s show is quality and he handles the (very few) nuftie callers with a firm courtesy.
Not ashamed to say I listen every day and if I have to duck out to meetings etc I always catch up via the podcast.

2 Likes

I agree Darli. I am aware that I’m repeating myself but I’ve never been a fan or otherwise of Whately and I’ve been surprised at how much better his show is than any other that SEN have put up. Very knowledgeable and gets relevant and interesting guests on. I find different angles such as his slot with Barrie Cassidy entertaining. The NFL and South Africa test coverage were first rate.

1 Like

I really enjoy listening to Crawf and Hirdy. I think hirdy made a comment on Melksham that when he was coaching him he was suppose to guard space to not allow it out. I think this is our biggest issue at the moment, not setting up correctly which allows them to have just them extra few opportunities. If we can just get 5-10 repeat inside 50’s we’ll win. Also some of our disposal has too much risk, keep the ball moving but take the safest option. We’re not far off, less risk and set up defensively as soon as the ball has moved ahead of where you’re positioned.

1 Like

I can’t recall ever hearing a better football conversation than what Crawf Hirdy are putting out

5 Likes

Obviously there was respect back in 2006 when Crawf ventured into the Bombers camp to present a testimonial at Hirdy’s Living Legend night.
Pretty funny. Still looking for Doc Reid’s speech that night. It was pretty funny too.

8 Likes

Essendon Bombers Live Streaming Game 2018-2019 AFL on Gameday of Regular Season and JLT community series.
And watch every AFL Live Stream free online Windows PC/Mac:
PC(All version of Windows Desktop/Laptop) and Apple Mac(Macbook, iMac, Mac Mini, MacBook Air, New MacBook Pro) Devices can be watch the AFL Game Live online

Out of interest, does anyone have Hawks supporting friends they’ve talked to about the podcast? I’m curious, as plenty in here have been warming to Crawf or saying they’ve always respected the way he played, but I wonder about the flip side.

Are Hawks fans listening in and enjoying Hirdy, hearing his stories, and realising he’s not a monster or deserving of constant derision, but a knowledgeable, well-spoken, likeable champ of the game? Or other teams’ fans for that matter. Is the podcast shifting some public perception?

1 Like

Great show what he says about the way we are playing at the moment is spot on.

1 Like

Are you volunteering going to their forum and finding out?

Best footy podcast out there, credit to the guys for running with creating a great show rather than subscribing to commercial crap programming styles.

I hope they continue it for many years as it’s a pleasure to listen too.

7 Likes